Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new kustom shoebox build thread..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i decided to begin a fresh thread for the shoebox (i gotta stop calling it that at this point,,,,because it looks NOTHING like a shoebox anymore,,hahah,,,,thinking of calling her "La Ventura",,or maybe "Hypnotique",, kind of sounds like something they might have used for a name "back in the day".,,,.open to other suggestions)....

the car will not be a bubbletop,,,just had to explore that possibility though,,,,,
    i moved the olds quarters forward 3 1/2 inches..this made the proportions so much more pleasing i believe,,,,AND it takes some of the taper back out of the quarters, which it really needed,,,,,,,,i ditched the 56 lincoln hood i had planned on using as my deck area,,after weeks of consideration, i realized it just didnt work,,it was just too flat........luckily, i saved the shoebox sheetmetal, and i will be using a lot of that,,,the car is a two seater, so the deck and trunk will be extended (lengthened,,see pics),,,the crown in the ford metal just flows better than the lincoln sheetmetal...and it attaches to the bottom part of the roof much smoother than the lincoln panel would have,,,,thinking of reconfiguring the windshield to look more like a 57 caddy, olds, pontiac, etc,,,,coming to more of a point as it wraps (see masking tape in pics)....the entire car will sit approx two inches lower than it is now..

here is a list of all the mods so far: started with a shoebox ford coupe,,,,,,,,

56 lincoln headlights, 55 caddy bumpers, 50 merc grille shell, custom made front rolled pan, custom rear rolled pan, body sectioned two inches, 56 olds wheel openings, 56 olds quarters (exhaust will exit via the backup light openings), 53 buick side trim, tapered doors, pie sectioned quarters, louvered hood, 53 caddy caps, wraparound windshield, etc, etc,,

my goal with the car is to give it the look of a factory concept car, or 50s motorama car.....a sort of "rocketship" vibe...

almost time to buy stock in welding wire, guys...:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I'm back into it, for a minute there you were getting a bit too wacky. Nice going.

Between you and Flop, my stocks are gonna be on the rise very soon...

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

4. Squablow

Squablow

I was thinking of a name a little more artsy space-agey, something like Metalsalad Partsmotron or the '50 Calibur Evolver.

What is the new plan for the roof? Don't leave me hangin'.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i think its gonna be pretty much he way you see it,,,,the rear section of the roof will most likely be upholstered, and the center section will be removeable (similar in a way to the barris aztec roof),,,i may add a center section to divide the roof panel in two,,,

6. twochops

twochops

Jim -- this might work for the top.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

that would look really nice too,,but im probably gonna go with what i mentioned above....

8. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Yea sure, Jim...haha

It looks like you're zeroing in on what you're looking for now...awesome!

9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i know,,hahah:)...
    actually it's getting very close....

10. JEPPA

JEPPA

I was thinking of your hood and how it has a peak were as the bottom of the windshield has a subtle arch. Would useing a '54 merc hood scoop help meet that line? Of course, you would loose all those wonderful louvers.

[​IMG]

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

for some reason,,im being really stubborn about using that louvered hood,,,,some guys have said that the rest of the car is so smooth, and it would look better with a smooth hood,,or that a concept car wouldn't have one,,,BUT i just plain LOVE it,,,,,i just feel like i have to use it for some reason unknown even to myself,,:),,,,,,,,,its ironic too,,because thats really the ONLY part left that even resembles a shoebox,,,,go figure,,hahah..

12. rodknocker

rodknocker

The way I see your past few months of threads is.....you got ingaged,(to a shoebox)went out and had your last blasts of freedom(I wonder if she'll like it from behind), and now you're ready to settle down and make some lasting memories(I think I'm gonna love her forever).

I can't wait to see it done.

13. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Dont take this the wrong way, this thing is AWESOME
    It might just be me...
    OK, imagine that car is a tin toy....
    it looks a little like someone put it over their Knee and bent it in the middle? it sort of drops away a bit too much in the back? it might be the conflicting tape and trim and different colours, or maybe not.
    just trying to be constructive, the 'line ' looks a little off to me.

14. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahaha,,,im starting to think its the camera....and possibly the fact that the bottom of the rocker panels arent clearly visible,,,,but it looks way better in person,,,,ill push her outside and get some nice shots one of these days,,but i totally understand where you're coming from...

15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

could one of you photoshoppers lower the car approx two inches PLEASE...?

16. thesupersized

thesupersized

not as good as the other people around here...but here is about 2inches or so lowered...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks very much,,,,looks just fine to me,,

18. VanHorton

VanHorton

lookin good jim, i really like how your really dialing it all in now... one of these days ill get over and see it in person...

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang Jim... seriously, you have to have some big ol' huevos to tackle a project like this... or you are on the verge of insanity?? hahahaha

Really though, I can see the final car, and you have an eye for a really cool car!

20. you've got my favorite hubcap on there, i have several. but, i think they're too old for that radical of a kustom. needs something newer with some hand made touches or color chrome maybe.

21. BBobb

BBobb

Got a quick question for Kustom.I am using the 53 buick trim on my 1950 Buick and the problem i have run into is the gap at the top right side of the sweep piece ......what are you going to do with that area.A few pointers would be great

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

mine doesnt have a gap,,,could you post a picture of what you mean?,,,,i just have to shorten my door piece about 1/2", and the fender spear apout 16" or so,,,is yours too short?..not exactly sure what you are trying to figure out,,,

23. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

haha,,on the verge????????/im already gone,,,,:)

24. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Jim,
    Now I gotta track another one of your threads?
    Can We just delete the old ones??? LOL

Looking good bud and thanks for putting it out there for us all to see.

N

25. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

haha,,yup..thats why i started a new one,,the old one was getting too tedious...
    its a lot of fun posting the progress,,,and it helps motivate me to get more done.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

so any progess pictures?..Lets see how far you are..:cool:

27. Some good choices with the shoebox rear deck. Are you finally coming to some sort of final look because I like where it is now?

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i know some folks will say "yeah, sure"...but im very close now....i swear..hahah:)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008

29. HAHAHA. I will believe it when I see it.:D

30. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

see.....i told you.................................:)