Register now to get rid of these ads!

need bubbletop info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52stude43, Dec 19, 2008.

1. 52stude43

52stude43

I 'am currently building a bubble-top show car and was wondering if anybody has any info on companys that produce the lexan / plexi bubble , I have found one butt they are iffey on making one for a car??? even tech info on doing it yourself ?

2. squirrel

squirrel

We made a small one for a college project, just cut two pieces of plywood, one with a hole the size of the bubble, the other with an air fitting attached to it. Sandwiched the lexan between the two pieces, put it in a big oven, got it warm, and applied air pressure.

I expect you could have a lot of fun figuring this out...but if you're on friendly terms with a powder coating company they might have a suitable oven

3. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Try "Plowboy" here on the HAMB.

4. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

custom rodder had a how to, dont remember the date, but it was between '96 and 2002, had a black 60 ford convertible on the cover.

6. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

there is one on ebaay right now, july 2001

Attached Files:

7. showrod

showrod

do you have a design/drawing of the car? we would love to see it.

8. Some guys have used round sky lights,
    much easier and cheaper than trying to blow your own.

The Custom Rodder article was decent, some of the
    HPV guys have sites on blowing fairings.

9. 52stude43

52stude43

Showrod , I have the car under construction , I will get some pictures posted soon. :cool:

10. Sometimes you will see suitable bubbles in the sides of fancy resturants.

We have a reasturant named "Indy's" here in Indianapolis that has a bubble sticking thru an outside wall that looks a lot like an Ed Roth or plowboy bubble. Just a thought for a possible cost effective bubble.

11. Spike!

Spike!

Whatever you do, don't ask the guy that wrote into Rod and Custom this past issue...the guy basically said Mr. Grote wasted his time and talent to build a useless car, just because he personally doesn't like 60's style show cars. He would probably tell you to restore a '79 Camaro. What a dick.

I say ask those who have had one made directly. Most of them are on here already...

Spike

12. http://www.globalplastics.ca/products.htm

When I spoke to Plowboy at Autorama this year he said it was a Canadian company that did Atomic Punk's. Maybe this one?

Guys restoring old warbirds would know too.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I made my own blow through mold out of plywood as described above and used a company in Lakeville Mn called Masterglas to blow it. The phone number is 952 469 5300 ask for Steve. I learned a lot about what not to do as far as building the mold and will try and answer what ever questions you may have if you decide to go this way.

[​IMG]

14. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

No fooling?!?! I think that dude wasted his time writing that.

15. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I know a guy in Ft Worth who might still have 2 in his back yard. PM me, I'll hook you two up...
    Jay

16. yngrodder

yngrodder

Plowboy had extras made, and an extra steel ring for the mounting and hinge. If it fits you application he might sell it get ahold of him. The company that did the bubble was out of Canada and he had a lexan one done also and thats what on the car now.

[​IMG]

Above the condenser there is are two steel ring thats how the bubble hinges.

17. owen thomas

owen thomas

Stellar Plastics in Detroit – give them a call if you are serious and willing to spend the money. I’ve dealt with them for over 40 years, and they are good.

http://www.stellarplastics.com/

18. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

The March 2009 issue of Rod and Custom has an article on the restoration of Roth's orbitron. In the article it states,"the bubble being the easiest part of the car-we found a movie studio supplier that made it in two hours."

19. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

try to get of hold of darrell starbird, he has molds all over on his farm, might have the size you need.

20. 52stude43

52stude43

I posted some pics "Kosmic Komet show car" today thanks for all the help:)