Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 merc turnpike

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edselfish, Dec 29, 2008.

1. An old gent at a swap meet told me a few years ago that the quad headlights were a rare option on 57's. I figured he knew as he had 3 pairs of quads for sale for 57's, and nothing but 57-59 merc parts at his booth.

2. edselfish

edselfish

feder,will get some shots over the weekend.

3. edselfish

edselfish

i like the quads and am glad thats the way this one is.just my opinion but the single lights give it a ''surprised'' high eyebrow look.

4. edselfish

edselfish

$400 for a ragtop.thats got to hurt now but its all relevant i suppose.still,we all seemed to have that kind of money so to speak and it didnt hurt as much as it seems to now.

5. As i know mr "EdselFish",

He as we say down under."as happy as a pig in shit".

We have a drive-in night coming up so you better be bringing that TurnPike with Ya!, Oh a find a date. Its the last working Drive-in in South Australia all the rest are all gone. It sucks.

Any way i digress take good care of that car young man.:)

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a beautiful car. Huge congrats on getting it on the road. Enjoy the ride.

7. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

That car is KILLER!!! You are a fortunate guy.

8. sololobo

sololobo

The coolest Turnpike I have ever seen. What a cool mild custom treatment, great stance, that baby is a moving sculpture. In kultulz post the picture of the lone dual headlights is a cool tiki statue--can you see it? If you click on the photos and get a full screen picture you can really see all the great details. Even the great front end shot has a large tiki staring at you--to awesome! Thanks for sharing that ultra rare beauty with us all!~Sololobo~

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

that car is sick!! love them big 'ol mercs!

10. edselfish

edselfish

thanks man.will be putting up a few photos of the dash and interior tomorrow.
    it seems to have had a very mild work over in the 80's before going into 20 year storage.slight rake at the back,an 80's interior which doesnt seem out of place for the car and the glasspacks sound great too.the chrome work has really held up well after giving it all a good polish.

11. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Congrats...I remember when you first got it..It looks beautiful...

12. Wow!!!! that is absolutely beautiful!!!! I am SO jealous!!!!!

13. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I like the concept car.

[​IMG]

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Doesn't by any chance have the transmission range buttons in the center hub of the steering? I thought that Merc did this on their top of the line cars those years.

15. No. That was the EDSEL TELE-TOUCH, 1958 only. LINC had a prototype but no production. MERC had the push button control on the dash (57-58).

Attached Files:

16. That is one cool ride. I'm not a Continental Kit guy but if there was ever a car made for one that is it!

17. edselfish

edselfish

thanks j, its taken a while but finally!!!.now just want to tidy up a few more things to get all working well so i can enjoy it.a few small simple bolt on ''neat things'' but nothing major for this one.

18. edselfish

edselfish

yea you are right.since it was already there,it kind of jumps right out at you and looks the part.probably would never consider putting one on if it wasnt there.

not sure if you know anything about connie kits but mine doesnt stay in position when it is swung open to the side.im not sure if it works on a counter balance system that keeps it in place when open or if i am missing some bracket to hold it in place when open.there is another guy over here that has a 57 retract with a kit so will need to check that out next time i see it.

19. 57Montclair

57Montclair
    from Oklahoma

I'd like to find connie kit for mine hoping to have mine up and going soon. Nice merc now really start enjoying it

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Notice how the continental kit resembles this 64 thunderbird and some later mercury products..................................... Nice car:cool:

Attached Files:

21. edselfish

edselfish

d2,push button controls on the dash and other dash photos of the factory tacho etc.

Attached Files:

22. MERC Descriptive Literature-

Attached Files:

23. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Hey I was close, just had to move from the steering wheel to the dashboard.:cool: