Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show me your breathers!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Y, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Paul Y

Paul Y

First off, Merry Christmas to all of you out there in HAMB Land!

I must have been a good boy this year as Santa has put a nice new shiney pair of High Rise Corvette finned rocker covers under the tree for me, courtesy of Mrs Y.

Now, my small block has a no provision to add oil or indeed breath from anywhere other than the rocker covers.

The new shiney wonderful rocker covers have no holes for such mundane things as adding oil or letting the engine breath, Pah! that sort of thing is for Sissys!!!!!

Problem is I am a Sissy.....

So, Rocker cover breathers. Moon and......... Looking for ideas and comments on what you would possibly use to let some air and oil in.

Would really like to see pictures of how you have mounted your breathers, searching the WWW has proved educational if nothing else...

My current thinking is to place some low boy style breathers on the carb side of the Valve covers either at the front or in the middle.

One I would block off and use for adding oil whilst the one on the side furthest away from the PCV would be vented to the atmosphere.

The covers are designed to have the PCV on the carb side of the covers low down at the rear of the engine so as not to be obtrusive.

I have seen a few pictures where they are on the exhaust side of the cover using a taller breather. This might be a neater idea as if any oil was to be spilled when topping up it would not pool on the inlet.

Anyway, over to you. Lets see those pictures.

P.:D

2. WHAT ? SHOW ME YOUR BREASTS ? Oh breathers. Sorry I got excited.

3. Paul Y

Paul Y

Hell! Its is Christmas you just never know!

P.:D

4. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I dont have a close up shot of just the breather. But You can see it in the photo. I milled off part of the word Corvette just where the breather would mount.

Attached Files:

5. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Here's mine, sorry I don't have a closer pic.
    [​IMG]

6. dla4567

dla4567
    from callery pa

Had the same problem, (didn't want to cut covers).installed pcv in valley cover and ran a line from top of oil pan to a homemade can I mounted by radiator with a breather type cap. works for oil fill and air inlet to engine.

7. spooler41

spooler41

One other plan,You might look at boreing the intake for a old style oil fill/breather tube.
    just a thought,but it might help.

...........Jack

8. 61bone

61bone

Front oil fill and road draft tube soon to be replaced withpcv

Attached Files:

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here is mine.

I took a Empi Breather for a Bug, and welded the holes on the sides shut.
    And drilled new ones on the front, so they were evenly spaced with the one that was already there.

Then I milled the top of the bottom part flush, and I made a gasket to make it seal on the lid.

Then I milled the Empi Logo off, drilled a couple of holes and mounted a small breather on top off that.

I milled a couple of fins off the Vette Valvecovers ( a square of about 1.5" X 1.5" ) drilled holes and mounted the fittings that came with the Empi Breather
    ( all those fittings are not sealed with the O-rings that came with the Empi Breater, but with fiber washers that look a lot older...)

And I welded a small piece of tubing to the filler tube.

All hooked up with the Hoses out of the Empi Kit.

Most people dont realise they are looking at a Aftermarket Volkswagen Part... :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  10. skunx1964

skunx1964

[​IMG]

second from the left. offy breathers mounted on the inside. unfortunately a bolt hole cracked, and i havent swapped the breathers over to my cal customs covers.

11. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

My stock 265 power pack in the 32 5W has the original draft tube instead of sucking fumes back in. No provision for oil fill due to the early staggered valve covers so I remove oil pressure pipe at rear of engine and fill slooowly.

Attached Files:

12. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

13. blown green t

blown green t

My buddy put moon breathers on the outside center of the vette covers. He then drilled a hole in the back center of the intake manifold, installed a valve cover grommet and put a pcv valve in the intake. It has a short hose from the pcv to the back of the carburetor. Looks pretty cool, and you don't even notice the pcv valve with the air filter on.

14. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Take a look in my adds in the classifieds. Vintage style Moon / Almquist breathers. Straights or 45's

~S

Attached Files:

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are 90 degree Moon tight angle breathers. They are made to go on the intake side and tuck up close to the valve cover, but they are just fine on the outside too.

[​IMG]

The only trick is actually getting Moon to ship them. They have about the worst customer service you are gonna find.....But, you knew that already.

-Abone.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I posted these once before but I never get tired of looking at them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

Is that a Stude?

18. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Old cal custom valve overs with Moon type breathers added. Original G.M. filler tube in intake that has the threaded bung for the PCV valve. WORKS GREAT .. NO leaks or Puffing smoke. I made a baffle for inside the valve covers where the beathers mount. Just a thin piece of sheet metal with flat washers between it and the inside of the cover. it is held in place with the two button head screws that hold the breather on. The top of the "baffle plate" has a slight bend in it so it pinches tight against the inside of the cover when all is tightened up. This keeps the oil from running down the valve cover and seeping up inside the breather .

Attached Files:

19. 61bone

61bone

Yes it is 232 ci.

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A-Bomb, where did you get that breather tube & screw on cap? Got a pt.#ber?
    Did the tube have the PVC already or did you add it? Thanks...........

21. I like how Moriarity's Trendero breathes
    [​IMG]

22. Home-Made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Rear axle.)

23. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

brigrat, Go to www.ecklerscorvetteparts...then... C2(1963-67).....then search for "oil filler tube".....A page should come up with several different designs, including one with a threaded bung like mine and also with a hose nipple that you can use an inline pcv with. Mine uses a threaded pcv, but I have a 45 degree fitting to "aim" it more toward the carb fitting. I actually think my tube is for a early chevy II and is slightly taller than the vette one. My cap is an aftermarket chrome item..

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my favorite. I'm guessing that it is an early Moon breather.

Unless you have to add a quart every 1000 miles, it's really not that much trouble to pop the valve cover off for an oil change as long as you have the breathers for your PCV system. They don't have to be the combination breather/oil fill type.

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never thought of using a dummy breater for an oil fill point, I like it. Keep it all nice and clean that would.

26. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Moon.. the cap is removable and doubles as the fill.

Cc

Attached Files:

27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yep, Vette that's where I seen them before. Thanks Lon

28. Paul Y

Paul Y

Guys,

Thanks very much for all the pictures and advice.

Not really made up my mind yet but it looks like I am going to go with the Moon short 45degree on the carb side of the covers, one blocked off and used for oil fill the other for breathing.

As for the PCV I am looking at several options. One is to drill the side of the cover and baffle it, not my favorite route but one that is probably the easiest.

Another option that I am looking at is that the inlet has two drilled and tapped holes into the lifter valley. These are positioned at the rear of the manifold.

My thought is to make an adapter into which I can put a PCV utlilising one of these. Not 100% certain how I am going to do this without it turning into a giant carbuncle but that is all part of the fun of Hot Rodding!!

Keep the suggestions coming, I will update this thread with some picture once I decide upon my chosen path.

Happy New Year to One and All.

P.