Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can't afford a 32 3 window, make one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Turkey, Jan 11, 2009.

1. 8flat

8flat

Nice looking ride. I would sure try to integrate a cowl vent.....

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I think folks have a VERY short memory. I'm an old dude - even had a 32 once - back when they were just "old cars". I can recall as they became more scarce (and expensive) - fiberglass bodies were brought out by a few entrepreneurial companies. Some were good, but some no so good. Bad ones died a righteous death and the good ones (I will not specify brands for fear of either forgetting one, or engendering the wrath of a HAMBer whose experience was not good) stayed with us and allowed those people that wanted a Deuce to build one. All were accepted (except by the 'snooties', and we all know who THEY are) and welcomed regardless of style or level of completion. Then steel bodies came along, and they were good...and they had the right details...and all of a sudden there became more 'snooties' that looked down upon the lowly plastic hot rods. Too bad...the idea is to build what you want - and however you get there (blood, sweat, and tears or a direct-from-wallet build) the end result is that you're driving a hot rod you like. How you and your car are received among REAL hot rodders (ie: HAMBers) will depend largely on YOU, not on what your car is made out of. We need to remember that had fiberglass bodies not been produced and then sold so well, - swelling the ranks of hot rods, street rods, whatever - the companies that make steel would not have had the impetus to move forward with such an expensive undertaking. To me, if a guy with a reproduction steel body has the audacity to look down on a feller with a 'glass body, then he's a hypocrite. Just because his body is a closer semblance of the original, it is still a copy...as is the fiberglass car. I suppose there's some 'bragging rights' accorded to those who have either the money to acquire one of Henry's finest, or the prescience to have held onto one for many years, but aside from that - a well-done hot rod is a hot rod - pure and simple. I think the fact that YOU built it yourself goes much farther than the material it's constructed of.

In my not so humble opinion anyway.

dj

Kan Kustom, murpa and olskl_dave like this.
  3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Are you going to run a hood or no? What wheels and tires? What color will it be. Looks pretty bitchin so far. I dig all the care to make it look more authentic. Everyone with a glass body should care that much. It makes a huge difference.

4. Southfork

Southfork

Wow! Those 36 Bone reinforcements and rear end brackets really are beautiful! Should be strong enough too. great work. What is the rear axle out of?

5. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Thanks to all. I'm glad you like it. I was slow to post all this for fear of using the glass body. Now I feel much better. I would like to put in a swinging windshield and cowl vent, but that would be another grand or two. Maybe down the road. I just want to get it on the road as soon a possible. It's a friggin ton of work for one man.
    Not going to run a hood, maybe down the road, I will have to make it because the firewall is farther away from the grill than a real one. The rear 9 inch is out of a 1959 wagon, I'm using 31 spline axles with 5 on 5.5 wheel. Steel wheels with big and little wide whites.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Who did the hot tank/ cleaning/ machinework on your engine? I just made a deal on a 289 last night for my Merc.

7. Skirv

Skirv

I did a swinging windshield in my fiberglass car. I feel it was worth the effort. It provides good interior circulation too. Some people refuse to look at the car when they realize that's it's fake but it doesn't bother me. I enjoy it just the same and it's carried me for thousands and thousands of fun miles. Keep up the good work I say.

[​IMG]

8. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Local shop here in Deland cleaned the block and did all the head work for me. I put bigger valves in them.

9. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I love it!
    if you ask me, the glass is a bonus when you are living in the rust belt!
    thanks for posting.

10. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Ole Hot Turkey has busted his ass on this...It's amazing when you have a landscape buisness...and it slows down in the winter...how much shit you can get done. When you build a car on your own and drive it (reguardless of fiberglass) says more than some rich bastard just buying a real one already done. Hot rodding is about getting into the hobby, learning every aspect of building and doing it yourself and driving it like a rental car! If someone dont like your car because it is fiberglass...just bust'em in the mouth!:D

11. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

That is one damn fine looking automobile. I've been pondering a glass body but they also seem to look so "Street Rody". But wow, if you can make them look like this, I'm in. (Don't let my welder see this post. He will cry).

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Also do a search on Groucho's glass deuce to see the possibilities.

13. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

A car is how you build it, style etc, not the material that it is made from. Keep going and drive it with pride and a stupid grin from ear to ear

14. I'd be interested in seeing some close up shots of your mounts. Did you glass them onto the inside of the body? Having never worked with fiberglass I'm curious how this is done. Sorry if it is obvious to most!!

15. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I will post more pics of that for you when I can. It's all blown apart right now for paint.

16. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

that air cleaner is off a cadillac.

17. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

You are doing a great job on the car. Lets see don't get glass because you won't be accepted when you don't have the big bucks for steel. Do your own thing and be proud of the work you are doing. If people don't like it, it's there problem, your little girl likes it. That first picture takes me back 35 years to my little girl. Don't let her grow up too fast enjoy these years.

Skirv,
    Your car looks awesome. I would trade you a barn full of mediocre cars for your glass coupe.

18. krooser

krooser

Don't worry about havin' a glass deuce...frickin' Corvette people hate steel 'Vette's, too!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    kiwijeff likes this.
  19. madwagon56

madwagon56

just caught in on this thread, great job man keep us posted with lots of pictures.

20. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Damn...now that's funny:D:D:D:D

Clay Belt likes this.
  21. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

cool build. coming together nicely.

22. Herdez

Herdez

LMAO! Thats the same thing I realized when I created my What if? price sheet last year. Very excited to see this buildup thread. maybe this is the way to go.

23. slepe67

slepe67

so, I' m NOT alone;)

Turkey is building his WAY more traditional than I am! Dude, I love the build, and for anyone who won't look at a car because it's plastic, what are THEY driving?

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is one bitchin car.

25. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

Seriously...why didn't they make a new Knight Rider off of that????

26. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Well here is my coupe it Glass from Australia. I like the hinges and the cowl works. I also made the windshield swing like stock coupe
    Dave

Attached Files:

27. TimDavis

TimDavis

Wow Del. Tell us how you really feel -

28. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Actually it is a repop of the one that used to be on Cadillac... Speedway and others sell them...

29. splitmike

splitmike

X2

nice traditional looking rod no matter what material it is made from.
    Keep it rolling

30. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I have been up close to this one at the Billetproof show and I have to say this is one Kick Ass car. I don't give a shit, anyone that wouldn't like something like this has to be really fucking stupid. :D

Oh yeah Skirv did I mention I love this car.

~~Lockwood