Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official Barrett Jackson Thread *Scottsdale 2009*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Jan 13, 2009.

1. for the most part BJ is nothin' more than a well tuned spectacle designed to sell a "lifestyle" to a bunch of fat guys in their fifties that couldn't fix a sandwich... it's like watching wrestling... entertaining, but you should take a shower afterwards... my 2c...

1927TUDOR - you nailed it!!!!
    + Craig Jackson's whining to drive up prices is really annoying.

Dave
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '39 plymouth - hopped up Dodge flat 6 power
    '46 plymouth - same
    <!-- / message -->

2. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

exactly!

3. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I went to the Gooding sale.It did 31 millon in about 5 hours.One very original Ferrari hit close to 5 millon including cheese of 10%. They had an English auctioneer who was witty instead of a non stop "tobacco roll" auctioneer.I sat next to a guy who was blowing out a collection.One car took a 300K loss but all in all he said he was ahead.He mde a great observation."you'd never know there was a recession going on to walk in here as a casual observer".He felt prices had retreated about three years.
    Like it or not,it is interesting.You can watch some of the other sales via live feeds from their web sites.I've been to B-J twice.It is all very interesting to walk around.

4. gold5000000

gold5000000

I never knew that ford made airplanes

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm playing too but ya haven't seen my screen name come up as a winner have ya?:D With prices all over the place this year i'ts just a lucky guess when a fantasy bidder comes close. Oh well, still haivng fun guessing with my pals as we watch.[/quote]

I was bidding from day one till it ended, may have missed a car or two. My total score was 150, over bid by $1,000 on two cars, and went over the star of the auction IMO the Allard hillclimb car by $10,000. Had a good time. :)

6. I'm playing too but ya haven't seen my screen name come up as a winner have ya?:D With prices all over the place this year i'ts just a lucky guess when a fantasy bidder comes close. Oh well, still haivng fun guessing with my pals as we watch.[/quote]
    so Denise what was your score..and did YOU enjoy the "show"???

7. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I can't beleive what B.J. get out of every sale,

8% FROM the buyer and

10% From the seller,

OR it might be the other way around,I did see the run down on the show just the other night(maybe WED or Thur)

18% ON TOP of the price of some of those cars !

No wonder OLD Craig boy ain't laughing all the way to the bank.....

8. you would really shit if you had any idea what it must cost to put on such a HUGE event

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My score was 100 :eek: for Thursday, and most cars and Friday. Missed two or three while I was on a dinner date Friday night. Saturday I watched all day and evening at a buddys shop that thru a BJ watching party. No internet access there so I didn't bid. I enjoyed watching the auction very much. I don't care who has what money. If a perrson can afford to buy something they see that they like, more power to them. There were some GREAT deals to be had there and if I were in the market to purchase a car I just might have headed there to check them out. I've been to the auction in the past and I certainly see myself visiting there again in the near future.

The best part....the Hagerty commericals. I problabt saw the couger one a dozen times but laughed out loud each time. Priceless:D

I did not watch any of it today. I was alittle auctioned out. I spent the day at a friends house just hanging out.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

this is one of many reasons I so look forward to watching auto auctions, especially B-J. I like the Russo-Steele and Mecum sales as well. What a learning experience. Of course, it takes an open mind to learn and somedays I wonder about some of us.:D

11. 72sst

72sst

Steve Davis AND Craig Jackson are extremely annoying and so are the auction assistants that know they are on t.v.Kinda like watching televised poker,everyone wants to be noticed-retards!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Televised poker, what is that all about? Guess it would help if I knew how it is played, sure looks dumb fliping through the channels.

13. 72sst

72sst

Incredibly stupid.4 sports channels in a row and 2 show this shit.SOME IDIOT DRESSES LIKE THE UNIBOMBER AND EVERYONE WEARS SUNGLASSES.Hope someone falls on their ass.Now that would be funny.:D

14. I wasn't crazy about this years auction ( The ZL-1 Camero, seemed way low!) I ahve to agree with earlier post prices seemed flat.

15. 72sst

72sst

ewwwwwwwwwwwwweh!!!

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That might be the case... But those fat guys did something right to be able to afford to play. Regardless of what lesser inclined people might seem to think, most folks don't get wealthy being slow witted and useless. Most wealthy people in America got to where they are through hard work and determination.

And even if they didn't... Even if they were given the money... Does that make them lesser of a person? Nope. I certainly wouldn't turn it down.

Group bashing the wealthy annoys the piss out of me.

I didn't watch the auction. I don't think I can afford to. :)

17. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I won the fantasy bid on the 57 chevy. Have not heard a thing about how to claim my prize. I did see my name on TV so I know I won. I have emailed them and still no word. Im starting to think them asshole are going to try to screw me out of the Ipod they say you win.

I had 421 points not to bad prices were all over the place

18. krooser

krooser

Once upon a time I watched this deal cover to cover... this weekend I watched about 20 minutes of it.

Hearing endless details about where a factory Z28 spoiler stripe should break vs. a dealer-optioned spoiler made me yawn... I thought it was a fucking Bloomington Gold-style snooze-fest.

And Steve Magnante offering up advice about the advantages of using "modern" parts because 75 year old Ford parts aren't reliable is a slap in the face of everyone with a flattie, banjo rear or '39 trans that actually DRIVES their cars.

Screw the whole deal... if these elitists wanna see REAL hot rods come to a HAMB-style show.

MORONS.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  19. What was the final tally at B-J for 09?

As for rich fat guys buying/selling cars at ridiculous prices, many of those guys are not fat, but fat with money and I'll be serving them till I (they) die. Those fat cats feed me and many of you, so we really should be welcoming them instead of talking behind their backs.

Look around at any car show, we have all types of people in this hobby. As long as I've been in it, (all my life) I've always respected no matter of they are blue colars, white collar, rich, poor, getting by whatever. My customers are from all levels and either way, when we go to a show, meet on the street, we all become equals, no matter the caliber of car. Doesn't matter your religion, political ideals, race, breed, type of car you like, single, married, with kids, how you look, etc, we all respect each others' space.

With all the problems in the world we should not bring any of that crap into the hobby. I always look forward to going to a car show and being around car guys who show respect for each others style. Yes there are people who go to the auctions who may have never owned a car like ours, but we still gotta welcome them. Maybe one day they will grow and up and be just like us...or maybe not.

Lets keep our car hobby (no matter what we drive) free from discrimination or we'll end up like the rest of this divided country, hating life, hating others and eventually doing without.

Mikey
    www.MikeysPinstriping.com

20. Mikey gets it, and that makes him a better man.
    Those who don't get it never will, and that's a shame.

21. Kerry67

Kerry67

I went on Saturday and had a good time. There were some cool cars there but there were also entirely too many Camaro's and WAY too many Corvettes this year. Seams like every other car across the block when I was there was a Vette. I did get to see Ed Van Halens Nomad and I thought it was beautiful. I mostly go for the memorabilia vendors but this year there was not as much stuff I was into as in years past. Still ahd a good time though.

22. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

WELL SAID!

After all if you consider the Church slogan... its about "cars not culture".

23. krooser

krooser

I guess I used to "get it" but I don't anymore.

I've transported cars worth millions of dollars, rubbed elbows with the hobby's elite at Pebble Beach and been to BJ when it was a really cool event for those who loved cars.

Today many of these cars are over-restored just for the BJ auction. It's all about how much $$$ a car will bring. It's about getting a prime-time lot # and having the car on TV.

It's show business... it's about a whole different lifestyle than the "average" car guy could ever hope to have.

Two years ago a local shop and collector got together and "restored", and sold, a DeSoto ragtop at BJ for a world-record price... so what. I used to buy into that crap but not anymore.

I'd sooner have my stalled project sittin' in my shop. I'd rather have a Pabst at The Pile-up and talk to BobK than try to smooze with guys who woudn't have the time of day for me if we met on the street.

Most of those guys buying the high dollar stuff think out style of cars are pieces of shit...

24. Desert_buick

Desert_buick

The notion that a car is worth what somebody's willing to pay for it is true only if there's no "undue influence" on the buyer or seller. IMHO, the show-biz (pseudo-glamour) element of BJ adds a measurable degree of undue influence and the hammer price isn't reflective of reality.

Even if the prices are down from a couple of years ago (a million bucks for an LS-1?), they're still out to lunch, only less so this year.

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that it's over I can say that there was more realistic prices on many of the cars that I'd seen. There were some things that made me say WTF! as well. Example: 64 Galaxie HT with a SOHC motor that looked very well restored (I know what I'm looking at BTW) and if someone were to have it done professionally would no doubt be over $200K. I think the final hammer was $125K and I thought that was a bargain for an end user. But right after that comes a 33-34 Ford cpe with a crate motor, a Boyd tag, and silly flames...$200K?!? A ZL-1 Camaro struggles to $250K I think and apparently a real car with a slight story. Right behind it a Yenko brings $20K more and is far more "common" than the ZL-1. Even Ryan could get excited over an all aluminum BBC as delivered from the OEM. It was just different but far more realistic regarding prices in most items. A 70 HEMI Cuda HT for $175K, that's still too much but better that $400K like years past. I think all the HEMI hype is cooling down once and for all and rightfully so. I had those Mopar Muscledumpsters. Shit cars designed to be beat to death and scrapped. I had a very well done Cuda and it was one of the worst. Sexy looking, yeah, but a shit car. Any premium 50s car, high-line HTs and Convertibles, are a good bet for the long term as in 5+ years. I'm anxious to get word from "inside" at the other sales. RM usually takes a few days to post results, don't know about the 'Steele sale.

All in all I think it's a good stable place to put $$$ just as it always has been. I for one am glad to know that when the day comes that I'm in need to or just want to sell that there's some black ink in there. How lovely can it be that we enjoy our "investments" as we do?

In case you can't tell I make my living in this topic's world. I've been at it since my teens, and regret only a few things...like the 66 Ferrari 330 2+2 I should've bought @ $15K needing an interior. They were at $25K done and I knew they'd go up like the higher end cars soon. That was in March of that year and in Sept of that year they were auctioning at $85-100K. Making $$$ is always welcome and needed with the addiction (affliction?) that we share.

26. I thought it only fitting that the "first " 57 Chevy was a 210 with a stick six. If you weren't alive back then you would have thought that most were Bel Air V 8's that are everywhere these days.

27. James427

James427
    BANNED

The ZL-1 was a known rebody as was the Yenko Nova. The Ford cammer was an original X code 390 car that someone slapped a cammer motor in. The car is a $40,000 car and the 427 cammer is not an $85,000 engine. So that explains that price. The car was way cooler than a lot of stuff that sold for the same bucks though.

28. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Each one of here is "rich" enough to afford this hobby..many in our country could only dream to have what we have to work on..drive..cellebrate..bitch about..
    It's relative..

We drive up prices for those who can't afford any extra $$ for a hot rod project..and I guess that makes us all "gold chainers" to someone..just different levels.

I know folks that would love to look for an old Hemi to rebuild..but couldn't afford even a gasket set. I talk to them a free cruise nights..some times a show.

It's a matter of perspective.

29. Kerry67

Kerry67

Here is something I have to ask. I am on several different car forums and wonder why everyone rips on Barrett. Granted, there are somethings that I have bitched about but one thing I always question is why people say all the cars that go through there are junk. Perfect example.......

I met a guy the other day while I was waiting to meet another guy to get tickets for Satuday and while we were waiting he mentioned that he had just left Barrett and that everything was "a piece of shit" or "junk". What the hell are these people looking at ??? I thought there were some beautiful cars there. I have realized it is not the "chainer" or rich guy there buying the cars, but the car snobs that nothing is ever nice or good enough that bother me. They certainly would never like any of my cars then, that is for sure.....I think that is why I am more attracted to this whole traditional scene than what I used to be into because it seems that people here appreciate old cars in general, no matter the condition, or the fact that is is rough, primered, incorrect, etc.....Who gives a shit if the spare tire decal on the inside of the trunk is tilted 1/8th of an inch in the wrong direction or the fact that a bolt on the underside of the car that you will NEVER even see does not have the correct amount of overspray like it would have from the factory??? Those are the kind of people who I could do without as opposed to someone who buys a car instead of builds it or buys it because they are loaded with cash. The fact that it is a classic or old car should be enough. Someone with a $3000 old car with primer, ripped seats, is enjoying and is as proud of their car as someone with a perfect Hemi-Cuda, that is what it should be about.....Some people are just never going to get it.

So, I am going to go back to my 56 Chevy with rust, primer, incorrect engine, and all of the other things it has wrong with it and just enjoy having it.

Sorry for ranting.....

30. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Reggie Jackson sold a cammer powered 49 Ford coupe (built by Bob Bauder) their 3 years ago for 30 grand. I still can't believe that deal.