Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 International Harvester Truck Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerplant, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Well, after mostly positive feedback on my feeler post I am going to post up a build thread of what I have been working on for the last 1.5 years.

I had been calling this "project riff raff" on some of the "other" web boards but I quickly realized there was a drag car with this name so I will cut it out and forget "naming" this thing.

I will start off with what I started with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

If there's any part of that you don't want, I might be interested :)

Keep posting, what have you done so far?

3. I worked on the body for about the first 4-5 months with getting it squared up, rust repair & a roof chop.

Attached Files:

4. More of the chop

Attached Files:

5. More cab

Attached Files:

6. Some parts I started gathering. I nabbed a 1970 Chevy 2wd C20 truck that had a 402 big block backed by a TH400 & Dana 60 rear. I picked up a 37 Ford axle with juice brakes and drilled the axle. I also found a decent grill that came with another body I found. Along with some rough model A box sides.

Attached Files:

7. A couple more gathered parts. I left the chassis.. it was a 2.5 ton semi. The guy almost gave me the body so I let him have the chassis for his scrap business. The pie plate was kind of cool and they guy also gave me a later model grill which I kept the emblem off of. As you can see in my last post I also picked up another body and grill. There is quite a difference between pickup and semi hoods. I have since sold most of this stuff, the hoods, pie plate, fenders and grill. A guy that rebuilds semi's bought all the stuff.

Attached Files:

8. Next I started on the chassis. I found a rack / thing at a local equipment dealer and build a frame table out of it and started in on the frame.

Attached Files:

9. PRoz

PRoz

Looks good. I'm in parts collecting mode myself.

10. More of the chassis and some assembly mock up.

Attached Files:

11. More mock up

Attached Files:

12. Front end progress

Attached Files:

13. Rear suspension. The shocks are from a Mazda Miata. The tabs on the crossover loop and where the loop is mounted to the axle are going to get some reinforcement before it hits the road.

Attached Files:

14. Floor work + I nabbed the shifter on ebay without any mounting brackets for cheap

Attached Files:

15. The sorting out process. It started out way too long but quickly got it where it needed to be. I also went through 2 stages with the headers also. For this being my first build I feel I have a good eye for proportion. This was a little tough though as I had to plan ahead for the suspension settling and the wheel / tire combo that I didn't have yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  16. Steering... It is the original steering box out of the semi chassis. I figure I can mess with the steering ratio by changing the length of the steering arms. I know the mount looks a little sketchy but I believe it is in there fairly well. I also plan on tying it directly to the chassis later on. One pic shows my mock up of the steering rod being bent but I ended up moving the headers up a tad to make it a straight shot (they were also dragging on the threashold of my garage)

Attached Files:

17. The windshield frame was toast so I decided to make one. I have received quite a few questions on this one... I may have to do a tech thread on it later on.

Attached Files:

18. More windshield

Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  19. Terraizer

Terraizer

Cool build how much did you chop it?

20. These are the seats I made for it. I have actually sold these & made a couple sets after that for some other folks. I still need to find the time to make a pair for my ride. I have a slug of aluminum laying here and could make more for anyone interested. I would need about $500 shipped for a pair. Throw a cushion in the bottom and they are supprisingly comfortable. I tried to stay away from all kinds of rolled beads and lightening holes in the main body as I think too much of that stuff makes them look too busy (besides, I don't have a bead roller anyway)

Attached Files:

21. It sees daylight for the first time. I think my boy and the dog approve

Attached Files:

22. This was the last time it was out. By now the radiator is in, the rear wheels are not red anymore and have trim rings to match the front. You will also notice the disc brake kit replacing the drums in front. It also has headlights mounted. I am not to sure of the tailgate... I am looking for a cool bumper I can slide in under it... maybe that will help. I am considering using some old wood for a bed cover & tailgate if I can get my hands on some old barn boards.

This is about where I am at right now. Things have been going slower due to me building seats along with the car being shoved in the corner of the garage for the winter. The next order of business is to run brake lines and mount the master cylinder and pedal.

Oh... I also forgot to mention that the first grille I got my hands on I decided to leave alone when I found a smashed one .... straightened it up and took some off the bottom so it would clear scraping the road. So instead of wrecking a good grille I made out better on this one.

Attached Files:

23. 63chevyll

63chevyll

i realy like this build

24. Cool build. It would have been super cool with the hood and hoodsides though. Really nice work.

25. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Yup, I really like this build as well. Very nice work!

26. Nice truck...love the binders...a buddy of mine out here has a 36 that was built in the 70's and made into a roadster...sports a fully dressed 396 and runs like a scalded cat

27. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I like the build. Especially the seats. Bitchin'

28. Thanks for the compliments.

29. LabRat

LabRat

I dig your truck , a sensible chop , proportions are good and a nice strong drivetrain . I tend to agree with K13 about the hood sides though , I think it makes a rod of this style more finished in appearance .....

Now about Wez in your avatar ...... you do know he is gay .... don't you ? LOL ....

30. Uh... I guess I forgot what was on the other end of the chain he drug around. That guy got his head chopped of though... right? No matter.... Wez is still one bad dude. The wheelie in the beginning was classic.