Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

While we are on the the subject of Dirt Champ cars and cammers and such, here's some pics of Colo. racer Jim Malloy. He showed great promise until fate stepped in at Indy. These are about the only pics I have of his Dirt Champ cars and would love to see more if anybody has some.

Attached Files:

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Makes sense, the way they are positioned made me think they were attached to the cage. Thanks.

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Rootie and JohnnyFast, thanks!!! The photos are perfect. Glad to see I'm not the only guy who likes to back up the diecasts this way. I've got an autographed photo of Pat O'Connor in the Ansted-Rotary car the same way, and a photo of Parnelli taken at Salem behind the Fike sprinter.

Thanks again.

4. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

We actually used gas..fired quicker. That was one of the disadvantages of the nozzles being high...a bitch to start.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A couple more. While, unfortunatly, the Foyt is b/w the "going for a sunday drive" attitude and haze off the rr is classic Foyt.

Attached Files:

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jimmy C. in the 55 car in 1975. I have no info on the other pic, but it's carrying the #1 and the air box looks to be later 70s. So I'm just guessing here... but maybe Larry Rice ???

Attached Files:

7. Not sure who it is here but, it's my understanding Ken Schrader took this car to it's great garage in the sky by way of a guardrail.

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yep, sure could be K.S. He was champ in 81 IIRC. Champ cars were long lasting and slow to change, so that could easily be a 82 car. Thanks.

9. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

Rootie, 'Who cares about that #1 car, by then it had a Chevy engine........'J/T. Now, back on topic: Gary at Syracuse the day he really made Roger Penske mad! This is hot-lapping right before he punched a hole in the roof of that concession stand. I'd post the pics but.........they're awfully painful to look at!.........................................[​IMG]

10. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Hmmm...Am I seeing that right ? Long and soft rf coil with a helper bar ? I always wondered how his career would have been different if it wasnt for that day....

11. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

I was a big Gary B fan and that day you speak of I was in turn one on the fence. Very violent ride!......I have been told he was flat footing it around that day.-Tom

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not the best way to impress your new boss, Roger Penske, I guess. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Probably driver adjustable too. Edmunds had a dumaflodgy deal kinda like that for the rr on coil midgets.

Attached Files:

14. I have one of those setups that was going on my midget when it was being built to race. The other end would have been just a stop. It could have been used as an adjustable roll stabilizer when configured as shown in the pics.

Attached Files:

15. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I'm pretty familiar with the rotating blade type on the coil cars(with the coils layed in too far). But I hadnt noticed helpers on anything that early...like you guys suggest, he may have ran a jacker off of it. I see one extra hole in the torsion arm for a minor adjustment. Was that a Willie Davis owned car ?

16. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Anyone have any pictures of Bill Baue driving the 78? It would be about the 94-96 time frame. The car had an 1970's Grant King looking body.

17. 8889coupe

8889coupe

heres a few pics of my trip to cavelcade today......

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  18. AF/X

AF/X

see 8889,

very nice!!!!!
    that setup there is what i want. that looks so cool.
    you gotta have a blast pulling that combo?
    where is cavelcade? and what is it?

19. AF/X

AF/X

the driver in this picture (no. 2 car) looks kinda like President George Bush! see quote!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  20. 8889coupe

8889coupe

cavelcade is in cincinnati ohio and its a once a year car show, for the longest time it was for trailer queens but now thanks to corngrower(JOSH) its turning back the future and now there are alot of vintage hot rods..... more pics to come soon....

21. 8889coupe

8889coupe

here is a quick pic of the hart&jones sprinter with the old push truck behind it.... sorry the pic is a little blurry.....

Attached Files:

22. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

Gary Bettenhausen never really got the credit for being a thinker and an innovator. He had been building and tinkering with this car since '72-'73 before he ultimately destroyed it at Syracuse that day in July of 1974. Thus, the end of his career with Roger Penske who had always "badgered' him to quit running the midgets, sprint cars and champ dirt cars. This pic I've posted is very poor quality (and I apologize for that) but I wanted to post it for those like Jim Deiter and others who are particularly interested in chassis design. You can see that the car had torsion tubes on the front for helper bars (or, take off coils and run torsion bars) along with the parallel bar helper AND the coil-over shocks. 'Quite a bit of extra weight? Maybe that's why he later put in the Ford DOHC? Also, obviously the car had side mounted radiators. Don Edmunds, almost ten years later went to the "blade" stiffener in the rear of his coil cars. And Racinfool, it's true about Gary flat-footing it around Syracuse that day. I wasn't there that day but, remember reading in NSSN that Gary told Chris Econamaki from his hospital bed: "The car was hummin" and that observers said he wasn't lifting at all in the corners.[​IMG] I also remember Gary making a gentlemen's bet with the promoter Keith Hall at Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix in 1971, that he could flat-foot it all the way around in qualifying for a USAC Midget race. 'Gary won the bet and set an all-time track record at the time which included eclipsing even the sprint car record. He was definitely a guy to admire!

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yikes! I had a hard enough time figuring out adjusting a conventional setup, I wouldn't even know where to begin on that deal :rolleyes:
    Kinda looks like Jimmy Caruthers standing on left in that pic.

I've posted this before; but if you look up racer in the dictionary, I'm pretty sure you'll find this picture of G.B. :)

Attached Files:

24. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  25. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  26. racer5c

racer5c

Yes Willie owned it, I was there that day also. looks like a parellel torsion bar with a coil spring also, Gary liked to engineer things, he was driving for my dad and kept wanting a lower gear, my pop was pissed cause he was screaming the engine and put a tach in the car. no problem Gary would just hit the reset button on the tach, so my old man ended up putting the tach under the hood where he couldnt get to it to reset it.

27. racer5c

racer5c

My first Midget was a Bettenhausen Monocock chassis he and Harry Turner built them, the only tubing frame was the roll cage and the torsion bars that bolted onto the aluminum tub. Was a real pain in the ass to work on.

28. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Gary drove for us, at Armstrong Mould, a couple of times. He had a "talent" for taking a car with a good basic setup and, within a few practice sessions, totally "engineering" himself "out of business".

In 1980, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, we gave Gary the old Wildcat/DGS Offy, which was a great Speedway car. After a couple of days, Gary had lost about 5 or 6 MPH from our basic correct setup and was on the verge of being "tossed" from the car.
    Sherman Armstrong decided to try to save the deal and hired Willie Davis to take over Gary's car. Willie was the only guy, on the planet, Gary would listen to.
    Willie, quickly, got the car straightened out and Gary drove it to a 3rd place finish, which was his best ever Indy finish and also the final race ever for an Offenhauser engine at Indianapolis.

Attached Files:

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Just for giggles, a 180 deg. turn from the Dirt Champ "monsters of the midway" to lil' ol 70" w.b. 2 bangers :):

Attached Files:

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files: