Register now to get rid of these ads!

The thrill of finding an old car tucked away for years..but

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kreal, Dec 22, 2008.

1. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

why collect all the euro cars over there...........

2. knucklescars

knucklescars

I found my '62 Impala on Ebay. It was in a barn about 60 miles from where i live. I contacted the seller to ask if i could take a look at the car before i bid. When i arrived, the owner was still at work but his wife was there and let me go over it. I spent over an hour examining the car so that i knew exactly what i was getting into. To my surprise, the lady asked if i wanted to hear it run and take it for a drive! When i returned with the car i must have had a huge shit-eating grin on my face because she told me she hoped that i won the auction. I had not even said i was going to bid. The only person bidding at the time was a man in Kentucky that wanted it for parts and the vintage aftermarket a/c. I sat a talked with her over tea and fresh watermelon for about an hour waiting for her husband to come home. I learned the entire history of the car because it had been in the same family since new. When he called saying he had to work late, i thanked her and left.

I spent the rest of that day and all night researching parts. I even lined up what i could sell to pay for the car if i won. two days later the car was mine for less than what all the old car books say it was worth. I would have paid more than what i won her for even though she barely made the drive home. (the fuel had enough steel it it to me magnetic!)

About your post: You may have come on too strong but, fuck it, i believe you man. What do i have to loose? I know of many places around here with hidden treasure. Just one example would be a junkyard with a pile of sturdy mid-fifties and mid-sixties Caddy coupes and sedans; one 54 with factory spots and Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels. I have lots of picts if anyone is interested enough to PM me.

3. Someone posted pictures on here of an abandoned lot with some super high dollar late '50s Caddy Eldorado ragtops that had been left out to rot, had been vandalized with the windows trashed and parts stolen off them, and I forget what all else - I just remember the red '57 ragtop with the crater-sized hole in the windshield and knowing even in that shitty shape it would still bring ten grand if you showed it to the right people. Was in the midwest somewhere. Seems to me it was mostly Caddy, Packard and Studebaker, there were a couple of Studes that had sat and rotted so long the entire back had collapsed, as the 57-58 cars are prone to do.

Hell, I myself owned a '53 Buick Skylark for a while - a wrecked, rotted piece of crap that I didn't even notice myself until I stopped to tie my boot one day and finally noticed the Skylark emblem on the quarter of what I thought was just a badly mashed '53 Buick...

What kills me is the same guys who complain about people who won't sell anything, also complain about the guys more than happy to sell you something - for what they think is too much money. Everything I own has a price tag on it - some stuff reasonable, some stuff I like, so the price is high - but it's still buyable.

4. old1946truck

old1946truck

Where was this Delorean at? I would just like to get my hands on the flux capacitor out it.

5. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

old1946truck The Delorean is the silver looking sports car in both pictures just to the right of center

6. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

kreal Wheredo you live in the ytown area. I'll bring my spy camera to your next adventure in the spring. There are a lot of old cars tucked away in this area. In other parts of the country people park them out in the fields,but for some reason there are alot of old bldgs. that still have cars in themaround here. Maybe the hoarders don't want them to rust.

7. old1946truck

old1946truck

I know which one it is just havent seen one sitting in a field like that. I'm saprised it hasent already been snached up by a collector.

8. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

"Every young fellow I know who has amassed his hoard had help in some way."

Hey, Petejoe, when I was in my mid to late 20's I had a two car garage full of Indians and HD, and a few orphan oddballs like Flanders, Thor, Excelsior, but mostly Indians. They were 90% 1912-1918 bikes. I had one side of it lined up in two twenty foot tightly spaced rows that consisted of almost every model of Hedstrom Indian produced from '12 to '15, some were duplicates, most were original paint. I brought stuff home by large truckloads in the late '70's to early '80's. The other side was full of later stuff, like Indian 4's, Sport Scouts, Chiefs, etc. I had two '53 Chiefs, a '42 Indian four, etc. There were a few old factory Jap roadracers in the pile, too. It was all my money, and you can guess how little a new teacher made back then. Today that would be a national quality pile of junk worth a million bucks or so. Too bad I got rid of it, eh? :eek: I got as much as $4,000 per bike back then when I sold out. I will say the getting was really good back then.

