Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I blueprint my 327 SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KidAgain, Jan 6, 2009.

1. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

A CHOPPED COUPE a couple questions what rpm's were you running, was it a small journal 327 and what ever happened to marv ripes and A1? just curious. thanks

2. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

The term blueprinting can mean many things to many people but it all boils down to building an engine to an exacting set of specifications. This means you may go thru much machine work, several block and head castings as well as cranks and other internals to get the specs the engine is blueprinted to. For top notch performance its a must. For the everyday Joe streetrodder its a lot of $$$$$$ to spend for an engine only to occasionally hit the high R's

3. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Parksquijada,

The 327 was a small journal, factory rated 275HP. RMP through the traps was 7500.
    I'm not sure where Marv is today, I know he and another guy developed the Pro-Flite but since I've been out of drag racing for sometime..................I'm not sure.
    Here is a picture of Camaro going together. I really wanted to run the 69 style hood, but NHRA made me take if of and replace it with the 67/68 original type...............Although I got back at them by using "offset" rocker arm studs and special stamped steel rocker arms
    that were made by a company in SoCal.................they looked totally stock to the eye, but
    gave a 1.66 to 1 ratio..............it worked......................just another way of "Blueprinting outside the Box".............................

E.C.

No, I didn't take offense and haven't read about "Blueprinting"..............I've actually done it!!........................NO BS here! So...............let's hear what motors you have put together
    and where you have gotten this knowledge from??????????????????

Attached Files:

4. Larry T

Larry T

My take on "is it worth it". How much are you willing to pay for an extra 5 or 10 horsepower?
    If you're racing and everyone is running on a level playing field that horsepower can be the difference in winning and losing, so it's worth the big bucks (and a true blueprint job does cost a lot, you basically check and remachine EVERY part of the engine). If it's a street car, an engine set up to factory tolerances will be more than acceptable. If you want more horsepower, just build a bigger engine--LOTS cheaper.
    I would spend the money to have the rotating assembly balanced though.
    Larry T

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

You guys are funny!

A Chopped Coupe, since I'm pretty sure E.C. won't bother responding to your question, I'll answer it for you.

Ever heard of Reher Morrison?

Eric has worked as a machinist for Reher Morrison for the last 5 or 6 years (I don't remember exactly), and just recently decided to take a job at another company. I can guarantee you that his opinion and subsequent advice is not coming from a lack of experience.

Yes it is a good idea to "blueprint" an engine if you are looking for every last horsepower, but it is not always cost effective.

Now that we have that out of the way, maybe you guys can continue the discussion?

6. EXACTLY, plus more! It's a huge job that most people don't know the extent of. But all too many loosely throw the term around. It also includes such tweaker shit as to make sure the bellhousing surface at the rear of the block is true square to the crankshaft centerline, the flange on the crank (where the flywheel goes)is square to it's centerline, as well as other very minute details. But dualquad55 "hit it". Cylinders equi-distant to eachother as well as being correct ange to crank. NOT JUST BORED ROUND. Lifter bores re-done as mentioned. Very very invloved. Strictly for "class" racing where limited modifications allowed, NASCAR where big money and strict rules are involved, etc

7. MilSpec

MilSpec
    from Georgia

SoCal Pete, oh my oh my, you remember those days when the engine building BS would get so deep! All those hearsay terms like full race cam v.s. a 3/4 race cam!! Oh yeah, balanced and blueprinted motors. I remember hearing those terms thrown around along with the pop-tops off of beer cans. CaLCustom aluminum valve covers were the most that half those guys could do and park with their hoods lifted to show them off. I'm not here to "hate", just to agree with some of those old awful terms.

First motor I rebuilt was a Briggs & Stratton 3 HP, I was 11.

8. 6chevy9

6chevy9

"The best procedure for building any engine is patience, care and constant rechecking."__Hal Klieves

9. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

Should I use 1/4" or 1/8" scale on my blueprints?

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We need a "high five" smilie on here...:D

11. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

12. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

Wow I see really good and really bad answers here. Engine pro said it better than I can and I agree.