Register now to get rid of these ads!

i owe the state double what i paid in taxes??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kraka138, Jun 30, 2008.

1. That is all from all the jackass from cali that moved there and brought their brain dead no common sense ways with them!! I always take pics of it half assembled in a pile to prove it is worth what the bill of sale says, kinda of hard to argue with pics.

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Does it give you some sort of childish giggles to remind everyone that his middle name is Hussein. So, that's te President-Elect's middle name. Get used to it.
    Does his middle name somehow imply that he is something other than an American just like you? No. No more, no less.

3. sounds like everyone is trying to catch california in screwing it's own citizens.........

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Californians don't move to Illinois...find a new scapegoat

5. i live in ky. thats exactly right. if you "trade even" or if someone "gives" you the car, then, they go straight to the book for taxable value. you should see the numbers they come up with out of this book. a guy i know went to transfer title on a 50 merc he'd had for years. they tried to tax him on $37,500. this is a $6000 car on a good day. he finally got it straightened out, but, was a hassle. i'd like to use their book when i'm trading in!

6. johnboy13

johnboy13

Like we could forget

7. firemangordy

firemangordy

I wasn't thinking of that when I wrote it but, his middle name must bother you or you wouldn't have brought it up. Obviously it didn't bother the majority of people in this country because they voted him in. As far as what his middle name implies I think it reflects his Arab heritage just as Juan might reflect a Mexican heritage or Donato might reflect an Italian heritage. Try not to be so sensitive.

8. BobG

BobG

The Illinois Governor needs some bail money

Attached Files:

9. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

When I bought my Dodge, the owner was here in Texas. HE had bought it from a guy, who had bought it from a guy in West Virginia. The original owner was long since dead.
    And, the signature on the back of the West Virginia title was a woman's name, presumably the dead fellows wife.
    So, I got home, dipped a brush in an Alcohol+Water solution and removed her signature.
    Then I signed it with the dead guys moniker.
    I went to the tax office with that title, an insurance form I had made in photoshop and $110 dollars later (cuz I stated I paid $200 for the car and it was an 'out of state' title), and I was walking out with a registration and plates. The new title came in the mail 2 weeks later.

I feel for ya man, just remember, if a man created it (system) another man can beat it.
    ~Jef

10. You must not have gotten the memo. You were supposed to send the Governor a $50 money order.

Rotflmao!!!!

11. So you registered it without it really being insured? I'm confused.

But I know that ol' B.O. has nothing to do with it. (Or B.H.O. for those of you inclined to use the middle name.)

What it boils down to is the whole thing, the law, is just a game you have to play, it's all in either hopping through the hoops they tell you, or finding a creative way to side-step them and make everyone happy.

12. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Maybe they thought you wanted to make an offer for the open Senate seat.

13. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Ha ha haha

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Laugh it up I gotta work for the son of a b*tch! on the brighter side I did get to see Emil Jones fall down some stairs once

15. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

I got mine today. Traded my 51 Chevy for a 46 Caddy about 5 months ago. Paid my $25 tax at time of title and reg. Got a letter today from Dept of Revenue saying my Cadillac was worth over $15000.00 and I owe them $803.00 plus fines for understating the value. I called and asked how they put a value on a 63 yr old car without seeing it. He said blue book and the state recognized it worth over $15000.00. I invited the whole Department of Revenue over to inspect the car, I even said I would have coffee and doughnuts. He said we dont need to go that far. Just send the bill of sale stating the trades and values, the $25.00 is all that was due that I already paid. Gotta love Illinois!!! Fingers crossed.

16. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

IL state department of revenue said they appraise the cars sight unseen at no miles and mint condition, it is up to the owner to prove otherwise.

I was kind of screwed with mine. I bought the car from someone whos name wasn't on the title. I couldn't use the bill of sale from the guy I bought the car from because it didn't match the name on the title. I sold the car to a guy in FL in November so I couldn't get an appraisal, and I did contact the person whos name was on the title but they were reluctant to give me a bill of sale because they didn't want to get stuck with claiming the income tax.