9. Someone locally had a '63 Ford Country Squire in their driveway, less the motor. This was right along when I needed a home for a 390 in 1978. I kept after the people and they always said "no" it wasn't for sale.

I had a friend who worked for the Town, who got after the property owner having an unregistered car in their driveway. I figured this was good leverage and soon the car would be available.

Wrong! The owner went and got it registered and put plates on it. I looked a couple of times over the years and the tags were always up to date. 20 years later the car was still there, slowly sinking into the driveway. By this time, the car was worth a lot less and I was way past it.

One day, I went by the house and it was gone, the only traces were a ring of rust surrounding the car where it sat. It must have been sold for scrap at best. I wonder what they spent keeping a non-running car insured and plated for 20 plus years.

Bob

10. Kreal,
    I have sat here and read through this whole thread and I have to say I believe what you have said is the truth. As a kid my sister's boyfriend was like you. He was out of his parents house when he was 16 and moved to Mi. He would buy a car, fix it up, and then sale it for a profit. He was buying and selling so many cars that the State of Mi. wanted him to get a used car license. My sister married him and after 10 yrs in Michigan, He moved back to Virginia and started collecting cars and trucks. The last Time I was down south, he had at least 50 cars and trucks sitting down by the creek. They were all run and he put a plate saying"Farm vehicle" so he did not have to put license plates on them.
    And as far as finding valuable cars just sitting around, I walked to school from 1964 to 1968, going past a 1962 Jagaur XKE with the hood open the time. In the 1973 thru 1977 I lived about 1/2 mile from it and it was still sitting there. It was in the backyard of a house that was on the corner of two streets.
    In the late 1970's, I use to go over to my buddy's dad's shop were they repaired diesel trucks. His shop was on Scheafer on the edge of Detroit and River Rouge. Across the street and down two blocks was a 1968 Shelby Mustang that had a blown engine. the guy said he was going to fix it someday, but it sat there until it rusted to nothing worth saving. I went to High School with a guy that owned a Richenbacker. There were only thirteen made. His Grandfather bought it new and owned a car dealer ship in River Rouge that had a ramp to the second floor and that is where it sat through the 1950's and beginning of the1960's when his grandfather died and left it to him.
    I was down in Ohio near Bowling Green on and old dirt road went I went to take a leek. I went about 10' in the field and there was a 1910's looking H-D just rusting away. I when and told the guy I was with what I saw, he looked at it and said it was too dirt to put in his trunk. I went back looking for it with my van and I never could find it again( and no I was not drunk and imagined it).
    I have in the past seen a lot of cars just sitting in the woods in Northern Michigan, so just because some of these guys give you lip, don't worry about it.
    And happy Birthday,
    George

11. Kreal

Kreal

Just stopped home on lunch break from work to find some amusing posts in this thread :rolleyes:

So you think I'm lieing about my age and that I am 70-80yr old man because of the lucky experiences I have had finding valued cars, or my typing abilities, or my home and cars I own? Like I said earlier, I'm not your average 23 year old, but I am 23 and I can assure you that I wouldn't have gotten this far in life being a liar.

Want a picture? Hmm. I'm not too photo savy, especially when it comes to pics of myself. Actually, as you can pretty much see from all of my pictures that taking pictures isn't a big deal for me, and my camera spends more time in the drawer than being used.

I was doing some thinking and came to an interesting conclusion about those who think I registered here to post some BS. Supose some 'kid' came to you and told you he found a Deusenberg in a barn 10 minutes outside of town, and you - - the narrow minded, ignorant, living-in-box person that you are - assume that it is a lie, laugh and shrug it off because you haven't opened your mind to the possibility that perhaps something like that is true and not everyone is out to tell ridiculous lies.

A week goes by and you have completely forgotten about what was told to you. The next day a person like myself who; once I hear about something that sparks my interest I don't sleep until I know the details - stops by the barn, and purchases the car.

That is how things like this happen. I go knocking door to door, scouting - and you sit back and think it is all a joke.

Here is a picture of me last year bringing home my 1959.

[​IMG]

12. It is unusual but entirely possible. When i was his age i had already owned over a 100 vehicles. And i knew where hundreds where locasted. Now i am one of those old guys who dont really want to sell. But i do occasionally. I have about 300 at this time. My wife says it is a tradition My grandfather and my dad hardly ever let anyone look at their junk. I only remember one time that my dad sold a vehicle. He has never sold a tractor or a part that i know of. It was a 50 ford panel flat head 6 three speed. He sold it to a childhood friend of his for $40 in 1958 it ran too. All the rest is still on his farm or he has given it away. I have gotten the lions share of it. I think it is great that in America we have the freedom to do as we wish with our junk. It is too bad that sometimes owners are forced by goverment actions to have to part with their treasures. My great grandfather who was a german his collection was buried in the early 50,s just so the jew junkman would not get it. All i have to say to those who wish to buy is this. Dont bother them if you are not prepared to buy and pay cash at that moment. And be shure and offer more than it is worth. If it is gonna be a bargian most of our type would buy another in a second. I enjoyed this thread.

13. Kreal

Kreal

The truth is completely opposite of that statement. Try being my age and walking into a classic car restoration shop and ask if they might know where I could find a water pump for a 1950 mercedes, or a wheel bearing for a 1940 Mercedes. They are more willing to stand there and judge me, ask me if I am joking around, etc than to say here is where I'd go, or maybe I can help.

One shop owner nearby told me that if I wanted a minute of his time I'd have to prove I owned the car in question, and drive it to him ! How can I drive it to him with a water pump bearing letting loose? Why should I have to prove myself just because I am younger than the average owner of that year of car.

Nearly every time someone comes to my house to pick up car parts and sees one of the garages open they comment on the cars and usually say something along the lines of ' wow your father has nice cars ! ' or, ' whos do these belong to? ' What do you mean whos do they belong to ? ?? At first I got a kick out of every time someone would say that to me, now its getting tiring and I view it as an insult.

If I knew I'd be insulted I wouldn't have signed up here, I get enough of it in real life.

14. Dont worry about it . take it as a complement. stick around and stick up for your self. Show how thick your skin is. You will be a gernade inspector in no time.

15. Kreal

Kreal

I have a fascination with european cars, and how they came to the USA. I am currently awaiting on the owner to apply for a lost title for my next new toy. A right hand drive Jaguar that was purchased and shipped here by BOB HOPE (actor). Of course, I won't count my chickens before they hatch..

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You should be taking this as a compliment regardless.
    Now you may be showing your real age.
    I need to meet you sometime Kreal.
    Your suddenly making me a believer, Stick around we aren't done picking on you yet.

17. bruce hylton

bruce hylton
    from toledo wa

Kreal; I too used to scout for cars and parts. I had about 25 runners before I finished high school. You are well written and do sound more like a writer than a young fella on the hunt. I just this last summer sent a 155 'autos' to the crusher because the price was high and I felt I was running out of time. That makes somewhat over 500 cars and trucks that I have turned into tomorrow's steel supply. Life goes on. I have seen so many different cars over my lifetime that it is hard not to believe you irregardless. I live within a mile of a very large pile of caddy's and the man makes money on line like you would not believe. I have had several hundred autos that I did not scrap also. If you need an odd part, I may be able to locate it in my spare time. 30 nash coupe doors anyone? Or head lights or marker lights for the same. 39 gmc truck upper grill, inner rear view mirror assembly? Odd ball and not so odd taillight lens'. It is all treasure and most I don't want to sell, but I like to trade. Go to I-5, mp 63 and google earth will zoom you in within a mile of that caddy wrecking yard. Just a little north and east of that spot. Keep taking pictures and look for old magazines in those barns, they are fun too. Anyone have a copy of #1 hotrod magazine from May 2, 1949. That was my birthday and I misplaced my last copy.

18. frizi

frizi

I too have a similar story. A friend told me of an old mustang that he had seen sitting at some old ladies house, said that I should stop and look at it. He worked for a lawn care buisiness, so I thought what the hell. Pulled into the drive, and not only was it a mustang, it was a 69-70 Shelby gt 350! As I got out of the truck shaking like I had downed a bottle of caffiene pills, I ran to the house to ask about the car. No one answered, so I went snooping on, opening the doors to the car. 26000 on the odometer, all the original badges, panels, flawless interior. Now for the kicker, the car was parked UNDER pine trees. The tires were so bad there was no way they would hold air, and the rims had sank into the ground almost 3 inches. I had gone to see the car with all the cash I had, about 10000, and would have given double that for the car, when an old women kicks open the door and promptly tells me the car was not for sale. I have never been back, in amost 6 years to see if the car was still there or not.

But like you Kriel, I am young, have had nothing given to me, and I can remember the most intricate details of everything I see. I have owned close to a 100 vehicles at the age of 30, but I get bored with what I have and move on to something else very quickly, and sell them before too long. I believe what you say, and have seen old auburns, duesys and cords around (I grew up in the town where they were built), but never knew what they were worth when I saw them, much less would I have had the money to buy the cars anyway. Plus I never really liked the looks of those cars, so I was never interested in buying them to begin with.

But since you are not far from me, about 2.5 hours, I would like to take a look at some of the places you speak of, maybe when the weather breaks in the summer.

19. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

He's not 80, he's not 23. He's 16, taking pics of friend's or friends' cars. As soon as you call him out on something he's wwaaayyyyy too eager to respond.

He doesn't write that well. As a matter of fact he writes like an average American high school teenager.

No offense Paul, when you get older you'll learn to appreciate the people who tell it like it is. Go to church if you want a warm welcome...PC has no friends here.

20. GKreamer

GKreamer

Man, don't worry about what people think. You know the truth about your situation, just keep having fun and collecting things you love. I wish I could go back to 23 and do a few things differently- closing in on 40...

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

LOL at this group. First the flaming begins for representing young people too well, must be an old fart. Then when he gets pissy suddenly there's a whole nother group waiting to pounce cause he's got growing up to do.

Jeezus what a bunch of crap.

Stay the course Kreal, happy holidays.

22. Kreal

Kreal

You sir are a fool. I am eager to respond because I am being called a liar when I have already given all photos asked as proof. I have nothing more I need to prove to any of you. To all those in Youngstown, PM me, if you're a decent human being and would like to talk cars sometime. As it looks, I don't think I'll be staying here long - I'm not going to put up with this nonsense every time I make a post.

Paul

23. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

You gotta love this, Give em hell Paul!!

24. cody repp

cody repp
    BANNED

ha ha
    i thought i was the only one who did that:eek::D
    i always say im shooting for a calender;) it works
    then you tell the owners that YOUR PUBLISHER will pay 20 bucks a hour for taking time to let you take pictures
    it has worked for me many-a-time
    -Cody

25. alsancle

alsancle

Just to be clear on the Duesenbergs. The Model X that Jay "discovered" was known about for many years it just wasn't for sale. Also, there has not been a "lost" Duesenberg Model J found in over 50 years. They are all known, just not by the general public.

26. cody repp

cody repp
    BANNED

27. saints

saints

Im out on the road alot around my town so I see alot of old cars tucked away.... I have a company truck with free gas so I dont mind wondering around town when theres not much else to do......havnt seen anything outstanding but I do keep a small notepad in my truck and write the addresses down so next time i have some expendable income I knock on doors.....what works for me is driving up in one of my finished projects and saying"I just got this done and im out looking for my next one.... They also like to be included wheather its pictures in the mail of the build or pics e0mailed to them or telling them youll run it by when its done.....alot of them would like to see what it is after they have seen it setting forever....dont be one of those guys that knocks onthe door and just says "Hi want to sell the old car" or my favorite one Iv heard is can I haul that junk off for ya....I have about 6 cars behind my house and get the knock every once in a while and you can tell the people who respect the cars from the craigslist flip that car guys.....just my 2 cents

28. flatfender

flatfender

you would be surprised as to where you can find unique cars. the is a small store on the main street of a city in NH that has a unmolested Model T snowmobile bricked up in the basement. when I was growing up I snowmobiled all over northern NH and saw boat loads of vintage tin in the woods.

29. Kreal, Welcome aboard. Don't pay too much attention to these guys. Cold winters up north and nothing to do.

Bill

30. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Im 31 now and my first vehicle was a 1967 Triumph motorcycle that I still ride..photo of the bike in my Album...anyway, I uesed to ride that bike everyday when I was 17...and nobody belived it was mine...I would go to bike events and guys would tell me to get away from my own bike when I returned to it and sat on it...so Paul, dont worry about what others say, keep looking for old cars...I do the same thing, most of us do on here. The HAMB has alot of really good knolegeable people that will help ya out so dont turn your back so quick. Just read my quote....Later ~Eric