Register now to get rid of these ads!

First small block Ford aluminum intakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Geofordman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Geofordman

Geofordman

Does anybody out there know what the first aftermarket intakes available for the small block Ford were? Holley, Offy? I want to put an aluminum intake on my early sixties nostalgia T and wondered what was available back in 64, 65. See my ride here as Showin off new ride.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. HotRod33

HotRod33

The old Torker manifold was popular and looked cool it was by edelbrock....check the parts listing here on the hamb ..I think there are some old sbf manifolds there........

Flathead Dave likes this.
  3. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Probably the Edelbrock F4B.

ottoman and 48fordnut like this.
  4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Seems like my bro had a Shelby on his

Deuces likes this.

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I would say Cobra , did you check Blue Thunder?

http://www.bluethunderauto.com/id22.html

Please note for the Cobra or Shelby it's a few bucks more.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  6. Shelby original intakes were made by Offenhauser and carried the Cobra name >>>>.

48fordnut likes this.
  7. mow too much

mow too much

And the Ford verson that is also a dual plane and looks like the Edelbrock F4B but in block letters on the right hand forward side it has FORD,COBRA or SHELBY in raised letters.

Deuces likes this.
  8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I think that the first alum intakes were ford, shelby, and cobra, edel then cloned them and the first F4B was born. Weiand has a early one similiar to the F4B. The first 351 w intake was a ford, shelby plain,or cobra.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Deuces likes this.
  9. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Torker was later. F4B is a good bet, but it seems like anything high performance back then meant multiple carbs. 2x4 or 3x2 would set it off perfectly.

Deuces likes this.
  10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My 1964 Honest Charlie is the first catalog that I have that shows anything for the SBF. It lists an Offy dual quad and a 4 bbl. Edelbrock listed only a dual quad. Weiand listed nothing.

It looks like the Offy was the first 4 bbl aftermarket intake.

11. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

My 1965 Moon catalog shows the Edelbrock dual quad F-28 and the dual quad ram log X-F28, MacKay Weber manifold MWM -101 and Hilborn injection 260-F-8. My 1965 Ford High Performance catalog shows the 2 4-V Induction kit (Carter carb spcing) C4OZ-6B068-E, the 3-2v kit C4OZ-6B068-A (Falcon Fairlane 260) C4DZ-6B068-A (Mustang 260) C4OZ-6B068-B (Falcon Fairlane 289) C4DZ-6B068-B (Mustang 289) and the 4 Weber kit C5OZ-6B068-A. The Shelby single 4V intake was out at least by 1965 as it was on the Shelby Mustangs. Weiand had a "Colt 500" intake but I don't know what year it came out in. Edelbrock still has the F-28 and Blue Thunder makes the 2-4v (Holley carb spacing), 3-2V and Weber intakes. My vote is for the Edelbrock F-28 with a couple of small carbs and dual air cleaners.

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  12. Sold this one on E-Bay for $2300.00 and change does it make me a RETARD or a CROOK ?? Check the what's a hemi worth thread >>>>.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, egads and Deuces like this.
  13. I've got an Offy dual quad that I'll sell ya for a lot less than that Cobra intake. PM me if you're interested.

14. You just would have to know what THAT COBRA intake fit !! >>>>.

egads likes this.
  15. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Early Cobra? I see it has the small hole for the water sending unit.

16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have the 1/2 inch letter intake and the pan it came with. didn't know they were that pricy.

17. That particular intake was the small,closed letter Cobra intake. You are correct in the small heat sending unit threads. But what made this one rare was the first few intakes that Offenhauser made for Shelby carried no part #s. The next batch looked the same but carried a S1MS part # on the rear runners. So in turn the intake could have only fit a small producion # of cars. Like a CSX 2000 series Cobra or A 1965 GT-350 with a very low serial #. Like one of the first 60 cars built >>>>.

18. havi

havi

I'm kinda looking for one of these early dual quads myself. Interesting thread here, thanks. BTW, a coworker has 2 tripower mid-60's Pontiac intakes, and they were about $2100, IIRC.

19. Geofordman

Geofordman

Thanks Guys I am drooling over the 3x2 stuff and I have found an intake for $495.00 at carlsfordparts.com. i knew about the early Cobra stuff but am afraid of the cost, but if you want old and cool.....

20. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Jegs has the Edelbrock 2x4 brand new for a lot less than $495. I don't think they've changed that intake a bit since it came out. Pair it with a couple 390 cfm Holleys and you'll be set to go. To keep it cheap, never buy new!

21. MERC 55

MERC 55

I don't remember the year, but blue thunder came out with trip duce for 289, I am using that manifold on my 302. FUNFEST 003.jpg

22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

My '65 Weiand catalog shows 2 small block intakes. The "Pegasus"- dual quad, and "Colt 65"- single 4 barrel.

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I would say that the Weiand intake debuted in 1965, since I used to have one that was identical to the later "Colt 500" intakes, except it read "Colt 65" instead.

24. Tha one that I pictured was late 64 production and very early 65 delivery >>>>.

25. BigChief

BigChief

I'll have to go pull some off the shelves for a look-see but I'm pretty sure (and Ford-lore seems to back this) that the 289 Shelby/Cobra intakes (varied somewhat with large, small, open and solid letter over the years) were basically copies of the F4B (with heatshields installed, of course) and were cast by the Buddy-Barr company. Many (most, actually) of the aluminum intakes and valve covers on the HP Fords in the 1960's came out of the Buddy-Bar foundry.

-Bigchief.

Deuces likes this.
  26. I figured the F4B was a mid 64 or early 65 offering. I have one of those now, had an Offy 2X4 intake a while back that was an early casting. Sold it because you could only run AFBs, and I am not a fan of them. Probably nothing wrong with them, just dont like `em. I have a 64 Rod and Custom book with an old Weiand intake ad in it, shows a new Mustang 289 with their intake on it...looks a lot like a stock intake remade in aluminum. Probably only good for a weight savings.

27. BigChief

BigChief

OK....I stand corrected. Alot of the intakes and valve covers Ford used on the 60's cars came out of Buddy-Bar......however, the OEM early 289 Shelby/Cobra were cast by Offenhauser and machined at Dearborn Steel tubing. (http://www.1965gt350mustang.com/numbers.html)

-Bigchief.

28. 289's were never cast by buddy-bar. The first valve covers were cast by buddy bar with the open letters and in raw aluminum finish. As for the intakes nearly all the ones that have crossed my door are cast buy offenhauser. The first ones cast match the one in the pic I posted. Next came the same letter casting which is the small letters with the small water temp sending unit threads and the S1MS part# was cast into the back runner as these were the more common 1965 GT-350 intake. Then came the large letter Cobra casting having the larger water temp sending unit threads with the S2MS part# cast in the back runner and these the common 1966 GT-350 intake. If you have a small letter COBRA intake on your shelf that has no part#and carries the small water temp sending unit threads and it matches the pics of the one I posted earlier CALL ME AT ONCE !! As I have a list of people wating for these intakes. And if you have a S1MS intake that has no hole or provision for the PCV call me even quicker as these are quite special too. Remember that the original equipment intakes all carried the COBRA name and the Shelby intakes were a add on accessory and not near as valuble. And the Buddy bar intakes were Boss 302s >>>>. OH AND LET ME ADD THIS LOL !!! BUDDY BAR CAST THE BOSS 351 INTAKES TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  29. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Buddy Bar cast more than Boss 302 intakes - I used to have a Shelby 351W intake that was cast by Buddy Bar, not Offy - granted, that would be '69 - much later than we're talking about.

Perhaps Buddy Bar became the primary supplier in the later '60s??? I honestly don't know - just know I had a Buddy Bar Shelby intake for a 351W... ;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. mj40's

mj40's

In 1977 I was building up a 289 Ford to the specs of the HP289 Mustang motor. There were no after market aluminum manifolds available from Edelbrock so I went to my local Ford garage. They had a couple old aluminum intakes left over from their muscle car program that was shut down. I bought a high rise intake for $85 that looked like the Cobra unit that was pictured in one of the last responses but mine had Ford in raised letters where the Cobra script was. It was the same plain design as the Cobra but produced for Ford. I sold that motor and C4 a couple years ago for $800 knowing that intake was rare. Dang!