Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official Barrett Jackson Thread *Scottsdale 2009*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Jan 13, 2009.

1. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

I think it would piss me off if I sold a car there because some sell really low but on others craig jackson and that other little guy, I dont like, jump in talk up the car and extend the bidding if they dont like the money the car is getting. those two need to shut the hell up and let the car get what it gets.

2. YOU DO UNDERSTAND IT IS A BIZ???? They get a % of the sale so they are helping their and the sellers paycheck.........each cars has a alotted time depending on the speed of the bidding........deal is you sign your ass away when you consign the car

3. That's why you'll not see too many truly "serious" collector cars at B-Js - they all go to RM, Russo & Steele, etc. where you can consign with a "reserve" (minimum bid price).

4. Weasel

Weasel

I wish that poseur narcissist Davis and his fuckin' Steve Wonder shades would get the fuck outta there - man does he ever love himself. And can't he shut the fuck up with his butting in to overhype whatever is on the platform.

B-J spin doctor speak

"Well sold" - the buyer is a dick with more money than brains who got royally screwed.

"Well bought" - we misled the seller and he lost his ass - pity - less $$$ for the Greedmeister.

Reality TV for wannabe car guys.:rolleyes:

5. Im not defending any of those guys.but I gotta tell ya from the people I talked to that had sold in the past and bought in the past they mostly seemed ok,yeah some had more money than god and some "gold chainers",bottom line they all know what they are walkin into........I did have a different slant on this before I went up this year..........

6. James427

James427
    BANNED

Here is an example of strong pricing. The red 63 Falcon convertible with the matching Falcon trailer for $32,000. This car would never bring HALF that on Craigslist or in the autotrader. It had so-so paint that you could see even on TV, really crappy job on the wrinkled up seat covers, mediocre engine bay and basically a $12,000 Falcon. Another example: a 1974 Corvette in candy red with stupid billet engine bling for $34,000? Ever try and sell a 74 vette? You can't give them away. Yeah, it was a low HP big block, but still, nowhere near a $34,000 car. Again, to me I see prices are strong.

7. 33mopower

33mopower

I was blown away by the mopar rods today. Way over priced a lot more than ebay would have brought. Granted there nice cars but SBC, billet wheels, and this one is a 4 door. Not to mention they made almost as many plymouth's as they did ford's. 63k WTF???

[​IMG]

This one seemed to have a lot of work in it with a more understandable price 46k.

[​IMG]

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I enjoyed listening to John Moss talk about all the work and developement that went into building the Hi Po concepts. It must have been a blast to work in that department.

9. Kerry67

Kerry67

I know a guy who is running a 70 Hemi Cuda at Russo-Steele for the 3rd or 4th time this year. It NEVER meets the reserve. He wants in the low 300K for it. Why keep running it through if it never meets the reserve. I think it may at BJ concidering how hot the Cuda's usually are there but he won't roll the dice. Seems like a waste to me to keep running it at Russo.

10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Actually, if you're a seller that's what you want those guys to do! In fact B-J got into several lawsuits for NOT doing that on some cars over the last few years.

I wish that I had some extra $$$, because $33k for the GTO Judge out of GM's collection, was a steal!

11. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

The word on the street is he never took possession of the bus ....:confused:

12. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Im hoping that things WONT be down too much this year- for some odd reason ,people actually pay attention to see what things go for and it trickles down to us builders.

13. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

I agree that prices have come down a bit, actually more practical as a whole for what I see for sale at shows, car trader's, etc. but whatever a guy wants to pay is his business...

I was happy to see Steve M. there again. I enjoy hearing his knowledge about specifics of options of the cars. I think more real car guys would prefer to just hear him discuss the history/options of everything across the block.

Who really cares about a bidding war?

14. twochops

twochops

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  15. 39 sledge

39 sledge
    from p.a.

i could not agree more with chopshop i,m working on a 59 impala and the owners are watching it closely come on big money

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it's that time of year again. Time to disrespect successful collectors, the auction houses, and the announcers. Some of you would be better off jerkin yourselves with sandpaper.

The serious collector market is fine. Better than the fuckin crooks who drained all of your 401Ks and got away with it. I took in over 400k in work last month and we should be fine for a another year or so. I'm glad the $$$ I put into my Packard isn't in a fund. I don't think some wannabe investment broker can take that away.

I may have an advantage over some being that I kinda know several of the "who's" doing "what", but nobody knows everything. Enjoy the show. That's why it's there.

17. I'm always a day behind because I record it and watch it the follwing day. I watched 5 hours live in a tick over two hours. To meet it's just a car show with some drama thrown in. There must be a lot of viewers based on the # of commercials.

18. yeah he did however the "word" I got was after they drove it to his hangar in Chandler he sent it out and had it repainted.........

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hahahahaha...agreed. But I didn't have a 401K. The best place to stash your money these days, is in the backyard, in a plastic box, about 4 feet down...that way metal detectors cannot find it.

But, I'd bet a few of those "serious collectors" got nicked by the crooks...and I'd suspect they're smart enuff to not put all their money in one spot (think B. Madoff)...!!!

R-

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Actually, as long as a person is not old :eek: and does not plan on retiring within the next 5 years, a 401K is a GREAT investment at this point. Investing now, or continuing to invest, at the reduced prices, and sitting on the stocks/mutal funds till retirment is the way to go. ;)

I do agree with having some (about 8 months of living expenses with easy access) available in case of emergency. Burying in plastic is a novel idea just please let Dan know where it is in case you kick the bucket unexpectedly.:p

It's hard to pay your mortgage with a project car or the heat bill with a SBC.:D

21. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

i dunno Kevin i was to busy wiping the slober off my chin, but i think they did mention the name.

22. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

What about that Beautiful Silver '48 Bentley that someone stole for 22k??? WELL BOUGHT I THOUGHT. :eek:

23. Plowboy

Plowboy

I was surprised last night to see how well the hot rods were selling for for a change, especially those older 70's builds. Most of the time they go for just pennies on the dollar at BJ.

24. damn hope your not gettin any ideas....still got to admit it was alotta fun being there yessterday

25. fuzzface

fuzzface

He just brought the Nascar charity bike for $60,000.

26. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

I looked up the weeks line up .it looks like a salvation army sale to me .that makes it real hard to gauge values on an over kill number of 90s and up junk .other than a hemi cuda nothing stands out . the up side is the good stuffs not being dumped.c

27. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

The Club De Mer is the one I'm watching on Saturday, built by Marty Martino. Sure hope it gets what it deserves. I'd be a basket case if I were a seller .... lol

28. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

I cried watching that 49 Olds sell for $34,000

29. Docs_Rubb

Docs_Rubb

Yeah, I have to agree, I think the prices up to now have been a tad on the lower side of what we have seen in the past, but then again as my brother has said, it ain't Friday or Saturday yet. From what I saw on Tuesday, and Wednesday night there were some nice within reach cars going across the stage, as well as some slugs, that if you looked close enough, looked like crap (just think what they looked like in person).

30. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Yes I understand it's a biz!!!!!! But what I'm saying is if This guy gets his car all talked by the B.J. big shots to get more money out of it but then my car comes up and it's selling low and they don't say shit. They should keep their mouths shut and let the cars sell for what they sell for.