Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. For the Early Chevrolet builder or owner ,I've created a new social group,called "Termites and Bowties". Hopefully all the frustrated Chevy people will come out of the "woodwork" and join this "splinter group".:eek: Here's a bunch of Chevrolets,that have been on the HAMB before,just to show everyone that there are non Fords too.

Attached Files:

2. Yep, had a ton of termite timbers in the 34 chevy truck I'm going through right now. Funny thing was I found some baby Scorpion skins in the wood pieces also. Freaked me out, I've seen the things on TV but never a real one up close. Carl Hagan

Durbinspeedshop likes this.
  3. And a few more.

Attached Files:

EVL401, grumpy32, LOU WELLS and 5 others like this.
  4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Throw me in there with my '31 Chevy.

[​IMG]

In this pics you can see the Sawdust at the bottom from cutting. Hahaha!!!
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy and volvobrynk like this.

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

steve's gold coupe is as beautiful in person as in the pics. the 250 six in it screams too! He drives the wheels off the thing. when I saw it he had just driven it straight through from arizona to massachusetts! guy is nuts I tell ya!

6. scoop

scoop

I'm in,31 Chevy pu.I'll post pics later.

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks Bowtie I like chevys and chevy talk. Me and my delivery will be here...ghost

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

1 29 chevy sedan.

in progress

9. thechopperguy

thechopperguy

All the wood was long gone from my '33 Master Coupe when I got it, so at least I didn't have to fight any termites. I'm really looking forward to getting going on this thing.

Attached Files:

EVL401 and biggeorge like this.
  10. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

One more Chevy, getting closer to go to the exhaust shop, glass and got the wheels from Busted Knuckles yesterday. All it takes is mo money!:D

11. sundance

sundance
    from minnesota

i'm in with '32 sedan

12. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Thanks for starting this bowtie; Here's my daily driver, a '29 Chivvy Custom Truck. I suicided the doors. My plans are (someday) to slam it, channel it a couple more inches. I already have it chopped a couple inches and channelled a couple more, but think some more would do it right. When the wood spokes get tired I'll put 16" steelies off a '41 on it. I've been driving it since '02 with a lot of work in progress and two paint jobs. Motor is Chivvy 250 L6.

Termites? Well I did the support structure in combinatin of steel and wood. I fabricated new sills from wood that a lathe was shipped on, Made the garnish moldings from wood and gave away the steel ones. The doors have some wood in them, roof bows are wood with aircraft fabric (Stitts Process) roof cover, and floorboards are wood.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  14. ohiotj

ohiotj
    from SW Ohio

Count me in :)

Attached Files:

Fast Eddie 27 likes this.
  15. Ghost28

Ghost28

i wonder if that body is longer than a 2 door just curious...ghost

16. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

Mine from 1966:

[​IMG]

Mine now----hoping to replace my long gone chevy:

[​IMG]

17. ohiotj

ohiotj
    from SW Ohio

To give you some perspective, the platform it is on is 8 feet long. I'm going out to continue pulling the suspension from the frame once I'm finished digesting dinner. I'll try to measure the body while I'm in the garage. I suspect its the same, though. It definitely gives the illusion its longer.

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Same chassis was used on all models, coupe, sedan, coach, cabrolet, landeau, imperial landeau, phaeton. 107" wheel base from '28 to '30. 109" in '31 and '32. Sedan body hung back a bit over the rear apron than the Coach did. A couple of inches. In the frame at the rear there were 4 bolt holes on the '31 I had, the Coach body bolted to the 2 more forward ones. I'm assuming the Sedan used the rearmost holes. Don't remember if my '29 frame had the 4 holes or not?
    Sedan=4door. Coach=2door

19. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

20. kelzweld

kelzweld

This ones not really early but its all wood from the doors back. It's right hand drive, registered new in NZ in 36, and as far as I know it's been a pickup all its life, although it's built with car parts. A colonial coachbuilt job I think. I've also been told its a cut down car, but the doors don't look like any car doors I've seen. Have any of you guys seen 36 doors where the beltline ends in a spear like these ones?

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

70 years old, with termite food for structure, is early! I like wood, but it costs a lot less to replace with steel when it's rotten. That wood you have there looks good enough to keep.

22. I took all the wood out of this one. Some day I'll make a Car out of it again. I need a steel gas tank cover for it so it will be all steel. Happens to be 34/35 standard that will fit. Ya, the wheels Suck but ya gotta roll it on something. Also changing the Nose Bleed attitude is on the list.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  23. ohiotj

ohiotj
    from SW Ohio

Don't know about 29, but my 28 chassis just has slotted bolt holes in the back.

Ghost28: Just a quick measurement, looks like the body is about 8 feet long from the front of the cowl to the back of the body at its farthest back part.

24. Oh man! What have I gotten myself into?
    Not a Chevy. '33 Olds. As is. No more parts than what shows in the pics.
    Only the very bottom wood and roof frame is rotten.
    What size tubing do you guys use?

Attached Files:

Pats55 likes this.
  25. Ghost28

Ghost28

Most inner structure is 3/4 inch, lower body is 1 1/4 inch, just around rockers. The body you have looks very solid and a lot better than most wood structured cars that are available. it looks to be a good project, take lots of pictures...ghost

26. kelzweld

kelzweld

Some of the wood is still solid, some is not and a little bit is gone altogether. More thoughts are that if I'm going to steel it out, I'll do it all in one go. Steels easier for me than wood because I work with it for a living, but i think a little wood will find it's way back in there around the windows.

27. Ghost28

Ghost28

I just measured my 2 door coach and it is 92 inches or about 4 inches shorter in the body than the 4 door sedan. If I would of had a 4 door. The delivery could have been 4 inches longer. Oh well coulda, shoulda, woulda. I am happy with what I got. And it would have been more work STEEL STRUCTURE IN JUST THE FLOORING ALL THE SIDE WALLS ARE THE SAME...ghost

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  28. ohiotj

ohiotj
    from SW Ohio

Wow, thats weird, I'dve thought they'd be the same, since its on the same chassis. By the way, thanks for sharing all those photos in the vaious Chevy threads, the lower wood on my 28 is shot, so I'll be using a lot of your work as a reference. Kind of wish I had a two door, though, since it looks like alignment would be a lot easier with two less doors.

29. autobilly

autobilly

Hey Bowtie, I don't run an old Chev but I dig 'em.
    Check out Jimmy B's cool early lakes style roadster project in his albums.

31Truckster and volvobrynk like this.
  30. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

The name says it all. Nothing like taking on the giant your first time out the gate.

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS likes this.