Register now to get rid of these ads!

buick finned drums on a 9 inch ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Dec 30, 2008.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

does anyone know if buick finned drums can be adapted to a ford 9 inch rear end? thanks in advance.

2. So-Cal make a cover that looks like a buick drum and slips over your existing Ford brake drum. you do know that the buick drum is for 12" brakes and your 9" rear probably has 11"...some also were 10"

3. Showboatsix

Showboatsix

Contact Lonie at his website, he used the Buick fined drums on the RUNAMUCKA build.

On a nine inch Ford and also on the front.

http://www.lonniesplace.com/specialtyproducts/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. drumyn29

drumyn29

i just spoke with lonnie, thank you.

5. triton6972

triton6972

Hate to bring up an old thread. Im looking to do the same and I was curious if you found out the solution.

6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Speak with Lonnie......................:eek: :D

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I did that setup using '60 buick backing plates, redrill the 4 mounting holes. THe brake offset on mine was 2.250, and the buick is 1 7/8. I had the ford axle bearing shoulder surface machined to move the axle inward. Then I had the axles cut to lenght and resplined.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am about to try to work this one out too. I have a 9" with a 2-1/2" brake offset.

It appears, from my measurements, that a custom machined spacer that functions as the axle bearing retainer, and the backing plate center register, will allow Ford F350 12" x 2-1/2" brake assemblies, circa 1985, from a Dana 70.

If this works, I will do a tech post on it.

9. yea they can, use a rear backing plate from say a '62 Buick that will give you an E brake. You have to build a combination bearing retainer stand out to mount the backing plate then the drum or the axle need to be the proper bolt patern to match. I'm setting the rear for my stude up that way.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Mr. Ford did this on his Coupe. He used Wilson Backing plates and had custom axles made. You would need a driveshaft mounted e brake with those.

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

All I can tell you for sure is that I know this is possible. About 20 years ago I was going to do it, had it all figured out, then decided to go with discs. Sorry I don't remember the details anymore. I still have the pieces somewhere. As I recall a spacer was going to be needed for the(Ford? or Buick?) backing plate.

12. triton6972

triton6972

Well I finally got ahold of Lonnie. He said he used the rear backing plates of a 60's Buick with 12" brakes. He welded up the holes and re-drilled them to the ford flange pattern. He said that the 12" Buick backing plate have the same center hole size as certain 9 inches. Also he mentioned that the drum will need to be machined on the lip a bit. Lonnie said it was pretty easy to do. Gonna give it a try next week.

13. hemidevin

hemidevin

I'm about to try the same with mid-70's Buick backing plates on a old-style big bearing Ford 9" . Any advice of experience would be appreciated!

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think all the info you need is in post 12. The 12 inch Buick rear backing plates will need to be redrilled and probably welded up to match the Ford axle housing flange. You may or may not need to space them out so that the shoes hit the drum right.

I've been lucky enough to be able to see Lonnie's latest creations for himself and his customers for the past 30 years or so and he is pretty crafty at making things that seem complicated simple.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd would have to dig up the issue, but American Rodder did an article on this in the mid nineties that was pretty detailed. I'll look at the collection later and see what I can find.

16. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Wilson Welding makes a backing plate for the Fords that take the Buick hardware. My rear end was set up by Dutchman in this manner. Also Dutchman redrills backing plates. This is not and ad for either, just more information for you to store. Yes I have Buick drums all the way around and I am using Wilson Welding parts. I am sure that others are just as good and effective. Lots of great talent around here. Find what suits you best and good luck.

17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Yes, I did install the 62 Buick 12 inch front drums on the rear of my 9 inch axle ends. I am using a QC but the process is the same. Weld up the holes in the Buick backing plate, use the large bearing end as a jig and redrill to fit the 9 inch housing ends. I also had Ductchman make the axles for the set up but I used a 2 3/8 offset and they worked fine. You will need to turn the large lip off the backing plate. Here are some a photos.

Dutchman has the specifications if you are unsure of what you need. I did the whole set up in my garage but the axles I had to have them do. Pricey $$$.

Attached Files: