Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMBs goin' to Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Car Gurl, Jan 13, 2009.

1. yes! there was a leter form Barris with the car.saw it myself

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking deuce and a quarter. I've had a couple of early 70 models and loved driving them.

As for the "me too stuff on the chopped 40 it would only take a few hours to swap most things out to make the car right by most of our standards and be able to pawn the radars and wide radials off on someone who had a rig they fit on. I'd almost bet that the car shows up at some event in the near future with a different look.

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

All true but man you gotta admit ever since they put that auction on TV, good or even decent deals on anything “old car” are few and far between.

I can tell you all for sure, there’s no fuckin way I could start over with nothing and buy it all back. I feel sorry for the young guys out there that would like to get in and get something halfway decent.
    Its no wonder so many are settling for a rusty pile of shit “RR’s” like its cool.
    Its all kinda feeding off itself at this point. Kinda kills the future of it don’t ya think.

4. noboD

noboD

Did anyone else see our very own Car Gurl on stage? Good to see her hanging with the heavys!

5. jerry dixey

jerry dixey

"Car Gurl" Holly looked great up there and you could tell she was having some fun!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Enjoyed seeing Linda Vaughn a little while ago. Richard Petty and all selling the 70' Plymouth for charity. Ron Pratt bought the very first T bird for 600K. I guess he will never run out of money.

7. DAMN!! I was lookin for her:(

8. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

That's always an interesting show to watch.

9. Glen

Glen

Most importantly the chainers are people with political power....when those new crush/smog bills come up Im glad people with big power are there to call the politicians and say knock it off.

10. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Sorry chainer will not buy my car to pay the rent.I do not sell any car i ever owned.All bj did was to drive the prices up on old cars Its a rich mans party. I did look at the mecum one and saw more sane prices there. You have your veiw and i have mine.Just keep thinking i do not
    contrubite to the sport.I do not have to use your services as i can do it myself and have for a long time as i mmechanic and not a ceo of a company.I would rather build a car than write a check and have to as i never had crazy money.It is just a shame the kids of today will need a million dollars just to buy a old car .

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I’m callin bullshit on that one.
    The fat cats don’t give a damn about crushing and scraping, in fact they probably welcome it. Kills off the competition.

12. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

LOL

Melodramatic much?

After the last two years of B-J auctions all we have learned was that cars aren't worth as much as they once were. Cars that were selling for $500k plus are selling for less than that half now. The cars selling for under $40,000 were quite common. There were cars selling for well under the build costs.

Just listen to Glen Jackson and Steve Davis beg for bidders to push the price up.

13. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

as one of those "kids" i agree with you 100% it majorly sucks that i cant afford a rotted out shell of the car i want because of the prices those rich morons are willing to pay for them at the auction.

14. NEWS FLASH!...I got outa high school and like most guys I didnt buy a 32 coupe when I was 18,it took years,and like most guys I went thru alotta different cars and built my way up,that has'nt changed,I have a kid in my club doing the same thing started witha $500 Valient and is workin his way up to a older cars it hasnt changed except the numbers have changed,I think back then I made about 4 or 5 bucks a hour pumpin gas so pay your dues like most of us did,and I agree with Glenn and El Polacko MOST of the guys you see spendin the big cash are car guys they just were smart enough to make it big at other things besides bustin their knukles,and can afford to have it built or buy it so what........I started with a 14 year old $65 chevy......

Attached Files:

15. jeffrob

jeffrob

I would go to Scottsdale if Amy promised to reach deep into my pockets while I spanked her assiter..............

16. Thumper

Thumper

:eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D

17. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

They can afford whatever they want. Can you? How does that make THEM morons?
    I guarantee they don't spend a moment of their time calling you names, they just take care of business; and they are not buying "rotted out shells" at the auction.

Myself, when I see people who are successful, I am inspired to be more successful myself and one day reach that same level. I don't call them names trying to bring them down to my level.

18. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Sorry, those guys do have the influence to fight that stuff. They don't sit around calling names or spend any time worrying about you being their "competition"They just get stuff done.

Laws about loud exhaust might apply to your kid's ricer but these guys don't want "modified exhaust" tickets on their Hemi 'Cuda or Cobra so they are the ones who contact and influence the legislature, not the pizza delivery kid.

Think about the existance of YOM license plate laws or getting custom vehicles registered at all, that takes influential car guys.

One of the things that makes this hobby work for most of us is the availability of parts.
    The guy at the pizza place does not buy the chassis or engines or parts to keep all the vendors in business, the guys who own the pizza chain or the shopping center where the pizza place is located do. That helps the pizza delivery guy by keeping his parts vendors in business.

19. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I talked to Linda last night and have met her before, she really is cool in person. I heard one of the Hurst guys talking to his wife about her. He works with her and was saying how nice and professional she is and never needs any "babysitting"

I was on the stage standing next to the woman selling the #001 T-bird.
    It had belonged to her father and she inherited it. She looked happy but as soon as the gavel dropped, her phone rang and she only said "A million would have been a lot better" and hung up. She didn't seem too happy.

20. A pox on her. Dumb ass lucked into a neat inheritance, and is pissed that it didn't sell for more.

21. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

My wife and I thought it was a pretty dumb sale as well. Especially as it was lingering under $200,000.

Unless you desperately need the money to feed your kids, pay your medical bills or keep your house... why sell it? Especially in this economy.

22. noboD

noboD

If they were so proud of it and all dressed alike, why didn't they keep it? Greed $$.

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

You totally miss my point
    So its just my imagination that the price of anything “old car” has been going up way faster than everything else? Ever since BJ has been on TV?
    Anybody that thinks they can deny that, totally has there head in the sand of fantasy land or is making a lot of money because of it.
    I don’t give a damn what the big shots do or spend, all im saying is, it’s a shame it was ever put on TV.
    Now everybody with a satellite dish and a old car thinks he’s Richie rich.
    A guy just starting out shouldn’t have to come up with 4k plus for a clapped out model A body that a few short years ago was going for a hell of a lot less, just because every body thought it was interesting or cool to watch a bunch of guys that can afford it have a pissing match in public.

I think it would be great if the power of this place was put behind knocking that show off the air. Not only has it made prices high and is killing the little or new guy it draws to much attention to the car hobby.
    Ya I know, look at the charity thing they did. What was that, One hour of the show?

Try thinking long term

24. Chad s

Chad s

No wonder you come off so jealous and bitter sounding against folks who have "made it"! With English (if you call it that) like yours, you probably have no chance of reaching the success level of those who can afford to bid/buy at the BJ auctions!

There is nothing wrong with wealthy people. I know many, and most of them worked their asses off to get where they are, and now have a lot of money. Good for them. If you had their money, you would probably buy nice toys as well. You can either hate wealthy people, or get to know them, and learn from them, as most are very capable, bright people, and thats why they are where they are today. Hating wont get you anywhere.

25. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I see your point- But,
    Did old cars go up in price because Barrett Jackson is on TV?
    Or;
    Is Barrett Jackson on TV with millions of viewers because there is more interest in old cars?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

One thing is for sure, those rusty model A's are not what's being sold at those auctions

You should show that person selling the rusty shell for $4k some of the perfect $20k ones at barrett jackson. Explain that the person who got $20k for their nice one spent $25k on the restoration so the seller of the $4k rust shell should give you the rusty body for free and also pay you an extra $5k to take it away.

The exact value of any item is what someone else will pay for it. Is a rusty shell worth $4k? It is if someone will pay that for it. And if someone will pay $4k for it, and you won't you either don't want it as badly as they do, or your tastes exceed your budget.

This whole thing remings me of all the bitchy threads about some old man who has a car someone really wants and he won't give it to you even though you are special and deserve it more than the owner does.

Why are the people without money or cool stuff so often experts about what people with cool stuff and money should do?

26. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

When the deceased owner bought it, it was just a used car. Only later, did they look at the serial #. It's actually 0005. They thought it was the 5th one. They later found out the first 4 down the line that day were Fairlanes, so Bird #5 is actually the first one.

The seller said she "Wanted soemone else to have the opportunity to cherish it"

The translation of that, is "we don't care about the car, we just want the money."

There' nothing wrong with that.
    The vibe I got however, was that that money might not stick around too long.

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Ok whatever I give up, but when your grandson is welding Honda decklids together so he can build a half assed RPU on a Toyota pu frame remember what I said.

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, saw her in a yellow t-shirt. She got lots of airtime while they raffled off that car for charity. She looked like she was having a blast.

29. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

By that time, a RPU body would be over 100 years old so he has no right to expect anyone to give him one on a teenager's budget.

But I would say:

"Cool, you learned how to weld and rather than bitching and sitting around feeling sorry for yourself, you are actually doing something. That alone puts you ahead of 80% of the public. That will take you much further in life than jealousy. If you harness that kind of resourcefulness, maybe someday you will have millions of dollars to spend on whatever you want."

30. 38plymouth

38plymouth

I would like to go see it some day. Lots of other priority things first but it would be fun.