Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson named Night train

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baggedmitsu, Jan 8, 2009.

1. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

Has anybody ever heard of a car that was feature way back in the day named "Night Train" it was a Hudson as far as i can tell. I saw that car at an old timers shop this morning, I dont know anything about hudsons, but it looked like a pretty cool old custom.

Ernie

2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I know all about that car. The current owner Ed Mueller and i found and bought it in Sacramento back in 1991. It made Hot Rod magazine in the mid 50's and was owned by a guy named Duane Aspengren out of San Diego. When we bought it the Hudson was pretty much the same as it was back in the old days and was powered by an 324 Olds and Hydro trans. The car is sectioned but not chopped. We have spent years trying to find Duane Aspengren but have had no luck. Axle

3. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

thanks for the 411, Ed is a nice guy, but i didnt want to poke too much through his stuff and be nosey, but when i got home i wanted to read more on this car and couldnt find anything. Definately a neat looking car.

I bought a 235 for my 50 chevy off him today. nice guy.

4. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I think it was a 1957 Hot Rod magazine issue

5. OLLIN

OLLIN

is that the one at marky's work? If so, badass!

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yeah, I have a picture of it in a HOT ROD SWAP BOOK from 68 or so. I'll scan and post it.

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

"NIGHT TRAIN" was a twin front motor dragster ............ steve

8. Wasn´t that "Freight Train"?

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a James Brown song to......
    Long live the king of funk!

10. repoguy

repoguy

Somehow this fits into the equation.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Back to the topic folks. Yes Ollin, its is that car.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Back on topic? Damn I was just going to reference "Chauncey "Nighttrain" Jackson" as played by Ice T.

[​IMG]

Anyone have an image of this car they can post?

13. OLLIN

OLLIN

Holy shit. I just saw this the other day..
    its amazing. hopefully he brings it back to its former glory.

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I am trying to find a picture of it.

15. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Bad memories for me I wanted my dad to buy that car for me soooo bad, I have pics somewhere of me when I was just a snot nosed little kid but I wanted it in the worst way. Get rid of the Packard bumper and it was perfect in my eyes.

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Here are the pictures of the NIGHT TRAIN:

nighttrain2.JPG [/ATTACH]

:cool:

17. Hugh's_Hornet

Hugh's_Hornet

Rocket 88 engine in a Hudson....blasphemy! ;-)

BTW, I have that book somewhere too, "The Complete Book of Engine Swapping".

18. WQ59B

WQ59B

>>"We have spent years trying to find Duane Aspengren but have had no luck."<<

This him ?

<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>DAUNE ASPENGREN </TD><TD>07 Apr 1932</TD><TD>May 1981</TD><TD>(not specified)</TD><TD>92010</TD><TD>494-30-4365</TD><TD>Missouri</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Looks like a typo on the first name. Woulda been 25 in '57,
    and his last residence zip (92010) was Carlsbad CA- just north of SD.

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Good book, was looking through it last night, cover is falling off, need to tape it back together, got it when I was 16, long time ago.

Like your hornet! 308 and hydro? I have a 53 Hudson Superjet with 202 and hydro. Runs great, just needs brake work, and of course body and interior. Probably start on it soon.

20. Hugh's_Hornet

Hugh's_Hornet

That was the first serious piece of automotive literature I got; bought mine when I was 13 or 14 years old. I was inspired helping my cousin install a 392 Hemi in a 58 Ford sedan one summer. My book is in similar condition to yours. I also have books 2 and 3 stashed somewhere. One of the books mentions dropping a Ford 300 6 in a Datsun pickup; that got my Dad really interested as he had a 69 Datsun truck. He looked pretty hard at dropping a Buick V-6 in it but we never got that far.

Yep, the Hornet's got a 308 and hydro. Used to run great; been sitting up neglected and now needs serious work. Hope to get it going this year.

Hugh

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

May i ask where you found this? And what is May 1981? Thanks, Axle

22. studhud

studhud

That car has a Kool look! Not the first sectioned Hudson I have seen but it looks real nice. Where is it now
    Thanks Dave

23. WQ59B

WQ59B

24. Interesting. I've not seen this car before.

The section job looks a bit like the red and white 51 up here in WA with the continental kit. It was also done around the same time, but still has the Hudson 6 in it.

25. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

Ed Meuller bought the car from Wayne Ballerstein in Concord, CA. Wayne got the car in 1981, I believe, from a Wayne Graefon in SoCal. I think Wayne B. drove the car back to Concord from the HUDSON National Meet that was held in Buena Park.
    Wayne B. has copies of HOT ROD with car featured. I think it was in a number of other publications also.
    At one time the car had a 1954 Pontiac grille, then a Corvette set of teeth. (another story!) Last time I saw the car it was on a trailer behind our pickup(another story!) being towed to the Western Region HUDSON meet @ Buellton, CA in '92 (?) Ed was in the process of restoring it @ that time.
    Let's all hope the Ed can get the car restored---

26. studhud

studhud

Hudson custom is that the one with lightning bolt on the side? If so it came from sonoma down here in cali.???/

27. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

The last time I saw the car all it needed was the interior to be done. It was dark blue with fake Hemi valve covers on a SBC. When you think about a sectioned Hudson it seems funny in your head until you see this car. I like the red and white one with the lightning bolt cause it still ran the 6. The hood was modified to clear the carbs. Either way the guys who built both of these cars get my respect, section a unibodied car that has ALOT of compound curves.

28. Yep, that's the one.

29. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

I saw this car today and he still has it Ed that is..real nice guy!

30. Did you get any pictures? I'd love to see some more of this car!