Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage NZ Jalopy Dust Up - Dirt Track Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Stokes, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Well what a day!
    Today was the 1st Annual (I hope) Jalopy Dust Up at the Waihi Dirt Track Club in the Bay of Plenty in New Zealand.

Organised by The Beach Hop's Noddy Watts and crew it was the best event in NZ I have been to in quite a while - just f'ng BRILLIANT.

The country style track was unreal with an outlook into the ocean, and the atmosphere of the day was real run what you brung stuff.

Squeak Bell was enjoying himself in a variety of cars and check out the tyre distortion and air between the tyres and dirt

Thanks Noddy and crew - just awesome!

PICS AND INFO HERE
    http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2698&page=7&pp=10

Attached Files:

2. NR-NZ

NR-NZ

Kool Greg.

Wish id known about it, would have been good to have been there.

3. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Man !.....Thanks for the pix.....nice to see guys running the hell out of their cars for a change instead of sitting beside them in a lawn chair......You got some great cars there too.....

4. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

Looks like it was a heap of fun! And some pretty sweet pics there too! Loving the little roadsters! And that buick wagon with the wood, awesome!

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm curious to know how many Kiwi HAMBers are going to the Kumeu Hot Rod Show, 17th & 18th of January. I'm heading up on the 17th. I know there's a fair bit of billet, but there's plenty of trade and swap sites for us more traditionally inclined folk to look at! And I was hoping there'd be a few more traditional style cars there that would be suitable to photograph and put on the HAMB!

So, how 'bout it?

5. It was totally fun - just incredible! Re Kumeu feel free to email me at [email protected] if you like. Its usually pretty good.

Yep, it sure is the best way to view old time hot rods isnt it!

We had updates on the forum and in the mag - always next year now!

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just love it... more new screen desk tops!! Gary

7. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

What a cool looking event.

8. That looks like ALOT of fun! Check out the link guys, lots of great pics in there. SuperGrease cracked me up!

9. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

All I can say is fuck the rules - we broke every one there was and had a shit load of fun. And guess what? No one got injured..... not even close.

A big thanks to the racers who all respected what we put together and no one spoiled the day....

We need some more photos on here!

Dust Up 2010 will be even more fun....

Noddy

10. Did some one say more photos?

Attached Files:

11. Here is some more photos

Attached Files:

12. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

Thanks Greg! Some great action shots... I look forward to any coverage in NZ Hot Rod Mag... and on the Red Shift Prime TV 14 March at 4:30pm...

I got the feeling something very special happened yesterday.... Still buzzing about it - and I didn't even race!

Noddy

13. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

Hi Kev!

Greg - did you hear the announcer call you as "Super Scoop"? during your match race with "Super Grease"? In reference to your reporting job at NZ Hot Rod Mag of course.. It was a crack up....

14. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

Yep, it sure is! I've been many a time and it's great! I'm hoping to take my guitar with me and have it pinstriped, if I can find some 'stripers there! And get a bunch of hot rod t shirts to so I can wear them to school and heavily promote hot rodding in my last year there!

And check out the cars of course.

15. Yup, definitely a top day! Noddy nailed it and it reminded me of the racing back in the '60's, Real grass roots stuff!

The effort the racers made to not only do their best time but to also make it entertaining for the spectators and crew is to be applauded.

Great to see the vast variety of rods, classics and dirt track cars and midgets.
    Definitely be at the next one, for sure.
    Must rustle up one or two pix....

16. Rajo 1

Rajo 1

Squeak Bell is one of the coolest hot rodders I have ever met.

17. Best I could do with my 2 megp phone, you get the drift anyways. Other great shots on the link.
    Cheers,
    Cruisin.

18. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

Thanks Crusin'! Great photos.... Be good to see some of Fish's photos as well... Can we steal them?

I really dig these videos....
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s300.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid300.photobucket.com/albums/nn1/fshtnk/Peanut2.flv"></embed>
    Peanut manages to bring her 32 roadster back onto the track after losing it....

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s300.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid300.photobucket.com/albums/nn1/fshtnk/271.flv"></embed>
    327 Chev powered vintage sprint car...

Noddy

19. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

You aren't wrong! Squeak is home NZ for our summer... I'm certain he got behind the wheel of at least 3 cars during the day and took them for a blast around the track.... at full noise!

20. flatoz

flatoz

very cool.

I wonder if street rodders know you can actually get your cars dirty!

I heard a rumor they were still making paint.

21. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

22. 55olds88

55olds88

Looks like a great day well done Noddy, See if ya can't move it too November or sometime a little quieter for next time :)

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Great fun. No doubt about it. Thanks for the pictures.

24. Thanks for the pics,that looks like a blast.:eek:

25. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

Here is a professional video from the TV Show "The Red Shift". The Dust Up will feature on March 14th at 4:30pm on Prime TV.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLuuGjmnVKY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Thanks to Cal and the crew for filming this!

Noddy

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009