Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1929 Model "A" Gut Check

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustBucket49, Dec 11, 2008.

1. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Gents, I have access to a 1929 (I think) Model "A" pickup (sort of). It has been sitting out in the elements for YEARS and is a rust heap. Got a 4 cylinder flathead that is probably completely siezed up and they took the bed off and it has a wooden P.O.S. bed. No roof, just windshield. Hope you get the picture. I am thinking of getting hold of the truck before it completely disintegrates to nothing and trying to recover the cab portion, mate in a new frame and bed and perhaps get it running and looking respectable without spending what little is left of my delayed retirement (perhaps one of those "low boy" trucks??) - perhaps drop a V8 or a flathead V-block..... I don't think I can resurrect the motor that is in it right now..

I would really appreciate any feedback, photos, stories, etc. to help me make a decision on this deal - it would probably not cost me a red cent to get the truck........

Pictures on second page.........

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. shouldnt have used the "R" word!!!

3. Onelow34

Onelow34

Rat rod? Great!!! another post that is going to go on for days!!! j/k

4. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

"I would really appreciate any feedback"
    I dont think your gonna appreciate the feedback yer gonna get on this one!

5. Weasel

Weasel

Actually, I don't think we're getting any pictures and you need to get an exterminator to get rid of the rodents:D.

6. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Ok........ "rat rod" probably not applicable. I would like to get the thing running and looking respectable.

Also, don't waste your time or my time posting bull shit comments. I would appreciate some useful feedback.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  7. gassman57

gassman57

If it's free...grab it; there should be at least some useful parts! You say the 'banger' is 'probably' siezed up...try probably un-siezing it..grab a couple of free-all from your local NAPA, pop the plugs; and spray the hell out of it...you'd be surprised what that stuf can do.!!

8. sjrodder

sjrodder
    from vermont

we just did one last year in about that condition it came out great. there is a lot of replacement sheet metal for them. if the cowl and A pillers are good iwould say it is a good project. but remember i am from the northeast so it sounds like a typical start.

9. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Gasman and SJRodder, thanks for the comments. I think the vehicle actually looks better than your avatar SJ..... Curious how you handled the frame and suspension - any places you could recommend to get parts "economically" ?? It is fendered right now, but they are in pretty bad shape - would probably have to scrap those and go fenderless....

10. Degreaser

Degreaser

When you say no roof, just windshield, do you mean a roadster pick up? Or a closed roof without the center? Either way, get it, take it home and give it hell. If you decide its not for you, sell it and make a buck or two.

11. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Degreaser, I mean no roof - I guess the "hi boy" look for lack of a better description.... I will try to post a few pictures here in a day or so. For historical perspective, this truck has been around in our family ever since my dad was a kid on our ranch in South Texas. We used to ride around on it all the time. It was great - has the crank on the motor and everything...... It stayed in a barn for a long time until the barn started falling down. My uncle pulled it out of the barn and it's been sitting outside ever since. It is really disheartening seeing it go to waste. I have a garage full of 1949 Chevy crap right now, but really want to bring the Mdl A in as well......

12. sjrodder

sjrodder
    from vermont

There was no frame so we built are own. because most of the sheet metal is relativly flat made that to. as far as suspension we used straight axle and early camaro rear installed a small block. went down to my steel supplier and bent up a new bed had about $200 in that.

13. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

can you post some digital pics ? I have a friend that has parts...back of cab etc he may sell you. the logistics between us and you are a hurdle....but the price your paying for that field truck sounds resonable.PM for contact info if interested.

14. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Pictures speak volumes.

15. Degreaser

Degreaser

Very cool. Lets see some pics. Im sure between being in a barn and being outside in Texas its WAY better than anything found here in the midwest.

16. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Thanks for the feedback and the interest. I will try to post some pictures tonight. I have never done that, so that may be a cluster........

17. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

The Flat 4's are invincible, just putting it out there that everyone that was seized that iv came across gets going. just pull the head replace the gasket and clean it up.

18. gassman57

gassman57

RustBucket...I just got a great idea; worry no more!!
    Pack that thing in a truck and ship it to me....I'll take care of it!!

19. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Gassman, dude !!! I will ship it to you when hell freezes over. Wait a minute..... it snowed in Houston last night - I can't say that anymore... :)

20. Roupe

Roupe

The doors are the hardest part of the cab to find. All the parts behind the doors are made after market.
    Here is a pic of a '29 I'm working on. 4.5" chop, cab stretched 4" and model t coupe 1/4 windows shortened and narrowed. Flathead powered with 5 speed.

Attached Files:

21. NoSurf

NoSurf

I think it boils down to this: How bad do you want it?

Anything is possible.

22. Roupe

Roupe

Post some Pics!

23. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

OK, here are some pictures. I thought it had both doors, but no...... Am I crazy to try it??? I would most likely lose the fenders......

Attached Files:

24. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

It's a new year right around the corner, seems like a good time to get into a project ... new year .. new project ... new goal. I say good luck and go for it. But my 2 cents isn't worth much.

25. BedPimp

BedPimp
    from Fresno, CA

That body looks to be in better shape than the touring sedan carcass I'm going to be building on next year.

Go for it!

26. RustBucket49

RustBucket49
    from Texas

Thanks for the encouragement Still Runnin' and BedPimp.... Say BedPimp, if your project is rougher than this one, I want to see some pictures of the progress!!!!!

27. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

28. careyohio

careyohio

That looks like the front half of a touring car...rare !!!! Get it !!

29. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

You call that rough? HA!

yeah that is a touring front half, rare, i would love to have that and find another touring back half to complete it again.

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Holy Cow! I expected a cutdown sedan body and you've got a 28-29 Touring Car front section there!
    Take that mother home and love it forever. Find a back half and keep it with you when you go...you know, up there.