Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official Barrett Jackson Thread *Scottsdale 2009*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Jan 13, 2009.

1. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Thats no shit I could find, buy, and build a fleet of cars for what those bastards pay for one. Plus they would all have better personality.

2. Racewriter

Racewriter

I just watched a '55 T-bird sell for $600,000.

Yeah, it was the first production Bird, but still, JFC....

3. How about them saying "half of that price was for the car, the other was for the name BOYD", wow, give me a break.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

why watch if it is so dreadful? Obviously you have cable or sat. TV, so you have many choices. Orrrrr, you could go work in the garage.

One of the best "car shows" I ever went to. And if you watch it religiously on the tube, you can't help but learn something. Unless you already know it all.

Way out of my league and lots of "funny" things go on. At the same time, many of the cars sold are truly collectible and go to museums or exclusive private collections. Also, many highend dealerships buy/sell there.

I for one am jealous and could only dream of owning some of these cars.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

A few of the cars seemed like bargains and sold for probably less than it cost to build/restore them.
    The 49 Olds. Today, I watched a beautifully restored 55 Pontiac conv. go for 32k. I usually don't feel bad for the sellers (watching rich guys overbid to buy their cars in years past) though I felt bad for a couple of the sellers today. In this economy, I guess that's the chance you take.

I like checking out the cars, but FWIW, am getting tired of the entire BJ scene.

Steve Davis acting like a Rock Star-wearing sunglasses indoors/on stage. Today the announcers stated that "Steve wears the sunglasses because of the extreme glare on the stage". Okay, then how come the other 80 people on stage aren't wearing shades?

Steve M. on stage reciting VIN # info,etc. from his notepad.

Tired of seeing Amy's hair extensions too.

6. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

don't see where I said I was watchin'.... spent 6 hours today in the shop sandblastasting wheels on a 27 T.... BTW, it's not a car show, but as you say, "exclusive" and "highend" sale... don't be jealous, head to the shop.

7. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I won the fantasty bid on that 57 still waiting to be contacted about my prize they say you get

Tom

8. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Not really HAMB friendly but the Buick Blackhawk just went for $475K

not bad for a late model dream car.

9. felt like some of you UNTIL I spent the day there.it is a car show and I had a great time lookin and talkin with owners and even some high end buyers,and yes they were car guys just HIGHDOLLAR car guys......cant fault them for havein bank to play with one guy was a heart surgeon,personally I'd rather see him buyin his toys instead of cuttin his hands and not be able to fix someones heart failure.....your only seein about 30% of what really is going on............

10. Just caught the tail end of this on the block and had almost forgotten all about it. IMHO...As far as Kustoms go, this has all the bells and whistles of any Kustom of it's kind, from back in the day. Rikster, your 2 cents??
    Guess GM has a little pocket change now to help pay back the Government loans.:eek::D
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/10520,3040,0,0/2003-Buick-Blackhawk_Photo.aspx
    [​IMG]

11. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

Ron Pratte is definately buying low this year.

I heard he sold his company before the housing bust and is now buying cars for much lower than he would have paid in previous years.

Just bought the tri-motor plane for $1.1 million.

12. Racewriter

Racewriter

60g's for Evel Knievel's '99 Featherlite/Vogue motorcoach. CHEAP. Probably half price even without Evel's former ownership.

13. OneBad56

OneBad56

Yup, a dream car it is,otherwise totally useless as it can't even be titled/licensed/registered for the road.

14. NO thats about where the market is on a ten year old bus

15. James427

James427
    BANNED

Yeah, I noticed he "donated towards" the charity cars this year instead of being the guy that over bids and buys them all.

16. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

geez this guy was on the speed channel all day

17. I dont watch. Its just my opinion, but I feel like these auctions really killed the chances for a lot of us to relive our youth and buy a car like we had when we were younger or maybe as an adult finally afford one we couldnt as a kid. The wealthy stole some of our car hobby.

How many threads have you read here on the HAMB where someone went to look at what turned out to be a total POS, but the seller saw "one just like it" on that auction show that went for stupid money...now with "just a little fixin" this one would be worth that too.

