Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Insane 58 Chevy (build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Insane 1, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Figured I've been here long enough (1999 first time I posted on this board) so thought I would contribute something.

I traded part of a shit-10 to Lowmaster for this 2 door, cause I've always liked 58 Chevys, and I knew I where two 4 door cars were sitting that I could use for parts. As you can see I'll have a lot of 4 door parts and if anyone wants to trade some good 58 stuff for 4 door stuff, let me know!!!!

Plus I kept the rebuilt 350 out of the s-10, and I needed to put it into something... right? :rolleyes:

Now w/that said I do not like chevy motors at all!!! I'd rather put a Ford in it (and might do it) but the S-10 had a rebuilt 350 that I keep so for now that is the plan, but.... things could change.

Plans will be a frame off, bagged, laying frame on whites w/chrome reverses. This will not be the fastest build so have patience.

Yea, I know its just a 2 door post, and I rather it be an Impala, but can't afford that so here goes, again.... I'm a Ford guy building a Chevy so it might get interesting! :D

Here's what it looked like when I first seen it. Had 1 piece bumpers, but they were not in the deal.
    [​IMG]

One more shot
    [​IMG]

The first parts car a Bel Air
    [​IMG]

The second parts car a Biscayne
    [​IMG]

Moving a car w/no front suspension by yourself and using only a floor jack sucks! But it's now in the shop.
    [​IMG]

Yea, that is the same reaction I get from everybody. [​IMG]

Guess someone was too lazy to unbolt the spindels?
    [​IMG]

This is just a big paper weight. Every hole was open and was filled w/dirt! I figured I'd pull parts off of it, but I don't know what I'm going to do w/it just yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As it stands so far.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. I Drag

I Drag

I can dig it.

3. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

cool post.... This is the state most scrap cars are in so will be interesting to see how it goes.. document how u remove the rust from things plz...

4. poorboy

poorboy

cool, im glad you're giving that car another chance

5. bluestang67

bluestang67

I remember riding in my brothers car a 58 Impala Convertable in 1971 at the age of 14 always wanted one myself but they have always been out of touch for me .

Cool deal you have going will be watching as you progress with it . Also 2 dr posts to me are just as cool as a Impala so keep it going .

6. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Thanks, and I will keep the build fairly detailed. Your right I was thinking about it today, there are a lot of cars that look bad at first, but if you really look at whats there they are pretty decent.

A couple of years ago this car would have gotten scraped w/out thinking twice, but really, it's very easy to fix one as long as you have the ability. I'd rather see someone build an old car than just junk it. I don't car how they build it as long as it can be enjoyed.

I should have taken pics of the 3 wheelbarrows (sp?) full of crap I shoveled out of it...yea, 3! And wait till you see the trunk channel that is rusted out!

To my suprise every thing has unboled w/out much issue. Only broke 2 bolts thus far, and neither mattered (shock bolts).

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Looks great , congrats!

8. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

I am appauled you called a s10 a "shit 10" some of us are s10 enthusiests as well. haha

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  9. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

first car was a 58 bel air

10. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I've been building custom trucks for a living for the last 15 years, and owned my share of s-10's as well, so it's just ment as a.... "friendly little stab". ;)

11. That ain't rusty at all. I turned down a free '58 Del Ray or Bel Air 2dr hardtop because when you opened the trunk there was nothing there, except for the springs and rear end sticking up out of the mud. The entire trunk pan, floors and frame were gone! It was like a model car kit body.

Looks like it should make for a nice build, anyhow -

12. One damned thing for sure you've got a project there. Myself, I like Bel Airs and Del Rays. As adamant as I am against puttin' a bellybutton motor in a Ford I sort of feel the same way here. I'd put a Cadillac in it if I wasn't gonna do a bellybutton. Would definitely be different though. I can just see a 514 Ford in there. You'd get a shit load of comments about it, that's for sure!

13. low49bowtie

low49bowtie

Cool man i luv the 58's. Go to it.

14. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Since you are a Ford man and don't like Chevy motors,go ahead and put a Ford motor in it. I guarantee when you pop the hood at an event there will be a crowd around it.A friend of mine did that and he has a ball showing off his. Besides there are way too many Chevy motors in hot rod Fords,LOL. Mine included.

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  15. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Kinda my thinking. There have been too many Chevys put into Fords, about time to turn that around. We'll see, not making any decisions just yet since I have this motor already. :confused:

No one would have built this car, so whatever I do will be an improvement.

16. Squablow

Squablow

That car isn't too bad by Wisconsin standards. Not a cream puff, but very fixable. And the parts cars you got will be your best friends while you're rebuilding it. Be sure to update as you make progress.

17. Hodad

Hodad

If you need inspriation on what is possible bring back a 58 impala.. check out the Hemming's Classic car from this summer.. there is a pristine example and a write up feature of it's restoration.. was the same or worse than your car and came out beautiful

18. lowmaster

lowmaster

If I wanted to practice bodyworking skills I should have kept this car. Insane just needed some more GM stuff over there anyway. I say put a mopar 318 in it, that will blow peoples minds!!! If anyone can fix it, he can!!! And, don't be talking trash about my new S-10, soon to be used in my own build on the HAMB!!

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i dig it glad your saving it i to like fords , but id toss the 350 in it and run the beast with the 2 four doors there should be enough to make a real smooth ride out of it , keep sending the photos ,

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

its funny all the norhtern guys think its in decent shape to start with

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I know where there's a '58 Chevy 2dr sedan (Bel Air or Del Ray, not sure which) in Euless, and not five minutes away in Hurst is a '58 Del Ray 4dr HT. If you're in Ennis, I could give you directions to both, lol!!

Good start you got there, looks like you got plenty of parts anyway. :D

22. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

318 Huh? You know I just happen to have one that I just pulled out......No, I can't even do that.

Plus I hate Dodge's starters.

Well, what are you waiting on w/yours??? Get started and let's see who finishes first!!!! (More than likely you) And I would never say anything bad about "your" S-10! That is one lovely......., besides what did you think the "S" stood for anyway? :D

While some might say it's not that bad, the issue is that it's only a post car. If it was an Impala, then this thing is cherry. I just hope mabey a few people will look at a car in this condition and give it a chance before scrapping it.

I will also keep a tally on the cost of the whole thing, so we can see what money will buy these days.

Wait till I start on my 57 Ranchero. Talk about rust!!!! That will be after this one. But nothing can be as in bad of condition as that 61 Impala conv, now that was bad!!

For now here are a few more pics of the 58.

Looks like this all the way around the trunk channel,.... thank god for 4-doors!!!!!! :D:D:D
    [​IMG]

This is the stuff that scares people, but not sure why?
    [​IMG]

Not pretty
    [​IMG]

Front of right rear quarter
    [​IMG]

Right rear quarter
    [​IMG]

23. WickedSlammy

WickedSlammy

phff that shit will buff out! Just slap some fiberglass in those holes, fix'em right up yes sir!

24. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Let me guess, you're one of them damn minitruckers aren't you? :D

Ok made a little progress...or not depending on how you look at it...well there is less car now anyway....

[​IMG]

I'm not done removing everything, it just got late, and I got tired of cutting. Still more to remove, but for now...
    [​IMG]

See why so drastic of a cut?? The rust was so bad under the back glass that removing it all was the only way.
    [​IMG]

After looking over the 2 parts cars I have this one has a pretty rust free trunk channel, and tulip (sp?)/ package tray area. Strange cause the other car is in better shape, but has a rusted trunk channel. This thing is way rough so nothing lost on cutting it up. I'll save every part worth saving on it in the end. The trunk floor was so bad on this one I knocked most of it out w/a hammer, along w/the gas tank.
    [​IMG]

I'm not going to use most of this, but to get to the bracing, and be able to graft it in to the other car the way I want, I just took the whole rear, and now I will start to widdle it down to get just the area I needed. You gotta love plasma cutters!

1 thing I did notice is that 4-doors have a c-frame at the back, and the 2 door has a boxed frame, I thought kinda strange.
    [​IMG]

More later!

25. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Wow! I admire your... Ummm,,, Gumption in tackling a project like that.

did you give any consideration to just unbolting the doors from the 2 door, and converting one of the [better] 4 doors into a 2 door?

26. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

nice project only WTF why did that person cut off the spindels :confused::confused::confused::confused:

RCD56 likes this.
  27. ot0_m0t0

ot0_m0t0

Check the Mexican Merc 50 thread to see a similar project, rust-wise ;)

28. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

The 2 door is the best of the 3.

29. Mike, that's coming right along!

BTW, the Plymouth wagon is going in for body and paint work next week! Then, it gets the 440!

30. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Cool man glad to see you doing something w/the old wagon, need to post some pics when it's done!

The longer I work on this 58 the lesser of a car I have.... Is lesser even a word??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.