Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find minus the barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impalabuilder, Dec 11, 2008.

1. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

So I decide to visit my Dad's place in the Adirondacks for a long weekend of skiing, snowmobiling, hiking (with snowshoes).

Having a great time, blah blah, 2nd to last day we decide to blaze a trail through the north side of the property towards the river so we can clear it out in the summer. Keep in mind they've owned this land for about 5 years now...we get about 100ft from the river and my buddy says, "is that a vehicle?" now we already had issues with the compass earlier in the day and I'm thinking that we ended up in someone's driveway. I go to look at what he's pointing at and I see an early 30's shaped windshield opening peaking out of a mound of snow. Come to find out later that it's a 33-34 Dodge truck cab. Most likely an old 1 1/2 ton logging truck. It's got all the handles including the spotlight on the roof and some other bracket on the passenger's side that I can't figure out. Can't remember if it has a rear glass opening or not. I think it does not.

No visible roads nearby, no houses, just trees all around. To make a long story short, My summer plans include a chainsaw, my pickup, ratchet straps, and a search for some historical documents...
    unfortunately we didn't have a camera, but I'm going back in January...so for now here is a picture of a body shop that a coworkers family worked out of in Asbury Park, NJ:

Attached Files:

2. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

3. Suicide doors? would be '33-'35 neat find, whatever,

4. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

5. Neat trucks, we have oddball ones like that out here in the Hills. Shows how fast Mother Nature can can reclaim her turf.

6. nice find! post pics when ya get it sounds cool.

7. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

Yes both suicide doors are there and in decent shape...forgot to mention that...it's what helped me zero in on exactly what it was. At the time I didn't know if it was Ford, Chevy, what...

definitely going to be posting pics next month. I would have waited till then to post but I'm finding it hard not to tell everyone I run into...

8. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Why is it all I ever find in abandoned barns is abandoned cow dung?

9. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

is it just me or do all the people in the pics look like midgets next to those cars??

10. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Elves.

Merry Christmas.

:D

11. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

The adirondack park in NY has a few hidden treasures left by the loggers. I know where there is a 38 ford coupe about eight miles in behind Roundtop mountain. Missing the engine. My dad says they probably blew an engine in a loaded log truck so they drove this ford back in and swapped out the engine. One of these these days I will get back there again and look around for the blown up flatty.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

sweet find. no rear window? anyone got pics of a cab like that? that'd be something new to me, and neat to see that.

13. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

Looks like there is a rear window after all. I remember looking at it from a distance and not seeing a window opening. While I'm here, I might as well ask, what's the legal way to obtain a title in NJ for this? Assuming there is a frame to go with it. Do I need to get it running first?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  14. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

looks like a few people used it for target practice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  15. old1946truck

old1946truck

Is that a truck cab with suicide doors ?

16. It is a 33-35 dodge truck and yes they all had suicide doors

17. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

what a cool find , cold even since its snow bound , if you build it please post some more pictures

18. 2-TONED

2-TONED

the grill & hood, etc... is there buried in the snow you will find it in the spring.
    GREAT FIND! those trucks are GOOOOOD!

19. RichG

RichG

The only thing I ever found abandoned in a barn was me and a shovel.:rolleyes:

What a cool find! Now all you have to do is be patient...

20. bluestang67

bluestang67

Great body shop pic there . The guy on the right must be the painter since he is holding the gallon can and the brush .

Also great find back in the woods bet there is some history with it being left there .

21. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

22. What a great find, looks like you found a camera. The work to get it out of there will be worth the trouble.

23. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

hell you have it half dug out already, drag the hot wrench out and cut off the frame if it has one, then drag it back with a sled

24. My thought exactly. No one is the wiser.......

25. Thumper

Thumper

What the hell is all that white shit... :eek: !!!

26. Concrete B

Concrete B

Coke addict heaven man...

27. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

I sure hope so. My dad tells me that the adjoining property holds a frame with running boards. Hopefully I'll find it somewhere. I'll be doing a lot of hiking this summer with the dog. My wife will join me too if I say I'm looking for the rare coo coo weasel or something. I'm on the look out right now for a snowmobile trailer. If I keep watching the weather and time it right, the hardest part would be loading it up on the trailer. There's about 4 ft. of snow cover right now...wait for a warm spell followed by cold and it will be like towing on bumpy pavement.

28. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

strap 2 toboggins together and drag the cab back and throw in the back of a truck

29. jcs64

jcs64

huh, abandoned '30's mopars in the Adirondacks?
    Sounds familiar!
    Ha, I pulled this '34 out 2 years ago. It took me a couple weekends to get it out of there but now its home. I left the decapitated 4 door sitting there for someone else to find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Title in NJ??? Dont even bother with the DMV, I built a Model A coupe and just bought a 31 Chevy tudor title for $50 bucks...when I went to the DMV, the girl said, "They spelled 2-door eird back then." I said yea...its a black 2 DOOR..hahaha if you are hell bent on getting a title for that cab, frame, they make you jump thru hoops...you gotta put ads in newpapers asking f anyone owns it or knows the owner...its nuts!! I would just search on the HAMB for a nice "historical document" for sale cheap...DONE!