Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hanging Your Arm Out The Car Window. Do You?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuickBorracho, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichG

RichG

yep, it's the only way to style after wiggling out of the straitjacket, jacking some keys off a guard, and making my escape...

2. Kustomz

Kustomz

Gotta keep your signal arm ready to work. Don't need no stinkin turn signals!

3. Alpha Male behavior is instinctive.

4. brewsir

brewsir

I don't know...my dad told me the "rules" from back in the day...as long as your elbow isn't higher than your shoulder it was cool....I used to do it to make my arms look huge (girls were impressed anyway)

5. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Willie did it to keep from being thrown around before he drove the altered. Then it became a habit.The funny car had a fake arm hanging out as he had to use both hands to drive the funny.I do not hang my arm out as i never did when i raced.

6. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

only when im "signaling" to an idiot driver.

7. Weasel

Weasel

It's a Milner thing....

[​IMG]

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Because it gets girls, used to anyhow. Now I do it for old times sake.:cool:

It was the (before flat-black):D

9. my hand warmers are the pipes on the side, so of course I do it

when I drove truck I used to grab onto the mirror arm, it would let fresh cool air travel inside the sleeve and act like a.c. on your body...lol

10. That's why I'm building an open car- to get rid of my left-armed farmer tan!

11. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

When I was young as a kid in the back seat it was fun to stick your hand out the window to feel the air. When I got old enough to drive ALL the windows had to be down because it looked cool in summer. Air conditioning was only an installed option on expensive cars. It also served as a way to deflect air into the car plus the cooling effect it had on the rest of the body.

12. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

13. uc4me

uc4me

depends on the seat to window height

14. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

I do it to keep the door shut.:D

HellRaiser

15. rusty48

rusty48

I was driving an old beater one time with no signals so I had my arm out signaling a left turn,I heard tires squaling,when I looked in the mirrow all I could see was a bowtie,then a chevy dually truck went down the left side,outside mirrow came flying in the window,I don't remmber pulling my arm in but I guess I did because it's still there.

16. gas pumper

gas pumper

Left arm on the window sill, steer with the finger tips, right hand on the shifter. Is there any other way?

17. It gives you more elbow room and it's comfortable.

A bonus is you get your left armpit air conditioned.

My left arm is my turn signal.

18. Fontucky Slim

Fontucky Slim

Yup, need to be able to reach the outside door handle. Its how I exit the vehicle!:D

19. Not today since it was -35 degrees celcius but in the summer its hell ya!

20. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I did it in high school because I thought I was cool. I do it now because I know I'm cool!

21. oldguy829

oldguy829

It's a habit from the 50's, before AC (and yeah it's cool) but not on new cars. They suck. All kinds of turbulence comes in the window on new cars. Old ones were built to drive with the window down.
    So if it feels right, let it hang out.

22. scarylarry

scarylarry

Thanks for asking the hard hitting, truly useful questions.

23. I read some where in a magazine the driver actually said when he was asked why he holds the door he saidwhat are you talking about !!

24. I do it (comfort). In the 60's, my Dad went cross country like that. One BLACK arm and one bright white was really weird looking to a 10-11 year old kid (me):eek:

25. skunx1964

skunx1964

agreed

yup, my way of cruisin:D

26. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Not today it was -10 degrees when I left for work.

27. VonDust

VonDust

When I was a kid, I would always envy my dad hanging his arm out because he was bigger than I was and he could actually do it. I do it all the time now no matter what vehicle I am driving, its compfortable, cool, and it seems like there aren't many others doing it.
    And when hanging your arm out the window isn't enough to grab someone's attention... the Indy guys resort to this... :eek::D
    [​IMG]

28. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

My arms are two different colors from doing it.
    I'm glad I wasn't doing it when I rolled my car on the driver's side with the window down.
    I installed my seats in my Merc so they'd be the right height to do it.
    I don't do it on narrow two lane roads.

29. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

Ya! :cool: I like to let my arm dangle out side so my hand can rub against the rear wheel! :confused::confused: Dam that hurts!! :eek::eek::eek:

30. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

sometimes when I am on a long road trip i will actually hang my foot out and rest it on the base of my mirror. Hurts like crazy when you catch a rock though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.