I found out the car was traded through a used car lot (on consignment) but was sold through the business. Thankfully they gave me a fair market appraisal for the car, which was under $15,000.00.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  17. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

I'm in KY. NOTARIZED BILL OF SALE. It's a must. Good luck

18. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

You really need to pay more attention to what your politicians stand for,especially those of you who fell under the Obama mania spell. Here ,our taxes are horrific and our government(state and federal) are trying to borrow 200 billion off shore to prop up the economy because of the financial crises in America. Our Politicians are cut from the same cloth as Obama so i see big taxes on the horizon for you.
    But back to the topic...
    The state of Illinois has a reputation of people who sit in the governor's chair somehow ending up in jail. With Rod Blagojevich in jail , he is the fourth Illinois governor of the last eight governors to be in jail. Yes, that sounds horrible. But as you will see, it's not as bad as it looks, but it also makes Gov. Blagojevich look even worse in comparison.

Just for the record, the other Illinois governors who have served time are Otto Kerner, Dan Walker, and George Ryan. And Ryan is still in jail, though Sen. Dick Durbin, of all people, was considering asking George W. Bush to pardon Ryan.

Kerner's situation is perhaps the most ambigious. First of all, Kerner's bribery charges came after he was governor. Second, and we certainly aren't the only ones who think so, but many feel that Kerner was framed. And ironically, the person who pushed this prosecution, and who clearly benefited from the conviction was future Illinois Governor Jim Thompson.

(Thompson is also known as a member of the 9/11 Commission, noted for his strong disagreements with Richard Clarke. Thompson also was criticized for his lack of oversight as a director and head of the Audit Committee for Hollinger International, the media company founded by Conrad Black, who ultimately was convicted and sentenced to serve 78 months in federal prison).

Walker's jail time also stems from time after being governor of Illinois. From Wikipedia:

"In the 1980s, Walker entered the private sector with Butler-Walker, Inc, a chain of self-named quick oil-change franchises later bought out by Jiffy Lube and a pair of troubled Savings and Loans. In 1987 he was convicted of improprieties related to the First American Savings & Loan Association of Oak Brook. Media at the time reported he received over a million dollars in fraudulent loans for his business and repairs on his yacht, the Governor's Lady.... He was sentenced to seven years in federal prison, and served 18 months at a Duluth, Minnesota correctional facility."
    Not great stuff, but neither was tied to specific acts while being governor. Then we have George Ryan.

Ryan's crimes happened while he was Secretary of State, not the Governor. This involved the illegal sale of government licenses, contracts and leases by state employees. One incident as a result of the illegal sale of licenses resulted in a fiery crash where a family lost six children. And wasn't even convicted until after he left office as Governor.

Now we have Rod Blagojevich, who has been under investigation and speculation from what seems like years. And all that he has been accused of, whether true or not, happened while in the governor's chair.

Two of the three listed above are Democrats, and Blagojevich was actually the first Democrat elected to the governor's chair since Dan Walker left in 1977. But Illinois politics don't necessarily lend themselves to political labels. Republicans are generally moderate and Democrats are generally centrist.

If most of what Blagojevich is accused of is true, it will, in Patrick Fitzgerald's words, set a new low.

Illinois state does deserve its reputation in an overall sense. But there have also been great politicians. Ironically, one person who served in many roles (including as lieutenant governor under a Republican governor), but never as governor, was the late Paul Simon. To many citizens regardless of party affiliation, especially in Illinois, Simon was a politician you could be proud of. Unfortunately, the governor's chair has a curse, or cooties, or some sort of hex. You could have a lot more faith in Pat Quinn, who should become the next governor of Illinois. But if Illinois history has any say, he will still need a lot of luck.

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Ct. DMV has done this to me on a couple occasions.If they don't like the price you show on a bill of sales they will use the highest bluebook Value on it .You can either pay their fee and register then and later get a minimum of 3 appraisals from certified appraisers and submit all appraisals to them they are then supposed to get a refund of what you overpaid mailed back to you (that should take several months ).If you submit the minimum required 3 appraisals and no 2 match you get taxed on the middle one if 2 match you pay that fee,OR,You can get all the appraisals then go to DMV and go through the same thing but pay the mid price tax then.Town taxes are the same but there are a few days at tax time you can present the item at the town hall for a review by the tax office.DMV here has also started requiring you to return your tags if you stop insurance on your car for any reason If you plan to transfer the tags to a different car you must return the plates and put a hold on them.Our tags are for 2 years so if they are kept you should get back any time not used but they will refund ONLY 1 year !if you don't transfer the tags to a different car and theres say 20 months before they expire you only get a refund of 1 year

20. vertible59

vertible59

maybe we should've read GEORGE ORWELL more closely in high school! "BIG BROTHER" is definitely watching you...

21. Fat Cat

Fat Cat

It is not urban legend in Ohio. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4517.02 Subsection 6

(6) Make more than five casual sales of motor vehicles in a twelve-month period, commencing with the day of the month in which the first such sale is made, nor provide a location or space for the sale of motor vehicles at a flea market, without obtaining a license as a dealer under sections 4517.01 to 4517.45 of the Revised Code, provided that nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the disposition without a license of a motor vehicle originally acquired and held for purposes other than sale, rental, or lease to an employee, retiree, officer, or director of the person making the disposition, to a corporation affiliated with the person making the disposition, or to a person licensed under sections 4517.01 to 4517.45 of the Revised Code;

If you make more than 5 sales in a 12 month period your considered a dealer.

22. The California State Franchise Tax Board questioned the amount I paid for a 1932 Ford 4 door sedan. I sent them photos of the car, a copy of the bill of sale and a copy of the Old Cars Price Guide. That was the end of that. I probably paid too much but time has taken care of me.

Charlie Stephens

23. I'll happily continue jumping thru Illinois' hoops if you can keep your politicians from putting this idea into the heads of my politicians! Sounds like a huge pain in the a$$!

24. People used to come to America to get away from opressive government and enjoy liberty.

Now we ourselves demand with our votes that the government do these terrible things to ourselves.

Where is a place today for people to flee to, to be free again?

America was the last place to be truly free.

We let it slip away. didn't preserve it.

Anyone talking of the liberty that we used to have is regarded as part of a "fringe" group.

And we ourselves keep on voting for more BIG BROTHER.

We complain, and then vote for even more Big Brother oppression as a "solution".....

We did it to ourselves.

We will keep on doing it to ourselves. Just watch...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

As the old saying goes"what goes around comes around" well remember this cry ? " Taxation without Representation":rolleyes: it's come around again!:(:(

26. rixrex

rixrex

Texas DMV told me what my car was worth yesterday..I had worked out with the seller a bill-of-sale that said I paid $350 for the car (87 Honda 4D sedan) went to do the title transfer and she looks at some graph or website they are hooked into now, and she tells me my car is worth $600, essentially doubling the amount of tax money I was to pay..It was a new deal for me!..get ready folks here it comes, that change everybody voted for...

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably the best recourse from the getgo would be to include a couple of clear photos of said vehicle that were taken the day you bought it along with the bill of sale. And transfer the title as soon as possible. In this state we are allowed to go TPO Title purposes only and do not have to register the car when we transfer the title on cars that we don't intend to drive for a while. You pay the sales tax but not the registration fees. It's handy for a parts car or a "one of these days" car.

28. GlenC

GlenC

Downunder you have to pay tax on the purchase price of any vehicle you buy, so you have to declare the price you paid on the registration transfer. It pays to be careful though, as insurance companies have been given access to the tax records, and if you state you've bought a car for $100, then insure it for $5000 and it's written off in an accident, all the insurance company has to legally pay you is the $100 you stated you paid for it in the first place.

Cheers, Glen.

29. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

It seems the car has to be worth over 15 grand for any of this tax stuff to kick in. under that you only pay the $25

30. I gave a car to a nephew from Oregon and I live in Montana. He didn't license it or drive it anymore he just sat on the title and trailered the car to a few shows. When he decided to put it in his name the state of Montana wanted $2,000 back taxes on the car for 12 years whether it was driven or not.