Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

mlight, came across this in Dec. 89 OW. Don't know if it's any help, just FYI.

Attached Files:

2. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Here's a newspaper clipping from the Larry Harrell collection showing Jan Opperman at the old Tampa Fairgrounds for the IMCA Winternationals.
    PK

Attached Files:

3. racer5c

racer5c

4. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

racer5c-
    Were Jimmy and Danny Caruthers your brothers? From other posts i get the idea that you are a Caruthers. If im wrong im sorry.
    I just saw those two race a number of times; they sure stood on the pedal!!

5. jwracer14

jwracer14
    from Illinois

This pic is from the mid 60's at Joliet Stadium. Max Reichenbach was from the Chicago area and built race cars for a number of years. Bill Kreuger was his driver and I believe his son in law. i don't think this is your car but maybe another one they built.

Attached Files:

6. jwracer14

jwracer14
    from Illinois

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

YES!! WOW.

SO I'm guessing you liked this one Roy....

[​IMG]

For those who don't know.. Roy's ol' Man Owned and raced this car at the dry lakes before it was stretched into one of the first Dragters. It was black with a lot of Chrome, and known as the "C&C Special" (I think)

8. ehdubya

ehdubya

Mac did you do those headers? Those tapered bends look nice.

9. Rootie, thanks for the picture. I ran across this one before, it was the Floyd Dreyer history. M. Light did drive this car & later owned it. But I have never read of or seen confirmation of this. Thanks again, ml9.

10. This has got to be one of the best rear engine shots I have seen to date. Actually I'm in love with the girl.

Lloyd Ruby parked outside of a motel somewhere in Milwaukee

[​IMG]

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'm not a rear-engine fan, But that is a killer picture. Love the 62' in the Background.

-------------------------

Check out my new "Signature".. and think about it. IT IS SO TRUE IN RACING!! Put together any two of those three, and you can automaticly rule out the third.. There is just now way to have all three!!:D:D

12. I know this is a bit Off Topic, but..... Went to Ft Wayne last night to get my December fix of open wheel racing. Good show and the Dueces Wild Munchkin slays them again. Not a big Tony Stewart fan, but watching him drive that car.....if you have ever seen a real 110%, just watch. Although their was more than one Munchkin. Cicconi and Fedorchek kept him honest, along with Darland and Stanbrough. The 600 mini sprints put on one heck of a show. I would suggest if you live a reasonable driving distance from Ft Wayne, head that way for a FULL evening of racing. I'll guess we saw at least 50 + races from 1/4 midgets to mod gokarts all the way up to USAC regional midgets that were never boring.
    Give her hell and turn left....
    HG ;)

13. the shadow

the shadow

any one of you guys know how to get in touch with any of the hagerstown speedway old timers? I am looking for old pics of races at the track in 1957. a few years back at the miller motorsports show in ft washington pa the hagerstown booth displayed a large piture board with shots from all era's of racing there. there was one pic of a midget race in '57 ,as the cars came around the first lap, my uncle was on the pole, ronny polis #2 (or may have been #12 that night?). sadly he was killed in that race, anyway the guy at the booth said the pic belonged to one of the old timers down there and we (my family) could get a copy of it some time. well it's been 5 years and we still can't seem to get a copy or an answer to who may have the original. I have called the track and they tell me there are specifif people in charge of the displays and they would know how to obtain a copy but they seem reluctant to get me in touch with them? I'd really like to get a copy of this pic so if any of you guys know any contacts down that neck of the woods could you pass it on.
    I'll post a pic of his car at hatfield speedway so you can see what it looked like.
    thanks!
    Paul
    [​IMG]

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Josh, the new signature is a killer!!! I've got to remember it. Gonna become one of my favorite sayings.

15. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Well said... outstanding!
    PK

16. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

The photo a while back, right before Stewart flying out of the joint was Mario, in the GAPCO 83 jumping up over Chuck Arnold at Allentown, PA.
    Chuck was in the Ankeney Offy, another car way outdated, and in the way.

17. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I do make my own headers, but that particular header came with the engine, which had previously been installed in another Watson roadster replica, and, yes, it is a very nice header.

18. Halibrand Wheel question?
    As you can see by the photo the number 2008 is cast in the wheel. Can someone share with me what the '2008' means. I have owned these since 1995 and they were used then. I really don't know. By the way, they are 15 X 8 wheels.
    HG :confused:

Attached Files:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Probably the part/model # The Q/Cs were listed with a 4 diget no. like that and I think the wheels were also.

Attached Files:

20. mod75

mod75
    from illinois

Hello, looking for some info about the midget here.
    Yes that,s me about 3 i would guess, I,m 61 now.
    It was taken in the Chicago area. Would this be a dirt car or asphalt?
    My last remaining relative thinks they used to race them at the stock yards or in the area. I was thinking santa faey speed way maybe.
    Any info welcome.
    Thank you.

[​IMG]

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's got dirt tires on it, but they raced them on both dirt and asphalt. May have even raced at Soldiers Field in that era, as seen here:
    http://www.auto-history.tv/filmarchive/racing/TQ95NH4B/

Here's a site with a lot of Chicago area racing history, that you may find interesting:
    http://www.kalracing.com/Autoracing/racetracks.htm

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  22. racer5c

racer5c

Yes they raced Midgets at Santa Fe, Joliet, Blue Island, all over really, even soldiers field. Back then there was really not a dirt or pavement car they were run on both, looks like dirt tires on the car in that picture

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Just thought I'd share....Here's a few I picked up recently.

Supposedly taken somewhere in either PA or NJ? Appears to be at a fair of some sort which was a common place for dirt track races.

[​IMG]

24. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Lloyd Ruby parked outside of a motel somewhere in Milwaukee

[​IMG] <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Red Carpet Inn, I even stayed there!

25. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Here is another motel shot. I don't know anything about it but I always loved seeing the sprinters on open trailers heading to the races.
    [​IMG]

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I put that "2008" on a bunch of wheels, rearends, and other parts of mine. It means that you can keep it untill the end of 2008, then you have to give it back to me. You only have a couple days left, or I'm gonna have to start charging you late fee's. Thanks! That goes for all of you!:p

Happy new year!

Joshua Shaw

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Mod75... That's a GREAT picture and story. Thanks for sharing.

J Shaw

28. mod75

mod75
    from illinois

Thank you for the links, lots of good info here.

29. A girl like that COULD get me to shop at 'Bed, Bath, and Beyond'! OUCH!
    The race car would probably be safer.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

That looks like the pan Dan Price makes in Ohio. Google search should turn up his website. :)