Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official Barrett Jackson Thread *Scottsdale 2009*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Jan 13, 2009.

1. James427

James427
    BANNED

It looks like prices are still fairly strong so far for such a supposedly weak economy.

2. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

you think so? i thought the bigblock 4speed impala was cheap at 24k..thats less the they usually go for

3. It's early but prices seem a little soft to me too

4. jtrammell

jtrammell

The few I seen seemed low. you couldnt build the impala or the 54 gmc for that price

5. 41k for a Isettia??? but that 71mustang was cheap.......This should be fun to watch..........

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Can you believe the high seller so far is a 59 BMW Iseta!

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

did not realize it was starting so early in the week. that 25 chevy house car is bringing some money

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I believe that belonged to the GM Collection and was just donated last year to the collection by a HAMB guy. I remember the post about him delivering it.

9. James427

James427
    BANNED

The 66 Impala was a non-original engine car that would not have sold for that $24,000 if advertised on your local Craigslist. The yellow 71 Mustang was a fake Mach1 clone with a 302 2bbl for $12,000. It would not have sold for that in my area.

10. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i just got a call from a guy thats at BJ right now.
    he said he was trying to find out where the good stuff was - he was asking around there if & when more were coming!?
    he said it looked like a bunch of amature restos & wavy, rippled lookin body worked vehicles that people were just trying to 'off' hahaha!

a few nice ones he said otherwise what he looked at was 'swap meet' type vehicles.:eek:

11. Wait until Friday and Saturday, the best cars are auctioned to the guys with more money and ego than brains for rediculously high prices. That won't indicate the market, but the Barret-Jackson seldom does.

12. If I were there I would have run the bid up on that 356 Porsche coupe. $13,000 was a steal for an original car. Having said that, maybe it wasn't that hot up close. It is easy to say all this stuff, but I think most of what we think is cheap, may not be worth more.

13. Brewton

Brewton

I watched it last night and I thought the prices were lower than last year. You can't judge a car from the TV, but I thought there were some deals that went across the block last night. They (the commentators) said BJ was up from last year, but it's only because on one vehicle (the chevy housecar). Anyway, it will be interesting how it ends up.

14. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I think it was a 49 black Ford pick-up with the flatty, HAMB all the way!! Too bad it was sold on BJ for the posh collectors to get...Oh well, at least if I need cash to pay off my mortgage, I can allways auction the '34..hahaha

15. jdubbya

jdubbya

I wanted the Pope Mobile, I would look good sitting in the big chair, being driven around town. Looked like there were some descent buys last night. -Joe

16. Being up on the first day is just another B-J marketing ploy. They have never had 3 $100,000+ cars run through on day one. They are the best at creating the illusion, blowing smoke, massaging their customers and positioning the vehicles to maximize their take.
    There were many "well bought" cars there that sold for under $20,000.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Gonna have a big bowl of popcorn ready for tonights circus. I can't imagine there being any more reality to this one than the rest..................we'll see:rolleyes::)
    Maybe the economy will impact it to some degree.

Frank

18. Love it or hate it, it beats watching Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman reruns.

I miss my garage.... :(

JH

19. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yea, I thought there was some good buys last night from this side of the tv screen but overall I thought the prices were up from last year's first day. Last year day # 1 top price was $62,000 or $64,000 but we had quite a few at or above that figure including 3 over $100,000.

20. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

I watched tues night and saw Mr. Bob Johnson from Georgia buy the two high sellers. He spent over 250,000. the first night, makes you wonder how much he will spend in all this week.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  21. I wonder what Ron Pratt has his eyes on this year? In past years he's bought the GM Concept bus and the Howard Hughes' 52 Buick.

22. metalman

metalman

I thought the cars as a whole were bringing decent money, but not stupid money as 2 years ago. 50gs for a pretty simple 41 Ford PU street rod seemed good, I'd be happy if it were mine and brought that much. I was really surrprised that the 49 and 54 Oldsmobile moredoors brought the money they did, I thought even a nice restored 4 door would top at 20 max. The BMW Issetta really shocked me!

23. metalman

metalman

I bet he buys the Shelby GT500 #1 they're Auctioning for charity Sat.

24. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I watched a bit of it and not as much as i usually do but prices seemed down and i kinda wish i was there.. Id bet the shit you dont see on tv could be some really good deals.. I think the big money bull shit was just that TV and Craig Jackson bull shit.. just cause they sold on tv doesnt mean they really sold :)
    Dave

25. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

59 Nash Metro $30,000 :rolleyes:

My buddy Larry was bidding on the 55 Pontiac Safari last night, it was a sharpe car

he went 41, it sold for $42,000 - he thinks the seller bought it back

8% + 10% to buy it back

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  26. Chad s

Chad s

So someone donates a car to the GM collection, and then they go sell it a year later? Thats pretty shitty.

27. I just got home to tucson from BJ.and I gotta say what happens before tv is kinda funny.there are alotta good deals that roll across the block for a decent price,I think they stack the deck for the nite show so it looks more inpressive than it isand yeah some went a little high but some went damn cheap.....as far as the gm cars brought in alot of them were beat POS mules and displsy cars that were on the rough side and a couple I saw running smoled like a pig....then there were some reall kool ones like the proto type 48? chevy truck they used as a concept for another project and even some hi tech stuff, the green touring OLDs sounded mean but it was BUTT UGlY in person........over all it was great except I never met car gurl!! if ya get the chance GO!!!!

28. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Well keep your fingers crossed that the McPherson College T-Bird will bring decent money on friday nite! I worked my ass off on it and I'd love to see the program get some of the attention it deserves.

29. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

That big money Gold LS6 Chevelle. Whats the color code on that paint?

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

30. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I thought there were some decent deals on some fairly cherry cars... none that I would buy.