Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ebert

Ebert

WAY cool, J-Bird. I encourage you to read all of the posts on this thread...I have learned a TON!!! Bitchin' ride and car!
    Ebert

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Sprint4j, I love your signature. Reminds me of a young kid we had driving in our Pure Street class at Corbin (now has moved on to Late Model) about five years back. He put a decal in his back window that said, "All I want to be is as fast as my dad thinks he is."

3. indybigjohn , I might have to highjack that one and give mine to my Dad. He's pushin 78 and getin Faster everyYear .
    LOL!!

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Welcome Mike, good to have another westener here. Quite a impressive stable you have, looking forward to more pics and history.

5. Here is a flyer I got from Jerry Castor this morning. This is a cool vintage show in Columbus, Indiana. Lots of vintage cars and plenty of bench racing. I have been there twice and am going again this year.
    HG ;)

Attached Files:

6. I see after posting some of the info is not all that clear on the flyer. If one needs any addition info call Jerry at 812.592.5010. They are always looking for vintage cars to display. Bring your old photo albums to view, poster , etc.
    It is located at the Bartholomew County fairgrounds on Ind. St Rd. 11 two miles south of Ind St Rd 46.
    HG

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Any guesses on who the "Hometown Hero" is gonna be, Gene? Kerry Norris, maybe?

8. Rotta14

Rotta14

Mike,

As I best recall, the repro #10 was advertised for sale. back around
    late 2004, or early 2005, in VOR. It really took my fancy then, and I was
    sorry to have missed out on it.

If the car came down here I have not heard of it. But cars enter private collections, and we never see them sometimes. I will ask around neverthe less, and keep you posted.

Bob O.

9. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Fwiw: Courtesy Bill Holloway Racing Histroy site:
    http://hollowayracing2.homestead.com/page1.html
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1960's- Bill driving a sprinter owned by Gene Besecker from Greenville, OH. Prior to Gene owning this car Bob Swiegert was killed at Salem and Stan Bohman was killed at the Terre Haute Action track in this same car.
    [/FONT]​

10. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Gene Besecker was my cousin and I remember this car when I was hanging out at his shop. That car had quite an infamous history.... wow! Thanks Carl! This car is about halfway down page 3 on the Holloway web site listed above.

http://www.teambesecker.com/vintagebesecker.html
    Here are pix of the cars Gene owned during the 60s and 70s. Gene was a great guy and we always had fun racing with him. Between working on the IDDINGS#93 and Gene's cars, I got a purty good racing education, starting at the top in 1962, with USAC, when I was 13 years old. Gene and my hometown of Greenville Ohio, was 15 miles S of Eldora, 20 miles E of Winchester, 25 miles SW of New Bremen and 25 miles NW of Dayton Speedway..... Talk about growing up in the middle of the action!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  11. Check out the dual wheels on the trailer. The Riverside Tire Special.
    HG

Attached Files:

12. racer5c

racer5c

13. the shadow

the shadow

RACER5C, I can't believe the condition of that track, I'd love to see that revived!

Paul

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

15. And I used to think Winchester was scary !! :)

16. Racer12

Racer12

17. Spike, regarding your ex-Peters/Chitwood car, how about some info as to when & where you got it, condition, etc. along with any history from the 1940's till your purchase. The current blue color is from what period? I have a picture of the car when owned by M. Light. Car is 2 toned #9. If & when you have the time, I would enjoy the info. ML9.

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Roy, thanks for the link. That place is spectacular!!!

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I saw that in those slides gene, and was trying to figure out if those were Firestone Ribbs on the trailer.. It was too small in the slide, but here the inner one looks like it.

Neat!

Have at posting the rest of those slides.. I wanna see the Jungle Park Pit shot on here! Big!
    :eek:

JD.

---------------- ROY!

That race tarck is KILLER!!

Kill the weeds, lets go racing!!

20. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Racer5c
    I would sure like to get on that track for about 3 1/2 days wouldn't you, that place could make a guy get sick in his pants

"Doc" Parsons

21. lloyd roberts

lloyd roberts

I been lurking on this site for sometime, but the news of Chuck Mauro's death has prompted me to get off my bum and contribute.
    My father bought a 1980 Edmunds VW out of a barn in Kansas last year which was still signwritten as Chuck's car. Dad was in Colarado late in the year and got to talk to Chuck and some of the other people involved with the car. The history of where this particular car fits in is a bit scratchy but Chuck was still able to recall a fair bit.
    Dad has spoken to him several times since and was hoping to send him pictures of the finished car this week, and was saddened by the news.
    On the same trip he caught up with an old family friend, Crocky Wright whose health has deteriorated in recent times I was wondering if anyone here had had any recent news, last I heard he had been moved to a nursing home. I stayed with Crocky back in 1989? I remember he introduced to a midget driver called Roy C. and also took me to watch some "kid" called Tony Stewart race a TQ.
    Any info on either Chuck's car or Crocky would be greatly appreciated.

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Last I heard, Crocky was still kickin'. He had a spell in the hospital just before the motorcycle race at IMS, and was itching to get out so he could be there. Sounded great when I talked to him on the phone. I'm sure Roy, Gene, or somebody else still in the Indy area can tell you more.

23. Cars on Trailers, another part of the adventure of racing.
    These are photos of Roy Hamilton's rigs
    crop.jpg

Roy.jpg

trailer shots 1.jpg

trailer shots.jpg

Roy hamilton trailer 1.jpg

Roy hamilton trailer2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  25. Here are a couple of scans from negatives that Joshua set me up with. This is 1940 Jungle Park speedway near Rockville, Indiana.HG ;)

Attached Files:

26. Love the white pants and pith helmets ! :)

Whites were required at our local bullring when I started in '64.

27. Man I like those Jungle park pics

these are supposed to be Jungle park--not sure.
    jungle park timing stand.jpg

Where.jpg

-1.jpg

28. My two cents say the top two are not. The bottom one sure looks like it.
    That and a quarter will get you a cold cup of coffee....
    HG

29. Here's a tighter shot of the turn four of Jungle Park. Notice the staggered roof on the grandstad. Coming off turn four there, required one to race downhill on the straight and go into turn one hauling ass. Some didn't quite perform that task.....
    HG ;)

Attached Files: