Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas inspection?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G.A.B., Jan 8, 2009.

1. G.A.B.

G.A.B.
    from ames,ia.

I use to live in Tx. and the inspection was a pain. But now you have emisson laws to what is the law? and how are you geting around it? I'm running a 671 blower so you know it is rich.

2. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

I think the cutoff is 25 years old - older than that is not subject to emissions testing.

3. Anderson

Anderson

Emissions don't apply to anything older than 1968.

What year is your car? Safety inspection only on cars older than 24 years.

4. G.A.B.

G.A.B.
    from ames,ia.

52 ford pickup pro street top droped 3.5in.78 camaro stub in front ford 9 in. back also have 41 chev. 350 /350 it is a driver it can get pass the the gas pump.

5. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I just register all my junk as antiques so there is never an inspection of any kind.

6. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

The emission testing is only employed in counties with population exceeding certain limits. The counties in and surrounding the large cities are where is is implemented. Non attainment area is I think what it is called. DFW, Houston, San Antonio and Austin are, I believe, the only places right now.

7. Frank

Frank

But again, that only applies if the vehicle is less than 25 years old.

You got nothing to worry about.

8. born loser

born loser
    from dallas

Depends on where you are at.
    All of my vehicles are registered/inspected in Wood County in E. Texas. Just honk horn, run wipers, check lights and signals.
    I did notice a few months ago the shop was bought out and the guy was being an ass. He checked the tires, drove it, checked to see if it had mufflers, seatbelts, and even made me hook up signal indicator lights in the cab and a hi-beam indicator. No emissions check on any year out there though.

9. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Do the antique tags. No inspection of any kind and if you get pulled over, just say you're on your way to a car show out of town. You're allowed to drive to car shows, parades and special events or to the repair shop or club meetings. It's awfully hard to prove that you weren't heading to some show or meeting. Most cops won't care unless they're thoroughly bored and you're doing something stupid.

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

San Antonio/Austin doesn't have emissions testing like Ft Worth/Dallas, and Houston.
    In San Antonio they just check to see if all the "components" are there, and in Texas once the vehicle is 25 years old or older they are exempt, my 88 ford ranger just turned 25, and they just checked the lights, horn, wipers, and insurance, that's it.

11. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

They arent the coolest looking tags but thats what I use & its only like 50 bucks for five years...

12. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, but you can run YOM tags on antique registration.

13. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

True. I tried that but I only have one 1928 TX Plate - When I tried to register YOM tags they required me to have two even though you only dispaly one???

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  14. deathrotull

deathrotull

Watch out, if you buy a car registered in another state, even as an antique, you have to get it inspected the first time.

15. deathrotull

deathrotull

Also, you can rum YOM Plates with a real registration, not just antique.

16. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

Texas inspection is a piece of cake. They loved my T coupe and said it was 100% legal for the street which made me feel good.

17. cracker head

cracker head

thats funny shit!!!

18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'm really hoping my '63 passes inspection without too much trouble. Hopefully all of the lights work the day I take it to inspection.

19. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I've recently transferred the titles on two vehicles from out of state without the "green" Texas inspection certificate only because I registered them as antiques. The lady at the tax office called the main office to verify that the inspection certificate wasn't needed while I was standing there.

20. BISHOP

BISHOP

I tell ya what, cars running blowers do run clean on emmisions test. You will be suprised!

21. Terry

Terry

No such test here.

22. The way the law works is;

The vehicle is required to have all safety and emissions equipment that it originally came with.

Anything 25 yr's or older is eligible for antique tags, and they are cheap.

Anything with antique tags are exempt from inspection, but a lot of cops don't know that, or pretend they don't, so a sticker is cheap insurance against an unnecessary traffic stop.

Anything 25 yr's old is also exempt from inspection, but see previous paragraph.

The thing is; just because you don't have to get an inspection doesn't mean a cop can't pull you over and check and/or ticket you for defective/missing equipment.

Knowledge is power! LEE

23. pauly_z

pauly_z
    from Tejas

How do you figure that? 1988 + 25 = 2013

24. moter

moter

Travis county [Austin] and Williamson County [Round Rock and pfugerville] Have a 2 speed Idle test for anything older than a 96 model vehicle... Down to 25 years old. After that it is Saftey only.

Btw....your Truck is NOT 25 years old ;) I guess the inspector does not have a good caluculator or know simple math