Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to do to clean this up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JLasvegas, Dec 15, 2008.

1. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

Looking to clean up the engine bay and make it look 60s, im partial to keep the factory AC since it works great:)
    possibly some finned valve covers ? or....
    [​IMG]

2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Get a "more period" air cleaner paint engine factory colors.etc.

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You hit the nail on the head . Those Yellow valve covers gotta go ! Offy or Edelbrock have any ? There is a Hamber that sells the dress up Spiral goodies that are universal and wood look real nice under that hood ! Look in the classified -parts for sale . Search for the "Spiral " Oil breather . I think the was his last post . He has a whole line of real nice dress up candy !!

4. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

I have the factory Banjo style cleaner but its huge

5. Move the wiper motor to the other side of the firewall (Inside, not left to right).
    Move the AC compressor to a location down low and to one side so it is less obtrusive, or get an electric compressor from a hybrid (or refrigerator), and hide it in the trunk.
    Get a pair of replacement inner fenders (maybe from a junkyard). Recess the existing inner fenders for the lines and hoses and wires to lay in so they are flush with the top, if you want to be really smooth. Otherwise, build some standoffs. Attach part of the junkyard aprons to the existing ones via fasteners such as screws or some sort of quick release fastener for easy maintenance, so that they cover all of that stuff.
    A lot of work with rounded inner fenders, but yours are fairly simple and planar.
    I don't really see much to cover up/hide to make it cleaner - I guess you could move the brakes under the floor board like an early car :)

6. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

get a hellings style air cleaner (helmet style) but bigger diameter. and chrome the valve cover

7. Oh yeah - get rid of that Uuuugly convoluted tubing. Traditional aside, that stuff looks cheap. Being a traditional thing - wrap it with friction tape, or run it across the car on the other side of the firewall (inside) and then back out so you can better see the sexy lines of that firewall :)

8. Get some red see though spark plug wires and red see through gas line.1960's=more chrome.

9. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Is that a Studebaker? I think yellow WAS the stock color for those valve covers.

10. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

I was just going to say that about the valve covers... looks like a Stude in your avatar to me.

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Make up your mind whether you want it 'cleaned up', or period 60s.
    Put that huge air cleaner on, paint it and the valve covers black with a brush, leave the AC. That's period 60s.

12. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

yes its a Stude 259 CID, I have the orange breathers that sit on those valve covers but the MR Gasket ones look better IMO

13. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

with the factory aircleaner and breathers

[​IMG]

14. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Paint that coil! Looks better with the OEM air cleaner than the one from Autozone.

15. r8odecay

r8odecay

polish the valley cover, and paint the intake manifold to match the yeller rocker covers or some other color diff than the heads.

16. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

Thinking of cleaning up the fire wall, remove the wire coverings that look cheap, clean up the wiring and locations of the solinoids on the drivers fenderwell and then repaint the intake a nice flat black, repaint the factory air cleaner flat black, maybe strip and polish the valley cover or buy a finned aluminum one, not sure about those orange breathers though, the chrome ones look better IMO

17. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

chrome coil covers considered a no no?

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

19. Try to find some chrome valve covers. Avanti's had them. Or pin stripe the originals. A larger open element air filter. Paint the wiper motor. Formed upper radiator hose. Route the spark plug wires in some 60's style looms. A couple of old stickers/decals and you'll be cool.

20. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

Put a HAMB sticker on the firewall and close the hood.