Register now to get rid of these ads!

model kits..WHERE ARE THEY NOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

10. missysdad1

missysdad1

My mother, bless her heart, "cleaned" my room while I was away at college - that would have been about 1966 or so - the donated several large boxes of kits to the local Good Will Store. There were maybe 100 or so, some built - I was pretty good at it as a kid, won many trophies at model car shows - but most were new-in-the-box including some very rare 3-in-1 kits.

Some, however, did survive as they were on a high shelf where she couldn't see them. I moved these around for about 30 years, and finally ran into a guy who'd appreciate them even more than me!

He's a good friend, an absolute gem of a guy, a well-known first-quality hot rod upholster who now lives in the Phoenix area, I am told. I won't "out" him...I doubt that many know of his model car passion...except that his first name rhymes with "Vance".

If you should run into him, tell him "little pee pee" said hello!

11. canadianzed

canadianzed

some (many) fond memories of building and trashing those old kits- my mother thought they were just dust collectors - and of course she was right.- wish I had the dusty relics now.

12. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

HA HA!!!! I would stuff 2 kits into one box. buy one get one free!!!! (yeah I was a bad kid too.............)

Just dug out a few today and will attempt to build again..(49 Ford coupe and 65 Mustang)...need these damn glasses now to do details!

See you on Sunday models!

Dave

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gosh, I must have been taught wrong, cause I never did that (stealing models) stuff :(

14. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Another one of lifes lessons, just funny to recall.

15. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Holy crap, Mazooma! That is the best collection I have ever seen!

16. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Heres some of mine....
    [​IMG]

17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

yep #54 orange lola maybe? had a slot car track painted on the body.remember?

18. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

Wow......

19. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didnt save any! Gave away a few to the younger kids. A few years ago a good friend of mine was killed in a car accident, When his daughter was cleaning out his appartment she had thrown all of his models into a garbage bag ,but she at least asked me if I wanted them.She didnt have to ask twice. All of the 32's fords ,36,40 fords mostly 3in1. Alot of hod rods, 55-57 chevys,a few dragsters and spare parts. I spent a couple of months sorting out parts. Wouldnt sell any now.I have bought a few 58-60 Johans (old customs) and a big scale 32 roadster.Still want a visable v8. I build one when I was younger.

20. mikes51

mikes51

That's for sure. Some real oldies.

Those sneaky devils, they don't show the cord on the box art.
    Still very cool though.
    [​IMG]

21. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

Cool! obvious take off on Beach Boys "Lil Deuce Coupe" Album Cover Car. Too bad it wasnt in 1/24th.

22. dodgeboy

dodgeboy

Ive got around 300.Im single and have a 3 bedroom house full of toy cars and models,also tonka/buddyl,ect.As soon as I figure out how to download pictures,maybe I will post some.My newest addition is an old monogram 3 in 1 kit from "62" I just got last weekend.

23. thesupersized

thesupersized

a friend of mine is starting to sell off his collection of rare kits on ebay...if you're interested, his ebay name is fredwheels, check him out, he's got a few kits on there now along with some real nicely already built kits.

24. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

I'll have to snap some pics of my stuff. This post takes me back to the days of buiding kits, going to the 88 cent store, SavOn, Mayfair, Sprouse Reitz etc to see what was new in model kits. Salem or Portland (big towns to us) had the holy grail - Woolworth's, Kresge's, and some big big hobby stores (at least to a little kid). The new models were always a great time for new kits. Most all my newspaper delivery money went to buying and building kits, what didn't went to Cox .049, Testors and Hot Wheels. I still have lots of my old stuff.
    Memories include real coil springs in MPC kits, how complex some of the Revell kits were - such as the '56 Chevrolet kit with opening doors trunk, hood etc, JoHan's Chrysler Turbine car with it's folding seats, IMC's Dodge cabover trucks, a VW Bug, customizing with Testor's budy putty in a tube, Xacto knifes, and how about the smell of a Monogram kit..... Anyone remember that? I wonder if it was planned that way, or just a by product of the molded in color parts, colored windows etc. I swear I could smell those boxes full of parts for days before building the kits. I could go on, but won't. Ahhh memory lane! :)

25. olerascal

olerascal

...over the course of moving as a youth.
    Never destroyed a single one of mine.
    Kept the best, along with tools and model magazines.
    Usually traded finished cars for small parts.
    Never was much for throwing or chasing balls,
    and coin was scarce, so skills were honed by
    dozens of hours spent on a single kit.
    And susequent customizing/changing.

Finally, the big move from SoCal to wilds of PacNW.
    All worldly goods had to fit 5x8 Uhaul trailer.
    Killed me to peddle the last remaining for pennies.

Posted pics are fascinating. Had some pictured.
    Recall looking at most of them in stores...and dreaming of having them.
    To no avail...for many years to come.

Fast forward 10 years.
    Picked up a kit just for old times sake.
    Entered contest with the build.
    And won another kit.
    Kewl. By then, could afford large scale.
    Built a few...a few remain in closet unbuilt.
    Where they've sat for 25 years.

26. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

Here's the pile from the last time i cleaned out the closet in my studio.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. klazurfer

klazurfer

60srailjob : Great Topic !!!!

MAZOOMA1 : Thank you sooo much for sharing !!!!! Could you PLEASE consider sharin` your collection with the rest of us as a "Coffe-table " sized book ? ( Your affection/cover-scans/History ++ )
    AMAZING Collection !!!

I bought my first KIT back in `68 ( I was Eight yrs old ).. It was a Fiat Toppolino ( Gasser style ) .. All parts was Blue! Not sure if it was Lindberg , AMT or Monogram ( Or Other ) but it sure was fun to build ..:)
    Later I had some of the 3-in-1 kits ( green (?)`34 triwinder / `40 Pickup(orange)(?) `36 triwinder/roadster), `32 "Big-Deuce" .. Aso..)
    Also built alot of WWII Airplaines & Tanks ( Sherman / Tiger Aso............ )

Seriously : Mazooma1 : A " Hard Core" Book on this topic will sell BIG-Time !! :):)

Klaz:)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  28. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

Building Model Cars was my escape. Won several contests in Denver,Co still have my Revell Trophy (not the car!)Moved East & gave all my Model Car Science Mags to a used book store (Damn!) Bout 10 yrs ago began buyiing models & have 150+ stored away. Heres some of my fav,s. Great thread & memories of models once had, thx everyone!

Attached Files:

29. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

Youve Got ,EM! Thx for returning me to my model days.

30. Mojo

Mojo

I've always loved the "barn finds". A friend of mine, his brother moved into a place that had a old wood garage behind it. We were in there working on a car, and I'm looking around, and spot a model car box poking out of a big cardboard box in a loft. Long story short, the previous owner of the house left them, and I could have them. It was a great haul, probably about 25-35 late 60's to mid 70's kits. All were built, but well, and there was several annuals. You could see the progression... bad brush paint jobs, leading into well done spray canned and polished paint. I traded most of them for several 1/8th scale cars. Probably got the low end of the deal, but i'm only into 1/8th now.

I have about 300 1/25th scale kits, most are unbuilt but opened stored at my brother's house. Those are all from the 80's and 90's, which in about 30yrs might be worth something.