Register now to get rid of these ads!

thickstun heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetmek, Dec 12, 2008.

1. jetmek

jetmek

i came across a pair of early 24 stud thickstun heads with a bunch of model a and flathead stuff . are they a fairly common item? never ran across any before.

2. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Not very common at all. Al, I'd grab them if I was you. They'd look good on the T and if they can't be used, they'd make great wall art.

3. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Do you have the covers with the heads? They were originally a marine application, I believe........racing boats....the covers were supposed to keep water off the spark plugs....

CB

4. jetmek

jetmek

they're not the ones your thinking of ...these are a no-fin slab looking head with center outlets . i thought they would look good with a pm7 manifold

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They did not have fins because the fins would have been hidden by the covers that Brucie is talking about.

6. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Al, Thickstun heads don't have fins. There should be a threaded boss in the center of the head for attaching the aluminum covers. They still look cool without the covers.
    Paul

7. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

tommy, talk about timing!!!!!!!!!
    Paul

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Great minds.... yeah right!:D

9. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Paul is right.......Thickstun heads do not have fins.........do they have the threaded boss in the center of the heads where the finned covers would bolt on?

CB

10. 41hemi

41hemi

Jay Fitzhugh is the one to talk to about these heads. I believe he's done a lot of research on them. He has a set of these on his freshly finished 32 3W that he had down at the Jalopyrama. Al

11. jetmek

jetmek

yep on closer inspection in the daylite i see the bosses for the covers to bolt on. thanks ....paul next time your in the area stop by. im getting in the model a babbit business and have lotsa new old KR Wilson toys to play with

12. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Jetmek,

The key to these heads is finding a set that doesn't leak. The aluminum was of poor quality compared to today. Also the lower corner water outlets tend to leak into the outside cylinders. A good usable set is very rare. I have gone through six sets to get a pair that will work. Good luck. Send me a shot of the underside.

I will post a shot of how they look with the covers in place.

Jay

13. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Here is a shot with the whole set-up, including the dual throttle linkage system. This shot was before Clark got the engine running.

Jay

Attached Files:

14. jetmek

jetmek

thanks for that...the water ports are kinda ugly. make a good wall hangar i guess