Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Sorry, I've never resized them and they are to big for here. I need to fix that...

2. Jim, the car still looks great!!! Man do I want one of them!!!!!:D

3. Theautorestorer

Theautorestorer
    from Tacoma, Wa

:DJim was the guy I worked for. I'm just the mechanic.

4. Gotcha. Jim has some nice cars.;)

5. projim64

projim64

Yea any photos of Freds Shazam or the Norristown Ford would be cool . I have been hanging out with them at the races and should be at all next year with my friend Steve's 65 Comet NSS car. Jim in Pa.

6. there was a ford thunderbolt driven by Jack sund [ lived in Moorhead MN]i think that was wrecked draging in canada and he was killed in the accident, has been some wild stories as to what happened to the car, was supposed to have been stuck in a warehouse for a long time

In 1965 I worked for a chrysler dealer in Moorhead Mn and they took a 1963 1/2 Galaxie 2dHT in trade that had a 427 2x4 barrels and 4 speed, I got ito test it for 5 min after tuning it and manages to streatch the burn :eek:time out a little

7. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

These Thunderbolts were photographed at the 2008 SuperFord event a National Trails Raceway in Ohio.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Scootro

Scootro

^^^^nice pics!!!!;)

9. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Here's one at the Rodder's Reunion a few yers back.There was a guy who would bring in a whole load of Ford Factory cars.

[​IMG]

10. I guess we can put a fork in this thread???

11. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Over on the Network 54 FE site, there is a discussion about Galaxies and also Darrell Drokes 65. I wish I kneww how to get that here. Great shot in Black and white of the car ( from the front ) leaving the line. Are you computer savy?

12. thunderplex

thunderplex

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  13. Any photos would be great. Any idea what cars they have? What dealerships were the delivered to? I've been researching these cars for years. Looking for anything related to them.

14. Whatnownc

Whatnownc

"I guess we can put a fork in this thread??? "

Why would you say that. This is one of the best thread's on Ford Thunderbolts that I have found. There is some great info here. I wish there were even more. I know alot oftime has gone into getting what info that is here but time is runing out for a lot of us. If some people dont log on here and tell what they know or have heard about these car's Its going to be lost for ever. Lets dont give up yet.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  15. thunderplex

thunderplex

[/i]

16. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Always been a Hi-Po Galaxie fanatic, started making mine look like one years ago before cloning something became such a big thing, figured that would be the only way I'd ever have anything close to the real thing.
    Originally a 289/auto, now a 390/4spd. Its fun to walk up to it and hear all the people who know about these cars talking to each other about it. Sometimes I just let them walk away thinking its a real 427 car because I'd hate to ruin their day. I always tell the truth though if they ask. It does have a lot of rare stuff on it now. Even has the RC Industries bell housing that I think is an original T-bolt or Lightweight part.

Attached Files:

17. Nice '64 Galaxie!! The RC bellhousing did come on factory lightweights but it was available over the counter at the dealer and via aftermarket. Is yours steel or aluminum?

18. oj

oj

Hey Troublemaker, there's a thunderbolt nearby. it was raced at colonial beach in va and called 'The Beachcomber' it was/is totally original and as far as i recall the original sideoiler sitting in a crate. The car got 'tucked away' for irs reasons and has yet to show up again. I asked a reliable source about it a couple years ago and they said it is still there (i think it is in their own shop). The car was so perfect that when the owner bought it in the late 80's he took it to the world of wheels in richmond and stole the show.

19. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Hi guys,found this site while searching for pics and details of the tasca 62 fairlane.Haven't come across much of anything.Does anyone have anymore pics or details about it or others like it?I just picked up a 62 fairlane that I want to turn into a super stock clone and really don't know where to start.What wheel/tire sizes were run on these cars and thunderbolts?Want to run a steel wheel for now just not sure what sizes I need.

This is one of the best threads I've seen yet on these cars,went back and started at the beginning.

Brian

20. Race Artist

Race Artist

Good to see replicas being built of these cars ... as far as I know though the '63 TASCA T-Bolt car was Peacock Blue, not white. There is a short feature on it in an old Modern Rod or Drag Racing issue where one can barely make out the color listed on the window sticker. It did run with the stock hood but also received a big bubble to clear the hi-riser.
    Joel

21. Race Artist

Race Artist

One of the NY based magazines of the period had a feature on the '62 406 Fairlane. Good info and pictures of the car. CARS, Custom Rodder, or one of those magazines. It started out with individual headers that gathered into a long oval collector that exited behund the front wheels.
    Joel

22. thunderplex

thunderplex

23. Spooky

Spooky

YOWZA!

My Dad worked at Courtesy Ford in Littleton, Colorado just after he graduated High School. So it is early spring of '64. Dad was a "car shagger" and would usually be there as the new stuff was brought in and he woul even drive cars off of the transporters.

So one day he is asked to drive a car of two off the newly arrvied cars for sale.
    Amongst the cars is a '64 Fairlane with a strange hood. Dad gets in, and realises the car is bare bones. No heater, the radio is gone. It has rubberized floormatts and has only two seats.
    He turns the key and the 427 fires up with a roar. The lightened car vibrates and shakes.
    He gooses the throttle-WA-POW!, again- WAAPOW!!

He slowly depressed the clutch as it slipped into gear.
    The tires gripped the steel grating of the transporter with an audible chirp of the tires. Now the idle is more loping.
    The Fairlane dances its own slow shuffle as he tries to wrangle it off of the transporter and into the service area. He wrangles the car of the ramp and onto the cool ashpalt and drops it into first.
    Again,a chirp of tires as he tries to mildly drive this surprise into the service garage. Dad hit the throttle as he felt the carbs begining to load up on, -WAAA-POW!, WAAAAAA!- About this time the service bay is starting to attract the mechanics from there stalls. Dad idles the mysterious car up gives it one more shot of gas and turns the key off.

He climbs out and watches as the serivice writers and mechanics are decending upon this car.
    "What the Hell is this thing?" Dad asks
    The garage manager smiles at Dad and simply says,
    "A little surprise from Dearborn, Barry."

Dad smiles as he always tells me this story. He also knew of some brothers in Englewood Colorado who owned a lightweight '64 Galaxie.

24. Race Artist

Race Artist

I beg to differ but color shots of the car in late '63 at the NHRA Nationals and the photo of the window sticker tell a different story ... the car wasn't white.
    DST has it wrong I'd say.
    Joel

25. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Thanks I'll try to search these and see if I come up with anything.If you come across anything else please let me know.
    Thanks
    Brian

26. In case you haven't already seen 'em, how 'bout a couple more of Don Bowles (still dragging in Roush Mustang) and the Conner Ford (Rockport, IN) Thunderbolt.
    [​IMG]
    You gotta love flat towin' with the Galaxy and the engine hoist in the side yard. Those truly were the good ole days.
    [​IMG]

27. thunderplex

thunderplex

28. Race Artist

Race Artist

Here's a shot that has been in a number of books and magazines of the '63 TASCA prototype 427 Fairlane at the '63 NHRA Nationals running the big bulged-bubble hood. The late Bob Snayko had a shot of it running at Detroit Dragway with the stock hood ... not sure which was the earlier of the two pictures. I think Bob's photos are available through Dick Towers Match Race Madness.
    Joel

Attached Files:

29. Steve DeTar

Steve DeTar

Don Brach used to have a T-bolt when he worked at my dad's shop. It was blue, with DeTar Automotive on the side of it. I have no pic's of it but only have seen it race at Ark City. Dave Rupp had called Crane for a Cam which was made especially for Don. Steve DeTar