Register now to get rid of these ads!

"period correct" 31 Tudor help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jersey Joe 67, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I've been keeping off the HAMB, lately, due to depression from economic woes. I'm looking to build up my 31 Tudor, as a "period correct" car from the early 40's. Using the stock banger, and trans, along with the frame, and as many other stock parts as i can find.
    I want to build this car, lowering it, etc, with the technology(or lack of), from that period.
    I'm looking for pictures of tudors built in the early 40's, for reference. Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Photo of my 31 can be seen in my avitar.

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thats a good looking ride there. I don't have economic woes like you mentioned, but if it makes you feel better, here's a pic of my '29 :eek:

Bet you feel better now huh? :D

Attached Files:

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

You gotta start somewhere, bro! Happy holiday's.

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

V=chip on the tv, block news channels. So-called recession will only affect people that believe in whining, stay away from them.

Early 40s take off the fenders, hood and boards, high compression head, dual single barrel carbs, and magneto on the banger, and 600x16 on front650/700 on rear with steelies. Channel the body, gas tank on the front, split the front bones, Reverse the eyes on main spring leafs. Some kept the mechanicals (my personal preference), or went to 39/40/41 juice.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/

http://www.macsautoparts.com/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008

5. I like this tudor.

Attached Files:

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Real beauty, for sure!

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, you gotta run juice brakes with modern traffic out there.

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

most sedans in the early 40's would have been full fendered, basically stock looking. possibly a hopped up engine and smaller 16-17-18" ford wheels

i know alot of clubs, atleast in southern california, really stayed away from the sedans so therefor many were just used as transportation

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Any suggestions on the brakes, and which one's will pretty much bolt on? sorry if my questions sound kinda stupid, but i'm learning as i go. Thanks

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you can use the 1935 ford 16" wheels . this will get you into cokers . dual "updrafts" with "B" carbs . this is what im using also . scalded dog makes a good one . "vortex" , also from snyders . snyders is 5$ cheaper . zienth "B"'s can be found used & rebuilt . im doing this also . if you need help or info , please email me @ [email protected] im keeping the fenders on mine for yr round use . just my taste . all else is in your area .................... steve

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Any suggestions on the brakes
    i kept mechanicals with "teds" kits . they will lock the tires anytime i want . cheap kit that really improves the brakes . im running radials all the way & they really help ................... steve

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

As a "recession augmenter" to your wallet, do the mechanicals up right, win bets with the ignorant that are willing to bet you they wont work good!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1950ChevySuburban
    "Yeah, you gotta run juice brakes with modern traffic out there."
    Horseshit. Take the time to get the mechanicals working. If you really believe they can't be, take the time to learn something. Search and find a lot of insight on the subject. steve nor-cal for one, plus others.

..and as beatnik said, "and keep your banger drivetrain", which to me is a no-brainer.

13. beatnik

beatnik

14. Don,t be afraid of the mechanical brakes, they can still work well.

15. Strip some of the crap off the back & add a set of blackwall bias ply 'Stones & this is about as good as it gets. Evojoe's color is even better.

I'd shoot for something like this.

JH

[​IMG]

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I like it too, but a '40s hotrod wouldn't have spare tire, or fenders, and would have 16 or 17 inch steelies, because 600x16/17 tires were the norm.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I'm keeping the 16" spokes. Love that look

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Thanks a lot, Steve. I'll be keeping in touch, for sure. Your ride looks awesome!Happy holidays

19. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

There's a local dude here in Michigan named Lee who drives a Model A sedan jalopy done in a VERY cool and authentic pre-war style. He runs a rebuilt Banger mill with a few simple mods, rebuilt MECHANICAL BRAKES and the smaller 35 Ford wires on his. Left the fenders off, painted it flat black with green wheels.

It looks killer, nails the vibe and he DRIVES the hell out of it in Detroit-area traffic all Summer long! It'll lock up all four tires if needed and more than keeps up with traffic, too!

(Of course, even on the freeways in and around Detroit, you very rarely find anyone driving faster than 50mph...even in 70mph zones!:rolleyes:)

I wish I could remember Lee's HAMB handle...but hopefully he'll pop up and post some pics of his ride for ya...sounds like you're doing pretty much what he did!

:cool:

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Holy crap, what an awesome Tudor!!! Love that color blue! I'm keeping mine the stock color, though.

21. beatnik

beatnik

That would be Shock on here.

Attached Files:

22. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Sweet ride! Thanks for the picture.

I see most bangers in that green color. Is that the stock engine color?

23. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

24. TOE

TOE

That's what I would be aiming for if I were building a Tudor.

I love it.

25. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Not many Sedan's would have been really hot rodded in the late 40's. The ones that did mostly got a simple 2 carb intake, a new distributor, and sealed beam conversions into the stock headlights. A full set of '40 juice brakes would not have been out of the question. You could probably take it a little further and strip off the bumpers, spare tire, and add some different taillights into the fenders. Probably 39 or 46 Ford or maybe 40 or 46 Chevy.

Channeling and dropped axles didn't really start until the early 50's. And a channeled Sedan would have been a real rare thing.

26. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

check 'norcal steve,s' that was a style from the 40,s,into the 50,s For a regular daily driver, fenders were used as the cops were buggin us, for small stuff.

27. Lucky77

Lucky77

You could always step the rear crossmember. I know it was very common in the late forties, not too sure about pre war days though. Here's an example from the chassis I'm doing for my 30 roadster. Combine this with a reversed eye spring with the main leaf moved up in the stack and you can lower the car 7-8 inches in the rear.

Attached Files:

28. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Here's my '31 Deluxe Tudor, I believe the color scheme is the same as yours. I took this in on trade this last fall. I was told the mechanical brakes were '32 ford, I don't know how to verify that yet but the car broke down on a trip and a friend pulled me home with a tug strap (~7mi), I was able to stop my car and his Ranger truck. Don't be afraid of the mechanical brakes.

[​IMG]

The wheels are '35 ford w/ 32 caps, I'm leaving a spare on but covering it with a factory '35 Ford tin wheel cover. The frond spring is a reverse eye, and would like to remove a leaf or two in the rear I have a rebuilt engine that is bored .100 over and have a "SPEED HEAD" that I need to get repaired,a NOS Willys distributor w/mechanical advance as well as the other goodies below. Good luck on your project!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

check 'norcal steve,s' that was a style from the 40,s,into the 50,s For a regular daily driver, fenders were used as the cops were buggin us, for small stuff.

thank you 39cent ! i try ................... steve