Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scratching My Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigs merc, Dec 10, 2008.

1. bigs merc

bigs merc

I have a '64 mercury with a 390 and a four barrel. just had the engine and transmission rebuilt and a new edelbrock 600 put on it. It was starting to cut out so i had the carb checked and it came back fine. And now it won't even start. what should I do:confused:?

2. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

Points or aftermarket Dist? Check points and timing... Check points for spark with key on then check plug wire while eng. turns over..

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Exactly. I've had similar problems and traced them back to the ignition. Also, keep in mind, there is a factory ballast resistor wire under the dash. Not knowing this, when I put electronic ignition in my Galaxie, I added a ballast resistor in-line under the hood and dropped the voltage to the point where it'd cut out once in a while....

Good luck - let us know what you find out...

Malcolm

4. It's really a bitch trying to diagnose long-distance like this. BUT, I'll chime in with----to start a combustion engine, you need 3 things: fuel, compression, and spark. Sorry, but ya gotta start somewhere:cool: PS-whadda ya mean it cuts out?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

give us some clue after you have verified its got spark to plugs, gas to the carb, and motor turns over when you hit starter.

6. MoparManiac2008

MoparManiac2008
    from so cal

what he means by "cut out" is that it would idle fine, actually, it would fire right up and idle great, but when you gave it gas it wouldn't rev up. I told him, and still believe it is fuel delivery. It just sounds like it is starving for gas. but, I don't know about it not starting anymore