Register now to get rid of these ads!

is unchopped as cool as chopped???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

im so used to seein every car and truck chopped that when i see one unchopped, they are lookin just as cool if not cooler. anybody agree or am i losin my mind?

LOU WELLS and bowie like this.
  2. John Denich

John Denich

Yup I like them un chopped here is a pic of my un chopped Chevy!

Attached Files:

Ranchero59 and Country Joe like this.
  3. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I hope so cause this 5W is staying uncut ...... unless for this year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. skwurl

skwurl

I like em both.

5. everything I have is chopped (3) but I don't think it raises the cool factor. I just want to be different like everyone else. it just a way to personalize my rides. no different than paint or wheels or bolting parts

6. turdytoo

turdytoo

This calls for an "amen brother". I personally like some cars either way and some one way better than others. Chopping a car just because everyone else does is your thing , do it. I personally like '32s chopped or channeled but not both (sorry Casey).

Attached Files:

bowie likes this.
  7. At 6'4" and having owned 2 chopped cars in the past I think I will leave the tops at the standard height from now on! HRP

8. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I think unchopped is COOL, But I'm almost certain mine is goin' to get a 3'' chop.I wasn't goin' to but I've seen an ''A'' that sits about the same as mine that had a 3'' chop and the proportions looked better to me.Not Cooler just better proportions in my opinion.
    Later 40's, 50's and 60's stuff is I think down to personal taste!What ever ROCKS your World!:DI like both, but I'm goin' chopped!

Not Really to much of the Heavy chop on early stuff, unless it's a Lakes Coupe or a Taildragger!

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'm with you...especially when the vast majority of chops don't seem to really improve the overall lines of the car. If anything they detract from the overall styling by drawing attention to the roofline...often to the detrement of the whole.

I've seen some really nice 1" and 2" chops that do improve the lines, however, without compromising the overall stock look. More like what the stylists intended.

I'm an old fart, and remember when "hardtops" were first introduced. These almost always had a top 1" to 2" lower than that of the comparable sedan. They looked 100% better, but were popular only with younger, more progressive buyers...for a very solid reason:

In the days pre-1960 or so, hats were considered a necessary part of a "proper" person's wardrobe, both men and women. Automobile roofs were very often raised by the engineers from what the stylists envisioned to accomodate a tall driver's hat. Lots more interior room, but at the expense of the lines of the car. Most production cars were a compromise of the two...

A slight chop takes the "frumpyness" out of these early compromise body styles and makes 'em sleek like the hardtops of the same era. The ball caps of today don't require the extra headroom anyways...

My $.02

Hemi Joel likes this.
  10. Depends on the car.
    Examples:
    I think 32 3w coupes and 36 3w coupes are beautiful just the way they are.
    39 and 40 Mercury coupes MUST be chopped.

11. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

i like em both ways...

12. Cshabang

Cshabang

it depends for me I guess...I like heavy chopped hot rods (ala rolling bones, etc) but I don't like heavily chopped customs..in fact, one of my favorite cars is a shoebox ford sedan with no chop, just layed out...hahah

13. I like them both ways also. However i plan to leave mine unchopped for now. I want to get it to function and have fun with it then we'll see.
    Also , though I am not a purist , I would feel quilty chopping a car that was ac complete and usable. Chopping some rusting hulk and bringing it back to life is GREAT. I figure if everone ends up chopped then we would have lost that nostalgia we had with the old cars. Just me

Attached Files:

14. moldyoldy

moldyoldy

I'll stick with un-chopped. What really does it for me is the resto-rod...looks bone stock until you pop the hood. Chopping just seems to wreck the proportions - look at the new Chrysler 300....if only they made the roof a little higher, or the windows a little lower, there's just something going on there that ain't right!

15. 41woodie

41woodie

Chopped is pretty cool unless your talking about a 37 to 40 Ford Coupe. Chopping one of those should be considered a capital offense.

i.rant likes this.
  16. kman1932

kman1932

They're both cool. The bottom line is do what you want. It is your car. Do it the way you like it, not what someone else likes. Don't compromise your build plan. You are the only one you have to please. If you don't make the car the way that you really want it you won't be happy with it in the end.

17. I've seen some bad chops,so I guess unchopped isn't too bad....:)

18. You decide! I love Buggers '50 Merc,and if mine looked like his when slddnmatt found it,I would have left it un-chopped. I just took it the direction it was already headed. I will have a stock,un-chopped,'49 some day....and it will stay that way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mow too much

mow too much

My vote is for unchopped, but hey thats just me.

20. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Well, I'm leaving my Plymouth's roofline stock, it's a 4 door, and I'm going to get a lot of shit for it. But what if I want to wear a hat? ;) I like them both ways, but I'm inclined to leave stuff alone.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Unfortunately, most guys (yes, even a lot on here) seem to think that EVERY car has to be chopped...and an overchop in fact, ruins the car.

Chops, many years ago, were designed to "cheat" the wind...not improve the look..."builders," and I use that term loosely, of today, tend to think it 'improves' the look of any car...most cars are better left unchopped...

R-

22. titus

titus

I like a little bit of everything, chopped and unchopped.

but i do think nowadays cars are more overchopped lately.

jeff

23. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I like them both ways,some cars look out of proportion chopped,some look awesome.The word you use COOL is a personal preference in what you like. A bad chop job or too much chop can ruin a car but a car that looks like it slips through the wind just looks ( COOL )to me.

24. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

It totally depends on what you want to do--and that's why we're all into this. Otherwise, we'd just drive Saturns or Altimas or ... Hummers, right?

This is all about what YOU want your car to look like--not what anyone else thinks. Sure, it's nice when some guy cuts you and your wife off in your '63 1/2 Falcon hardtop (true story) to say "Hey, man, that's a bad motherfucker!"

But that ain't really why we do this. We do it because we think we're cool--and that's what matters.

Me, I finally have a '49 Ford Club Coupe--and I dig it because I love the way the roof looks, and I don't think it needs a chop. And that's why I bought it.

But, because it's a body and a frame--still--all my buddies are telling me to just whack it. Never mind that'll add another two years on the project, and just totally fuck everything up now. Just, you know, chop it. No problem. How hard could it be?

I say, fuck that. It's staying tall and bubbly, 'cause that's the way I think they look good. (See Goulart, the '51 Ford coupe of Leroy.)

And there you go. I'll get off my soapbox now.

25. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Wow I think I could live with Both!

26. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I favor chopped versus un-chopped, but I do like the un-chopped and heavily channeled east coast look on fenderless hot rods. I also prefer a mild chop when it comes to kustoms, but then again...it all depends on the car and the overall look.

27. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

timebomb, you car is the shizznet!
    no need to cut, its sweet.

28. BISHOP

BISHOP

Damn near everything looks better with a good 3-4 inch chop. Thats just me.

29. "EVERYTHING" is a broad word! Not everything looks better chopped,IMO. It depends on what look you want. Custom,Semi-Custom,Mild-Custom,Dry-lakes car,60's Show Rod,Resto-Rod,Drag Car,they all have different looks. Most of my favorite Customs are un-chopped. MOST...not all! Hotrods can go either way. A chopped 32 3w looks just as good as a un-chopped 32 3w.
    The quality of the work has a MAJOR effect on the opinion of the car also.

30. mcisneros

mcisneros

i dont care why they started doing it.... but that chopped merc is definately more sexy than the unchopped one.. and chopped for me is definately a must..