Register now to get rid of these ads!

History KELLISON J4 - the HOTRODDER"S SPORTS CAR - LETS SEE some of the BEST!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Green Voodoo, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

This is one my favorite Kellisons.

I would like to learn more about it's history.

Does anyone know if it still exists ?

Now lets see more Kellisons - POST YOUR PICTURES!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Jim Kellison designed his spectacular J4 in the mid 50s and his personal car No.905 was featured in many contemporary automotive publications including Griffith Borgeson on Hot Rods ( A Fawcett how to book 427 ) published in 1959.
    Kellisons were advertised in HOT ROD magazine throughout the late 50s and into the 60s.
    Many Hot Rod and Custom shows of the early 60s featured Kellisons , amongst the creations of Roth ,Barris and the like. .

Bob McNulty’s Kellison was shown alongside Tex Smith’s XR6, AMBR winner at the 1963 Oakland Roadster Show.

Bill Burke famous hot rodder and racer extraordinaire ran one at Bonneville in the late 50s.

The Frank Collingwood custom built Kellison known as the ASTRA was the most successful on the show circuit competing against some 4000 entries including well known Hot Rods and Customs of the period to take the 1965 -66 ICAS International Championship and earn it’s place in the ICAS Hall of Fame.

Frank’s “ASTRA” was also featured in Rod and Custom in 1966.

One of the most interesting aspects of Jim Kellison’s original J4, is the design (except for the Kamm tail featured on the Ferrari.) and proportions are very similar to Ferrari’s sports racing car, the iconic 250GTO, - including the wind cheating drooped nose.
    Interestingly, the 250GTO was developed several years after Jim Kellison debuted his car. The Ferrari 250 GTO is regarded as one of the most beautiful Ferraris and perhaps the most coveted sports racer of all time and this is reflected in recent sale prices of around $20 Million.

The Kellison an original American design, which was part of the Hot Rod & Custom scene , in the late 50s and into the 60s seems to have been forgotten or ignored.

Whilst the chassis of the Kellsion cannot be compared to the Ferrari 250GTO , a well set up Kellison with a “Hot Rodded “American power train can be very competitive on the circuit against the thoroughbreds. Anyone out there remember Max Blachowsky and his famous “OL Yaller”. Max was a Hot Rodder through and through . He owned a real hot rod 32 Roadster with a Buick nailhead.
    The Kellison has the looks, not unlike the Ferrari 250GTO – revered as Ferrari’s most beautiful! .

Frank Collingwood’s ASTRA earned its place in the ICAS Hall of Fame because it took the Peoples Choice awards at many of the shows it entered, reflecting the impact of the Kellison sports car on the audience at the time. An audience made up of Hot Rod and Custom car buffs.

Some may refer to Kellisons as ‘kit cars” – but let me remind you that they are less of a kit car than the current crop of repro bodies fitted with the oh’ so beautiful aftermarket parts.

Were the Hot Rodder’s and Custom car guys of the late 50s & 60s “Dickheads “ for devoting their attention to Kellisons and featuring them in shows and magazines?
    I think not!

The cars look exactly they way did in the 60s and they still look similar to the Ferrari 250 GTO.

Perhaps it’s time to step back and take notice of this AMERICAN Sports car icon – the Hot Rodder’s Sports car.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. oj

oj

I think the same kellison made 'kit' dragsters and this may be one. It was found unfinished and abandonded condition in a barn. We took it back to the original condition of what it could have been from kellison and then built it from there. It really was a mess. It is called 'old bones'

Attached Files:

4. stan292

stan292

VooDoo-

Don't know if you've ever heard of the Akins & Hardcastle Kellison drag car, but it was one of the top dogs on the early (c. 1966) West Coast funny car scene. While not what some might catagorize as a "real" funny car (what with its "sporty" body style), there was much more freedom in that regard (style) back at the beginning of the FC phenomenon, and it was accepted - and raced as such.

One of the owners (Hardcastle, I believe) was a very bright fellow, and a hard-core builder/mechanic. In fact, the car was such a strong runner, many of the "big-name" funny car guys (both East and West Coast) dared not match race it. It was a direct-drive car (like a dragster), when most were using automatic trannies.

I saw it several times at Irwindale, and it was VERY impressive. I believe they actually had a cash challenge set up for any funny car who could best them. I don't think it was ever collected.

I have some scanned photos somewhere, and will try to dig them up for you.

5. I have alwys wanted one!

Search sports cars here, there are a few threads with a TON of pics

6. blackout

blackout

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried to buy a bare body about 20 years ago but it had been left sitting outside for years and was too far gone to do anything with. I'd still like to get my hands on one.

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

They are sometime seen on the kit car & Kellison sites

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

pics...

Attached Files:

11. That Ferrari would probably be a 250GT or 250SWB.

12. McKee

McKee

Steve Stanford's take on a Kellison,...sweet!

Attached Files:

13. McKee

McKee

You're probably thinking about the Kelmark GT,...it was a replica of the Ferrari Dino, it started out using a VW chassis and then morphed into a a full custom built, square tube frame using the front wheel drive set up from a toro or Eldo,...but still using the VW front suspension,...scary!

Attached Files:

14. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]
    250GTO Ferrari
    34 or so were built. Now worth well int several million dollars each. While I really like the Kellison..there was no way for it to hang with a 250GT on anything but a drag strip.
    I have seen several Kelisons when I raced SCCA..and wish I was able to get one then..as well as a a lot of others..Devins..Townsends..Cheata..but..

No illusions..I have seen the 250GT racing..
    Finish 2nd overall at Lemans..1st in class. Amazing result..a sporst GT..beating all but one of the prototypes..
    Won Lemans class '62 and '63

The Kellison..Devins..etc were good on our shorter races and tighter tracks but get that V12 screamin' and all you saw was it's headlights..as you got lapped..

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

That looks like a handful

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Larry Kremer ( one hell of a custom car builder)built one back in the early 70's that was called "FAT RAT" Purple metal Flake green flames, wonder if anybody has pics of it..

17. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]
    1968 logo

Jim Kellison
    [​IMG]
    11-25-32 to 9-30-04

Like Devin..Tom Barnes and Dick Troutman Scarab..and others..a great American attempt to counter the Euro dominate sports GT racers..

18. I saw the first pass Gary Southern ever made in the Akins-Hardcastle "Stinger" at Pomona. Still gives me goose bumps. It was at the 66 Winternationals, and when they came off the trailer with a 200 mph pass, the AFX/early funny car boys screamed bloody murder, and NHRA made the coupe run in top fuel. Yes, Roger Hardcastle was a forward thinker. Putting Pat Akins hi gear only fuel hemi in a street sports coupe was the true pioneer funny car. The crowd loved it, but NHRA just wasn't ready for it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  19. Cshabang

Cshabang

I want one of those...thanks to Stanford..I still have the issue with that rendering in it...haha

20. rosenoble

rosenoble

I had a kellison road racer and now I have a drag car. Drag car for sale anyone interested? [email protected]

Attached Files:

21. rosenoble

rosenoble

I have a drag car and used to have a roadracer the drag car is for sale. [email protected]

Attached Files:

22. rosenoble

rosenoble

Here are some more pixs

Attached Files:

23. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Lets try again.

Post your pictures of any Kellsions.

The Kellison is an original American design icon.

Mike

24. TomWar

TomWar

Here are 2 pics of Bob McNulty's Just before the 1963 Oakland Roadster show. He Painted it and didn't like the color, so repainted it. My Friend
    Darrell Hayes ( RIP) and I helped him get ready for the show.

Attached Files:

25. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

26. Algon Injected

Algon Injected

My 1959 Kellison J4

Attached Files:

27. encswsm

encswsm

Would be tough on a LOCOST 7 Chassis

28. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Still trying to find this car!

Any clues?

29. sub006

sub006

I know the red car must be a Kellison with that flip front end, but in the thumbnail it looked like a Devin to me at first! :D

30. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Bomonster (here on the HAMB) has one and knows of a few others.