Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thought I'd post a recent commission that I did for a member of the Pfrommer family.
    Joel
    www.JFNStudios.net

Attached Files:

2. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

After this and the Ruby picture I vote for a " Old race car on trailer" picture thread. That one could also include "On the road with old race car" stories also. Especially with old solid axle trailers like this one. OB

3. How about this one. My mom and dad coming to California in 1940. They towed his home built midget behind his '39 convertible. Came to check Out the So Cal racing scene, and never went back home to Nebraska.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks 37KID tried that with no luck..tried Dan Olson too. Now I'm stumped. "That looks like the pan Dan Price makes in Ohio. Google search should turn up his website"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

There have been a lot of Trailer pics on this thread. They are among my favorite.

Here is THREE of the most famous cars of all time on OPEN TRAILERS!

(these have been posted before)

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hey All you INDY guys.. About Three or Four months ago the car in the picture below was sold on Ebay to a nice Gentleman in Florida.

[​IMG]

It was sold with this Non-cage champ car frame.

[​IMG]

This car sold about 5 miles from my shop. I tried to buy the Frame out of the deal but was unsuccesful. When it sold, I contacted the buyer. He was nice, but said his buddy "thought he might want the frame to do something with" I figured the car and frame went to Florida and was long gone. BUT!! The #16 car was spotted sitting in a drive way, outside with a cover over it by IRP.
    My question is, WHo has it or is storing it, and is the frame there.. I'd REALLY like to buy that frame.

Any info would be great!

Thanks.

JD

7. Ebert

Ebert

And a few from my collection....some may have been posted here.

Ebert

Attached Files:

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I was able to put a day in on the Bowles Ranger Friday. Took these with my phone, so they are kinda fuzzy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..the original.

[​IMG]

JD

9. Ebert

Ebert

Holy shit, Josh!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!

10. butch27

butch27

Corngrower: Can you put up a clearer shot of the full chassis? Just beautiful!

11. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Josh..Looks awsome. Almost too pretty to run.

12. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Great trailer pictures guys! All I have that I'm able to post is one of my Malloy on the trailer. I need to get a scanner or somthing I guess. Keep em coming. OB

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

14. Here are a couple from way back, the color photo is Jim Hines with Virgil Welchs Buick powered midget with little Ted Hines.
    The second shot is of the very first Midget Jim Hines ever drove.

To Joshua, 2008 my....... when are you going to pay me the $200.00 I loaned you to get out of jail?
    HG :D:D:D

Attached Files:

15. racer5c

racer5c

16. AF/X

AF/X

I WENT TO MY FIRST CIRCLE TRACK EVENT OF ANY KIND TODAY THE ROGER MCCLUSKEY CLASSIC IN TUCSON, AZ.
    IT WAS SO AWESOME! COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW FAST THOSE SPRINT CARS ARE ON THAT OLD POTHOLED, PITTED, COUGED, ROUGH, MUDDY ETC.... DIRT TRACK:eek:

I HAVE ONLY BEEN TO DRAG RACING EVENTS BEFORE TODAY.
    I HAVE 2 OLD RACE CARS (1 MIDGET AND 1 SPRINT) THAT I JUST BOUGHT, AND AFTER TODAY I HAVE A MUCH GREATER APPRECIATION FOR WHAT I HAVE.

I WILL RESTORE THEM AND TAKE THEM TO SHOWS SO OTHER FANS CAN SEE AND APPRECIATE THEM AS MUCH AS I DO.

I WAS TOTALY BLOWN AWAY TODAY! AWESOME. I HAVE A COUPLE PICTURES OF TODAY BUT DON'T WANT TO POST THEM ON THIS THREAD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT 69 OR OLDER. BUT THEY ARE COOL.

I MAY GET ME A CAR AFTER TODAY AND START RACING!

17. TDC

TDC

Not a trailer pic, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Notice the plywood wheels. That way it fit between the bed rails.

Josh

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Your screwed now... I can see that since your typing in all caps that you are officially addicted to circle track and hopefully open wheel racing...
    Fenders make me itch :)... Now go take a couple aspirin gently turn off the caps lock on your kybd and start planning the builds on your cars...
    Dave

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

20. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Tell Mark to bring that Phucker to the Reunion in June :D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  21. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I don't know if this is your Dad in the car but picture was taken at Monroe WA in the mid 60's. Sorry it took so long to find it. OB

Attached Files:

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Josh, Watson's house used to be just before the traffic light at Country Club Rd. and Crawfordsville, just before Clermont. Big garage in the back.

23. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

This is the Jimmy Collier Ranger roadster as raced in appox '64. Compared with the museum photo it looks like a lot of stuff was changed in the meantime. Forgive the pictures of photo's but I wanted to get them in. How ARE you guys manageing the OLD photos? Do you have scanners or did you get them transfered somehow or what.

Attached Files:

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I use a Epson 4490 scanner that I got a Walmart for around a $150, which I really like, but they have others for much less.

25. racer5c

racer5c

wasn't Watsons house just his shop is there He lives in Speedway, I think I know who has that car i will try to drive by there before I go to work tonight

26. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Rootie, great shot of the #32 car... any history? I don't know who it is. I do know what those knobby tires can do though; I was almost knocked out when a dirt clod the size of two fists came zinging through the fence and hit me in the side of the head [the side that wasn't paying attention!]
    PK

Attached Files:

27. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I've got a picture of me running a winged dirt midget about 7 years ago, I was trying out a new setup in the car to run the high line around the track and it was working GOOD. car was just grooving. had my engine builder (mike seymour, Boston louie's son) watching from the fence on turn three, right where I was setting the car into the turn. There was an 8-9 year old kid standing next to him LOVING the roar of the motor and spray of the dirt every time I went around. UNTIL one time I kicked up a rock and caught him square in his Wee-wee. My motor builder said the poor kid went down like a sack of potatoes

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Harley Haines Sr. with the McCurdy Offy at the 1955 Iowa state fair.

That pic is from the same article that I posted about, in reference to the Dreyer sprint for mlight9. Haines was a long time builder/wrench out of Ohio. Here it is in action:

Attached Files:

29. RangerGuy

RangerGuy
    from Iowa

Tickles me pink that you're getting to spend time on the Ranger. They're such a part of racing history, and there are so few examples around. Having one of the last of the running Rangers makes it pretty special that someone is devoting time to build another example of such a famous car. Good luck and keep up the good work. Any thing I can do to help, let me know.
    Scott

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Roy. I thought it was also his house.