Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone own/owned a van?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -DMC-, Dec 13, 2008.

1. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

I have seen threads of the old Schwinn bikes(man, I always wanted a Krate),motorcycles, car haulers and so on. Which were all cool threads with great pics. I would like to see some vans from the 60`s-70`s era. I really like the paint jobs and style of that era. I was too young to have one then... Since I was born in `69. I always wanted a cool van though, 70`s Dodge with rectangle head lights...It isnt exactly HAMB stuff, I doubt. But would be appreciated to see some cool pics or stories...I hope this isnt a typical FNG thread...

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's the reason it's not on the hamb.... Van's don't fit in the word Traditional...

3. Weasel

Weasel

Even if they did, you don't honestly expect anyone to 'fess up to owning a van do you???:eek:

4. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Dig it...Failure of a thread...damn it...

5. jonnycola

jonnycola

I own two 60's vans. 68 dodge and a 66 chevy

Old vans are badass.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

7. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I live in one -- down by the river...

8. I guess it depends on what your definition of the word "traditional" is. I understand what this site is for, but vans are traditional for the 70's era, which goes along with the Schwinn bikes like he said. I just bought a 61 Econoline for $225 and I plan on some bias ply Mickey Thompsons on some Cragar S/Ss. That's traditional.

9. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

There are plenty of cool 60's vans.

As a kid that grew up on a used car lot in the 70's we had a lot of custom vans. My first memories of custom paint jobs was watching my dad paint vans, and Love looking at them, but couldn't bring myself to own one.

10. indyjps

indyjps

the van thing always creeped me out, a rolling bedroom with shag carpet. no thanks.

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My roommate at flying school had one that was paneled, and had the carpet attached to a big sheet of plywood. Ten minutes and a little grunting, and it was ready to swallow the motocross bike and tools. Like minivans (yeah, I've had one) they aren't really a fashion accessory, but can be really handy to have around.

12. seldom scene

seldom scene

Work trucks, It's great to be retired and not need a van full of tools anymore!

13. HR Delivery

HR Delivery
    from Northeast

Vanning was just a part of the hot rod culture. The same as your "traditional" is today. It came and went but they sure were good times. I had a 73 Dodge B100,The name was Spaced Truckin... Went all over the country with it and met alot of cool people. the same as we do now with rods. Don`t be ashamed to admit the fun you had. It was a real comeradery and the parties were outstanding. You had either a rusted piece of crap of a balls to the wall full on custom, It didnt matter...We all shared the same goal...Have fun with your vehicle. Yeah...I know,,,Im a newb, But not a newb to our great hobby. 40 plus years of all rodding fun.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  14. George G

George G

You mean a family style mini van?

15. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

16. JamesG

JamesG

Van's aren't tradition?

How do you think most of us in our 30's and 40's got here?:eek:

[​IMG]

17. OK, promise not to laugh but, these were the days of my forth coming down fall just before I rose from the ashes.........speaking of ashes, nah, we won't go there.
    [​IMG]

18. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

19. Oh yeah, mine was also 1976, I think..........

20. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i had a customized van i got 'free last yr.
    70 chev with A 350. it had good old finned aluminum edelbrock valve covers & edelbrock intake, carter AFB, cool air cleaner, 3 speed with a hurst shifter, positraction rear, chrome chain steering wheel, it was all airbrushed up with a cave man on the sides & back doors, pinstriped, tube grill, quad headlights, it had orange shag inside with a fridge....etc..etc.......

i parked it back by the tree line & tore the interior out & stored parts in it BUT people in the nearest house we rent to them (which isnt even close to it) were scared to death of the van.
    they said why do you have that 'serial killer' van in the trees back there, we are scared to walk back by it?!!
    i told them good stay the fuck outta there anyway.

it just seemed everyone that ever saw it bitched about it. there is ALWAYS 5 parts cars back there nobody can see some back there 20+ years. but that fukkin van drove people nuts for some reason?!
    all i ever heard was whats up with that van? get rid of that van! why is that van back here???..........
    leave my FREE fukin hippie van alone it locks & its full of good parts! i like it!! so oh well anyway i ended up tearin it apart & i had it crushed.

i cut the sides off the van with the cave men & dragons & shit painted on em before it got crushed. :D
    burried in snow now or id get a pic.

oh i almost forgot..... we towed it in it was free & one night me & my youngest son got it runnin & " we TORE ASSSSSS up & down the street!!! man it was fun!!! we flattened a lobe on the cam & had it poppin through the carb along with the rusted duals rappin & tire burnin ..... lots of commotion! by the time we were done which wasnt long it wouldnt shift anymore we got it limped back into a place & it was done!

21. Keep

Keep

An 82 Chevy conversion van was my high school ride. Man I miss that thing!

22. AD

AD

i'd kill for a lil 61 econoline,,

23. RichG

RichG

I have a '93 Aerostar that's the storage unit for my '27, does that count?

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

1975...1974 Dodge with a set of Americans...many miles, lots of photos

[​IMG]

25. mikes51

mikes51

Pretty cool paint!

26. wacko

wacko
    from Canada

Check out vintage-vans.com as well as vcvc.org lots of cool earlys on both sites. I am currently restoring a 66 chevy window van

[​IMG]

27. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Vans are/were great. The first one I owned was a '67 Econoline. I got it from a tire store in about '72 and put orange shag in it, Paneled walls some wood spindles, dark curtains and lots of mood lights. Of yeah can't forget the 8 track and some hidden speakers in the back. Taped off some flames on the side to cover the tire store name and spray bombed away. I had as much fun in that as any vehicle I owned, we actually had two bachelor parties in it. It was the vehicle I owned when i met my future wife and she cried when I sold it!!! :D

28. jnds53

jnds53

Yeah, I owned a 66 econoline(ford) 240ci with 3 speed,then a 74 Dodge 318 auto, them days there were clubs, I started with Our Gang Vans out of La Mirada Ca then to Have Vans Will Travel, Southgate Ca. Yeah I'll own up to it, it was a great time.

29. moparron426

moparron426

30. prl98

prl98

Have a look at a website called inlandvansberdo.com