Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods BARN FIND!! ....Now what to do with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gary terhaar, Jan 4, 2009.

1. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Story goes like this,I went to visit a childhood friend near lake placid ny and met with his neighbor who owned a local saw mill started by his grandfather,This was two years ago.
    I drove up in my a coupe so he decided to show me some stuff his grandfather collected and restored.Some real nice a and t stuff in a few barns all around the town they lived in.Seems like the mill did real well at one time.They own quit a bit of land up there.In one of the barns was this 32 pick up that the grandfather bought for the son in 1965.The grandfather drove it one year and over that winter the cyl head cracked(forgot to drain it and it froze)And it sat in the barn ever since.
    I got a call 3 days before x-mas and my friend tells me the truck is for sale.The price was reasonable and now i own it.My friend dragged it out and now it sits at his shop awaiting the long trip to long island come spring.
    I have a real strong 276 flat head in my coupe that i want to swap out for a nailhead. I think im going to keep this one simple,a V8 a mild chop and a shortend bed with fenders.
    Any colors or sugestions are always welcomed.Just looking for ideas to keep me motivated.
    Thanks hamb for feeding the addiction.:)

Attached Files:

2. You call Lake placid to Lond Island a long ways.....You should live here in Texas
    Please dont screw up the bed on it either...My 2c

3. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

nice find! just drop it off at my place while you're waiting to figure out what to do with it, lol, i'll drive it for a 'season'!

4. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Dude! sweet find, great condition.

5. Black Primer

Black Primer

Wow, what a gem! I'd seriously think restoration, or near stock. It looks like a surviver.

6. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

a little souped uo flatty and drive it.

7. fef100

fef100

I agree, the bed looks right as is. If it were mine I would clean it up and paint it the same green, drop it, stuff the flathead in and have fun.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

new flattie, juice the brakes, drop the axle and twice the pipes. done. mebbe a new seat cover and vacuum out the cat turds.

9. x2

IF it were mine ( I wish) I,d have a real problem doing anything more than the aforementioned, and then driving the hell out of it. A true survivor that needs carefully bringing back to life, preserving and then enjoying for years.

Your call, have fun.

10. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Very nice find, why not keep the stock appearance and build the B motor.

How about making it look like this;

Attached Files:

• c5_3.jpg
      c5_3.jpg
      File size:
      88.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Enjoy it ,,very nice find

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

"looking for idea to keep me motivated" are you kidding.and it's even got doors!!!!!!!

13. All the above is good advice. I wouldn't be choppin' it or puttin' a bellybutton motor in it. I'd just go out and pet it every now and then and talk sweet to it until all that snow is gone ...

14. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

No chop, keep the bed as-is. I think that one deserves to just stay a good 'ol truck.

15. Retired

Retired

I agree.

Something like this is damn hard to find anymore.

I'm a street rodder at hart and I've done my share of chopping and channeling, but none of them were in this good a shape to start with.

16. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wow, thats cool, I want it!

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Agreed. Very nice truck as it is. You park that near any other classics and crowds will gather around it.

18. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Step away from the sawzall.

19. X100!!!!!!:eek:

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

RAT ROD! Skulls, iron crosses, spider webs, street signs, welded chain, a fat chick and an upright bass. Awesome!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  21. screwball

screwball

ah screw it cut it up. anyone can build a stocker. Some how I think I got on the a.a.c.a. site

22. Got a damn heavy axle in it too! Got any engine pics??
    I'd leave it as-is, or at least go for a resto. Too many of those trucks get cut up, I'd leave it pretty stock. Loose the turn signals :D

23. Were not talkin about a 60 Starliner Kirk!!!! ;)

24. biscaynes

biscaynes

agreed!!!!!!! :cool:

25. What's the white stuff all over???
    I'd suggest getting rid of the white stuff, make it run and drive the snot out of it!

26. I agree with most of the posts. Just too good and complete to cut up. Looks like the truck deserves to be kept stock or near it. If you just gotta.........I have a cab (no doors) a pretty sad bed and a model a frame & axles you can cut up to your hearts desire...........I've even got a couple of front axles and some other stuff. I know, why don't I do it myself? Well, I also have this 1918 Dodge roadster that is calling my name and in line after my 52 Cheby truck.

27. jangleguy

jangleguy

Lose white stuff and a few inches of bed - it's YOUR truck now, right? Congrats, Mr. Lucky!

28. swimeasy

swimeasy

I am in the "no cut" club, it's to nice and those cabs are pretty small to start with!!

29. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Waaaaay to nice to cut up. Totally agree with the others here. Juice it, stuff it, drop it, and drive it. End of story!

The patina looks perfect!

30. I love chopped trucks and short beds, but this one needs to be left alone.
    My 2 cents.
    George