Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RCT

RCT

Corngrower
    Thanks for starting this thread. It brought back many memories. I remember living in Ossian and talking to Coxie Bowman and Les Scott. I learned a lot then, and am still learning.

"Sprint Cars are for young men with someplace to go and a hurry to get there; or Old men with no place to go."

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Your welcome... ...and, Welcome aboard. I can't believe how much I have learned in the year it's been up..

On that note, It's getting close to our 1 Year on here. I'll see if I can't dig up somethin Special for the Thread turning 1 yr old. :D

---------------------

AF/X.. Your fun has just begun. Wait till you get some Ol' timer that knows what he's looking at approch you. When that happens, Just quit talking and LISTEN!!! It's amazing the stories and info you'll get from strangers in the crowd.;)

JD

3. No, afraid not. In the 30's & 40's he was my A.J. Foyt. I knew where his Speed Shop was & where he worked on his cars but I never met him. My Dad kept some of the local paper news clippings & put in a scrapbook which I still have. Do you go to Latimore in August ? ML9

4. Corngrower
    Are the pictures of the red # 22 the as posted above, the Doc Bowles car? I noticed the red car is lettered Bowes, not Bowles. Just wondered. ML9.

5. You scored big f'n time!

6. AF/X

AF/X

thanks everybody for your comments on the old sprint i just got. i drove all over town today with it on the truck. what a blast!
    My dad has a 59 elcamino that has been parked for several years. i've decide that i'm going to get that up and running and use that as my tow vehicle. it'll look awesome!
    my first place i'm going with it is the Manzanita raceway in phoenix on Feb 20 for the COPPER ON DIRT. will any of you all be there???????? if so i'd like to meet up with you. let me know.

also i spoke with Rick Stewart of Stewart Racing Products in phoenix today (awesome guy) he spent about an hour on the phone with me explaining the history on my new sprint car. he was the fabricator for Auto Machine Racing in phoenix and built this car that i have. he now owns Stewart Racing Products in Phoenix. i now know pretty much the whole history with one phone call. thanks GRUMPY RACER of the H.A.M.B. for his phone no. i really appreciate it.

like i said if anybody is going to the Copper On Dirt Feb 20th. please let me know.
    thanks again for everybodys help.

if you see a guy driving around the country with a old yellow sprint car behind his truck it's probably me.

7. '59 Elky to boot!

8. I too know what it's like to just pull an old dirt car around town. At that moment if I have the time, I envy no one!

9. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

[​IMG]The The Super Team.......'Even On The Dirt!!!​

10. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Awesome!!! Got any more?
    PK

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

THAT PICTURE IS BAD ASS!:eek:

INDY MILE!! Dad and I were there Sunday for a Hot Rod Swap meet. We walked up to the turn Four wall and checked it out. It is in SUPER shape! THEY BETTER HAVE THAT RACE THIS YEAR!!

It's KILLER!!

Just to look down that straight a way, and have to actually squint and focus your eyes to see where it turns in to turn One.

Beautiful!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yep, same car.. same owner. Damn Race car painters, there useless!

I get at least one guy a week that comes in my shop, asks about the BOWLES Ranger project, I tell them it the "BOWLES" car, and they say "WOW!! I loved that car, it was always my favorite. Did A.J. drive this one!" :D

Ofcoarse they are thinking of the BOWES SEAL FAST car. :rolleyes:

You guys on here know the difference, but the everyday guys don't get it. Half of them leave my shop thinking, "What an idiot, that guy doesn't even know what car that is!"

JD

13. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Super Team....That described them pretty well. Great sounding motors too. That was about the same time as Gary B's Moser, and I think AJ had a ford in as well. If I remember correctly...Grant King cars ??

14. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Josh...regarding the size of the miles. First time I took a friend with me to springfield. We drove under the tunnel and I told him we had to park. his first question...."where is the track"?? My reply...You're in it..lol

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A.J. 69-70ish, judging by the tires ??

Attached Files:

16. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Root...Bout right on the year. I think cages were mandatory around 70 ish ? As a youngster I heard all those complaints in the BS sessions after races. They (cages)werent well accepted initially, (about like electric starters on midgets)but it certainly saved a couple drivers.

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

My info on these pics says it's A.J. at DuQuoin but no year, but I'm not 100% sure. Whoever it is, I think a cage would have come in handy a little later on. :eek:

Attached Files:

• AJ.jpg
      AJ.jpg
      File size:
      90.4 KB
      Views:
  18. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Agreed, Might even be the same day...

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

There a little dirtier here, but you know these two guys want to beat each other so bad they can taste it.

Attached Files:

20. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Hard to get any work done, I keep having to go back and look at that picture some more.

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

And if don't think so ..........

Attached Files:

22. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Rootie, 'Those pictures of A.J. Foyt in the #7 car are 1970. The ruling (USAC) on cages were: 'For USAC National Midgets & Sprint Cars: Optional in 1970; then mandatory starting in 1971. For the USAC National Championship Dirt Cars they were optional up until becoming mandatory in 1972.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  23. Is that Howerton in the 42 ?

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

In the above pic, that's Jackie Howerton in the #42 turbo'd monster that actually beat them both while they were busy putting the moves on each other. ;)

Attached Files:

25. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Get some work done... are you kidding? Work is the curse of the leisure class.
    PK

26. About 20-some years ago I found the 42 car in a shed in Hastings, Michigan. I wanted to make an offer on it but I knew I wouldn't have the wherewithal for a TurboOffy so I passed. A fella from Perrysburg, Ohio that I sold a vintage tire to later bought it and put a Chevy in it.

Sorry for the crummy picture.

Attached Files:

27. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

A little something for the builders
    Harry Millers first car patent
    And the Campbell C8

Attached Files:

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I had it figured for 69 too, but the car # difference has me confused. (?)

Attached Files:

29. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Here is another I found trolling the net.

Attached Files:

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mike Mosley in Watsons cammer.

Attached Files: