Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see your home-made intake manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearstix, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Gearstix

Gearstix

I want to see some home built SBC intakes, post em if you got em.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. Why not just homemade intakes?
    SBC folks usually buy not build

LWB likes this.
  3. Gearstix

Gearstix

There, fixed the title.

4. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Just sold this one..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

Boden, Deuces and LOU WELLS like this.

5. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Hey Duane you always make the coolest manifolds.

Fast Bill likes this.
  6. studeboy

studeboy

Some of the pics I have. Can't remember who the original posts were though.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  7. Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

8. Gearstix

Gearstix

Doesn't the coolant run through the manifold on a SBC? I've never had one so I don't know.
    Neat setups guys though. What carburetors do you run?

9. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Home-brew tunnel ram, 455 Pontiac
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

$995 ouch

Deuces likes this.
  11. Gearstix

Gearstix

I would like to do either a tunnel ram or one like the green manifold above.

I'd like to run a couple carbs, however I don't want to run vintage gear, I'd rather run re-pops and leave the real stuff for you guys who need it, it won't be going in the best car.

12. 72sst

72sst

We got some real talented people on the HAMB

13. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here are Three more..3x2 Red Ram Dodge (HEMI)..3x2 Chrysler 392 (HEMI) and 4x2 Chrysler 394 (HEMI)..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  14. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I have found out over time that homemade intakes don't perform all that well. Yes, they look cool. That's why me and my buddies call them anti-speed parts.. I love the look of a crazy homemade intake though...Jason.

15. Ice man

Ice man

I made this for my 2.5 AMC 4 banger. Iceman

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  16. Just bought this one for my Hopped Up v8-60. :D

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This one I'm doing for a Y-block 292 Ford,with 471,Milled off a stock 2bl too level and added lip for screwing down 1/2in alum plate to mount 471,saftey blow off is made on back side.

Attached Files:

18. [​IMG]

I'll keep the Y-block theme going, with a few I found on the web.
    Sure would like to see more of Dana Barlow's 4-71 intake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  19. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

We're going to start making these with several different tops. Dual quads, 4x2 for 2GCs, 6x2 for Holley 94/Strombergs, 3x2 for Holley 2100's. The 6x2 will be like the Weiand supercharger topper where the carbs are staggered. Don't know the selling price yet.

[​IMG]

20. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

This one was made by my dad, uncle and grand father back in '67 or so. It's sitting on a Packard engine and was made from pieces of a cut-up drive shaft!
    [​IMG]

21. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

That's awesome. Got any more photographs of the car? rare to see a hot rod with a Packard V8

22. Cshabang

Cshabang

seeing as it has carbs, and its "kustom" haha I don't think I'd mind paying that..IF i was a chevy guy...

23. Yeah, any more pics of that Packard powered A. Love the engine set-back and exhaust. H.

24. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

25. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Stock singlebarrel intake with two more carbs added to it on my 292 Chevy motor in my '29 Nash.

I modified the original single carb intake. The 3 monojets are linked with progressive of my own design, bellcranks are configured to bring in the end carbs at 1/3 throttle, then at full travel all are full open, due to the geometry of the 'cranks. Took a while to get that figured out, 'cause I'm not a mathmetician, just a trial and error kind of guy.

Choke is on the center carb. Works great! Starts easy, tunes to perfection, idles excellent. Goes like hell. With dual straights out the side scares little kids and old ladies.

First picture is in progress before I finished the linkage. When I was building it I didn't think to take more pictures. The end carbs are on riser blocks milled to line up with the center one. I detest rubber/plastic hoses, these are steel with brass fittings.

Also, contrary to a lot of myth, I have found that adjusting the idle mixture on all works best for me. Closing off the ends and working only from the middle don't get as smooth an idle. Mabye with more than three it would apply but with three it's easier to tweak them all, gets a lot more consistent and smooth idle. Start off with all butterflys closed down. Crank it up, adjust the speed on the center one. Adjust the mix on center, the ends, come back to center, etc. until it's purring. At that point the speed will need to be tweeked. My logic? For sure on a L6 change in the mix on one end has absolutely no effect on the other end.

last pic is concept, see wood blocks.

'look'? I will alwas prefer something I made myself to something somebody else made...........

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  26. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I was throwing around the idea of Webers on my three deuce manifold for the y-block build.
    I can only imagine the sound that would give the Y-block.

27. jambottle

jambottle

here`s one that used a home made adapter to put 2 carbs on a blower manifold.

Attached Files:

28. jambottle

jambottle

this one was done in the 50`s .it is a cast iron manifold modified by welding plain water pipe to the stock manifold.if you look close you can see the threads on the ends of the pipes.it was done by rossini brothers speed shop in toronto,canada.speed parts were hard to get in canada in the 50`s and this was a solution.it looks like it would work fine and will take the 94`s.the flanges are lined up perfectly.Bruce may have thoughts how this one would work.this one was used on duke deadmans`s flathead dragster before he got the 4x2 manifold.

Attached Files:

29. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Yeah..I guess I shouldn't complain...I'd be embarrased to say what I spent on the 6 duece caddy set up in my avatar

30. jambottle

jambottle

this one was built locally and aparently worked good.it is based on the 49-51 merc aluminun manifold.it takes the newer carbs.i wonder if the wide open chamber below the carb would cause a lean condition to any of the cylinders?Bruce?

Attached Files: