Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 30 Model A Hemi Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by primer31, Nov 1, 2008.

1. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

bub, thanks for the kind words about the coupe, and yeah his roadster is definitely coming along, he'll have it on the road before long looks killer. I'm gonna be back home for Christmas maybe we can suck down some beers.:D

2. crf500

crf500

hell ya i'll be ready!

3. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

Dont forget me

4. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

yeah, maybe we'll all have to get together and have a party

5. pecker head

pecker head

Looking suite ! 283's rock & are traditional as hell !

6. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

Well as fate would have it, my plans have changed. No more 283 for the coupe.I haven't done much to the coupe since Thanksgiving, due holidays, economy, work (been busy trying to stay busy), and working on a tranny swap in my sedan. Anyway, long story short, I couldn't sleep the other night and was checking out craigs list. And I spied a 354 hemi. It was on there a few weeks earlier, but the price was lower this time. So me and my buddy RatrodRoach went and checked it out. It was in a 55 f100, obviously hotrodded in the 60's or 70's? The seller was a ford guy and wanted to keep it all ford (his plans are for a side oiler 427 that he has). That was why he was selling the hemi. Also the workmanship on some things was kinda sketchy. Anyway, seller fired it up. It ran great. So now I'm the proud owner of a 56 354 chrysler hemi. I'm super stoked as they are cool as hell. But I don't know a lot about them, and have been reading up on a lot of the hemi tech on here (Thanks for taking the time to collect all of it scootermcrad). They more I read, the more I realize how little I know. Initial plans are to just run it as is (when I get that far) until budget allows for a rebuild. Here are a few pics of it.

Attached Files:

7. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

very, very cool. keep us posted.
    still waiting for my big score of a coupe find...

9. wow, i thought it would be cool with the 283, but the hemi is cooler! i dont know why some people think you should put a ford in a ford. thats street rodding to me. most old rods were powered by diffrent engines. im putting a ford in my bucket only cause thats what it came with. the chop looks great.

10. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

Greg said you fell on your head.

11. de-fenders

de-fenders

Nice haul, keep us updated as the coupe comes together.

12. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

Thanks guys, it just kinda came together. I wasn't seriously looking hard for a hemi, just sort of found it and decided the coupe needed one. I'll definitely keep you all posted on progress (however slow it may be)

v8bake, yeah I did, so what better way to recoup from my injuries and not being able to work than to spend money on hot rod parts! :D

13. S.F.

S.F.

14. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

sweet car good find... keep us posted/......

15. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Hell,he probably wants to break 60 and go farther than 5 miles from the house.

16. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i saw that hemi on craigslist.

17. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

I dont care how many people have done it...Chevrolet engines fucking rule! Period! I have had flatheads to 426 Hemi Chryslers and I think pound-for-pound you cant beat a good small block chevy for a little hot rod. People want to go different routes with nailheads and olds rockets and other nostalgia motors...but when it comes to the red light they usually get their doors blown off by a good-ol chevy! No offense to the other guys!:D

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

??

HA! That's funny.
    Something tells me your definition of a HOT ROD strictly fits in a 5 year time span.

19. Well, a lot of Camaros and Novas have seen Duster tail-lights in this part of the world anyway . . . you want cheap and fast? Try a 340 or 360 Mopar!

OahuEli likes this.
  20. B-Ray

B-Ray

awesome find and you can't go wrong with a Hemi I can't wait to see the rest of your build

21. Ghost28

Ghost28

cheap and fast Hell I dated her. Any way I used to run mopars and still would given the need. Most of mine were big blocks and would run hard against the big block chevys, And dust most of the small blocks. But as said before pound for pound you can't beat a chevy small block for running hard and consistant. but back to the HEMI. That is and would be my choice for this model A build. Way to go primer...John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  22. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

If I had to run a Mopar everyday...I would have to go with a 340! That is an amazing small engine! Has one in a 73 Charger one time and it pulled like a big block!

23. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

Well I have some update pics. I'm kinda slow at making any progress on the coupe. It's now a roller. Got the motor mounts welded in (thanks John). Next up tranny mount. Put in my tail lights, a little different from the norm.

Attached Files:

24. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Want more horsepower? Yer gunna build a whole new car. But thats cool too.

25. man i like what you got going on here. Looking good man

26. Ghost28

Ghost28

Very cool, I got the pic's. That engine and trans was made for that car.
    You are right gonna need bigger tires on the rear.

27. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

Thanks grits. Your coupe is totally bad ass, an inspiration and motivation for mine for sure. I've been following your build thread for awhile now.

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I like the direction your going with this ,going to be badass.you may need bigger rear tires

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

X3 on the rear tires. That car looks like it is going to be a blast to drive, subscribed.

30. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Nooooo! Perfect way to modernize/ruin a hot rod is puttin big tires on it. Don't change em. Aaron, you have a perfect '63-'64 look going. They weren't running tires any bigger than that on fuel cars back then, and those torq thrusts look killer on your car. I really dig the black with a red pinstripe too never seen that before and it really looks good with your choice of parts.:cool: No front brakes either ha! Balls of steel:D [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2011