I find it amusing so many people know all the players and even the worker bees on this show. I've never heard of this Pratt fella before I read about him on this thread. Seems like I read an article on how things work at this auction and its not always on the up and up behind the scenes.

In the end there isnt anything I can do about it. Ill just keep my eyes open for the occasional deal that crosses my path. You guys keep enjoying the car guys version of a soap opera. And if you have a car there I hope you get stupid money for it.

18. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

so did they pay Ron to sit there to keep people watching just to see what he was gonna buy?
    i think there is gonna be alot of reserves next year cause some sellers got raped buy B-J that 58 impala vert for 50 G'S or the red hardtop that sold for like 38 G'S on tues or wed man that sucks all that work for nothing cause after you pay that drunk looking fool his cut and the taxes :eek: ouch i hope the seller at least got a kiss behind the ear after taking it in the ass on that deal. i like how they come on the microphone all mad telling people there getting the car for half it's cost. i wish some one would of stood up and told them "WHY DON'T YOU BUY THEN"

19. No, next year will still be a 100% No RESERVE auction. B-J gets 5-6 thousand requests to fill the 1200 spots. There will still be plenty of consignors in 2010.

How about how the place cleared out after all the high profile lots were hammered down. Damn near empty back in the peanut gallery.

20. Wow! i have just the opposite opposite opinion. They have absolutely glorified "collector" cars to the lay public. Who knows- your neighbors may think that you're driving a $100,000 car.

I would look at Barret-Jackson as an general indicator of what the future will hold. The type of cars that we're saving/restoring/babying will all too soon be gone and obsolete- there's no preventing it. Automobiles will change drastically in the next 20 years, and continue to change.

21. bcfordman

bcfordman
    from cortez co

does this thread have the "OK" from them ??? just wondering what makes it the "OFFICIAL" barrett jackson thread , I actualy enjoyed the barrett jackson drinking game thread more , !

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[/quote]

I'm playing too but ya haven't seen my screen name come up as a winner have ya?:D With prices all over the place this year i'ts just a lucky guess when a fantasy bidder comes close. Oh well, still haivng fun guessing with my pals as we watch.

23. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

They both looked a little concerned that the prices weren't where they thought they should be. Maybe they B.S.ed the sellers. With the economy the way it is, a lot of those cars should have stayed home in the garage. Lotsa losses for sure.

24. That was the slimiest deal I've ever seen. Makes me wonder how many of the really low odometer readings are legit. When a restorer spends $50 to $100 grand to do up one of the special "rare" cars, how difficult is it to change or backup the mileage? As the guys on the floor said a couple times, "If I had a car like this I'd have put those miles on it in a year or two". Someone even said "Where do they find all these low mileage cars?" I'll guarantee B-J doesn't require the selle to prove mileage.

25. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Im going to take a big shit and put billet wheels on it and I bet it will pull $100k, seems like quite a few other turds got that high.... wtf?

26. Chad s

Chad s

Different people have different tastes. We are here because (most) of us all share a common likeness, but that doesn't mean other cant like something thats different!

27. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

I think a lot of those cars were ok, but it's that extra 10% that makes a car what its worth and a lot of those cars were missing that 10%. Being one that builds one of those high dollar corvettes and how much goes into it (i.e. NCRS rebuilds etc. and making sure every nut and bolt is correct finish and marking etc..) it sucks to see the market all over the place like it is where polished turds are going for top dollar and real restores and true hot rods are going for dick. Maybe I should have said that in the first place :eek:

28. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

I enjoy watching the auction, and take it for what it is..TV entertainment. I do have to wonder if some of the so called experts like the Marti Report or Galen Govier would take a larger amount of money to make a fake car suddenly real.

As far as alot of the cars selling for less than they did last year and people thinking the sellers were ripped off...remember this: Greed brings alot of these cars to the auction. Everyone knows the cars sell at no reserve.

Since I like all sorts of cars and trucks, it is educational to learn about oddball makes and options.

29. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

GREED .. ( Noun ) An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth

"The point is that you can't be too greedy." - Donald Trump

30. Kudos! that was hilarious!