Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. James427

James427
    BANNED

I saw that too, but that was the MAIN reason I liked his chop and the MAIN reason I never liked the Kaiser in stock form. I love the heart shaped glass in the roof too.

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love everything about the car and how you have gone about building it, please keep us updated on the progress!

3. racer756

racer756

This thread never gets old. I dig this car.

4. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Just my $.02, but I would go with a tuck and roll bench seat! What color are you thinking?

5. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Probably all black but that might change depending what I decide for paint. I'm going with four buckets and a full length console to keep a sporty feeling. I'm not trying to build a classic cruiser type of car.

6. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

that is definitely the voltage regulator it goes to all the gauges from the looks of it except for the ammeter. You can hook 12 volts to it and it will drop it down as thats what its supposed to do anyways. The ammeter doesnt care if there is 6 volts, 12 volts or 125v as long as its hooked up correctly (which is not like a voltmeter FYI) from what I can tell the gauges are all electric and they ground through the case. Its a simple matter of daisy chaining the gauge power to the voltage reg that doesnt say IGN and running the sender legs to the other stud and thats it. For good practice I always screw a ground wire to the case on these types of clusters just in case there is paint or rust in the dash where the screws go through its easy and saves a ton of headaches with lights and gauges not working. Hope that help and btw very impressive on the build.

7. If you are still looking for help on your gauges you could try [email protected]

He is an alliance vendor and seems to have done some good work for folks.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

How much of the loburod insulation did it take and did you use that on the roof also? Just a suggestion,my daily driver is a '91 T-Bird these cars have a low roof line and the bucket seats are real comfortable and the console is real long, you pick try the Pic-n Pull on half price day to see if these would work for you 89-93 T-Bird and Cougar are the same.

9. Kieth,

Just got my new Hotrod magazine today and your car is in the 10 best. hotrod's picked by the staff. Your in some good company, your car is bitchin. I see Malcolm started a new thread, I thought I would mention it here and bring your thread back to the top for everyone to see.

Congrats, nice job.

CBB

10. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I had already done the roof using a different type of insulation, but so far I've probably only used about 15 feet of the 50 feet he sent me. It comes on a roll that's 48" long. I also plan to do the door panels, etc once those are in. If I have any left over I'll start doubling it up since I live in AZ.

11. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

love it man, makes for great motivation. look forward to more

12. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

I'm reminded of the Voltage Regulator on the 60's Mopars:

http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/gauge-convert.htm

I did this conversion and the bench test worked wonderfully. Maybe something similar would work for the Kaiser?

13. kdubaz

kdubaz
    from Tempe, AZ

What part of Tempe are you in? I'm at College and Baseline

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Another congrats on the hot rod top 10 pick. You're really onto something special with this car.

15. jw_deuce

jw_deuce
    from Central OH

I like the seats you have picked out, with a full length console those would look sweet! something a little different also, the would look sweet with tuck and roll inserts, kinda mixing up old with new in the style department.

16. jj mack

jj mack

I dig the seats!!!

But I could not find them on the Mastercraft site????
    Gotta link?

17. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

18. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I'm at Baseline and McClintock, just a mile or two down the road.

19. DRD57

DRD57

PM Mart. I think he can help you with the gauges.

20. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Hey I haven't been following your build. But your car is amazing. You have a great eye for building a custom. I think the seats would work if you got them upholstered correctly and could find the right guy to do it. Like that though, i dont think they would look good at all. I see alot of perfect customs with goofy looking, modern, interior. It really ruins it for me.

21. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Very nice work!
    I'll +1 for a more traditional interior. Maybe some old thunderbird buckets???
    I dig the concept, but surely there are some classic seats that would give you what your looking for as far as style and comfort...

In the end, it's your car, and my opinion dont mean squat. It will be beautifull once it's finised, and one hell of a lot better than ANY mini-truck!

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think a bench seat is the best thing for the look, unless you want to go 60s show style, then the T bird seats with a metal console would be good. Id avoid the new seats and put that money into upholstery.
    Doc

23. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Looking for opinions on paint. It looks like Gene Winfield is going to be painting it so I need to pull the motor and trailer the car out to him soon. Here's what I'm hung up on, I wanted the car to be blue from the start, but I've yet to find a blue Winfield job that I like. What I tend to like are the softer blends in lighter colors like yellow, green, and orange. So what do you guy think would look cool?

Cars I like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some that I don't like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes I know that's the Jade Idol, but I just can't get past the striped paint. It's gotta be smoooooth.

24. James427

James427
    BANNED

Have you thought about the kind of blue fade that was on the MaKo Shark prototype Covette?

25. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Some quick photoshops for ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  26. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hey the insulation sounds like the bomb! What kinda adhesive did you use???

27. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

i would find out if he could do a blue fade like the monster garage car. I just love the fade on that one. Or maybe the last "Maybelline" picture with a less pronounced skunk stripe on it.

28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

This might be n disagreement with some earlier posts regarding the item on the back of the inst cluster. Most 6 V cars were very short of fused circuits, as such most were equiped a 30 amp circuit breaker which protected elecrical sustem from fires.

I know on my old mopar that is the case, the only fuse in the car is the one mounted on the headlight switch that protects ALL the lights.

If you are rewiring and using new fuse box protected circuits, you can most likely abandon it in place.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  29. Foppa

Foppa

Your car is Way too cool !!

30. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks for the info. I'm pursuing a sponsorship from AutoMeter so hopefully I will have all new 12v gauges to work with.