Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sectioned Chopped Shortened '52 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Hotrod - BC, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Hey there, new to the hamb. Just rolled my '52 Chevy outside for the first time in bare metal. Snapped a few pics. This car has no lead or filler on it. Sectioned 6". Chopped 5.5" front, 6.25" rear. Shortened 6" behind the doors. Sitting on a '78 Malibu floor plan and chassis. Usually build hotrods. This is my first full on custom. Whatcha think? :cool:

Attached Files:

2. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

Look'n good.
    Just did mine not to long ago, dig the grille :)

3. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

holy chit i like it . its out of the norm. lots of work youve done there. looks good

4. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

Wow! Very impressive work. That's one fine custom. Welcome to HAMB.

5. Choppa

Choppa

Hey Johnny, it's lookin' good! It should be a knockout when it's finished.
    Chopper

6. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

WOW that looks killer! love the wheels and tires

more pix

7. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

is that a big rig cam in the grill?

8. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

i never really like sectioned 50s chevs but yours looks good.nice work

9. yeah, the grill bar is a 425 cat camshaft out of my buddies highway truck. One lobe slightly damaged. '55 Chevy dash. Full air ride. Slated to have inverted '39 Lincoln tail lights.

10. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

SWEET!! What color do ya have in mind for it?? For some reason a dark candy green is in my head for it.

11. dark candy green would be cool. Im thinking candy bright red or maybe gold.

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn your good. i like that ride.i dont usually like the early 50s chevys but that one looks GOOD. man with all the talent i see on the hamb, if we could all get under one roof could you imagine the rides that would come out of that shop!!! i cant think of any words that that descibes the talent here. maybe awesome,damn i love seeing peoples work on the hamb.sorry i was starting to rant. back to you. good work i like it. alot. cant wait to see more as it progresses.

13. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Very nice...I really dig those coupes,and yours looks great with the chop and section......but ya got me worried.....is that the final stance ?:eek:.....I'd sure like to see it leveled out.....But don't take any shit from me, Welcome to the board,we're neighbors,I'll see ya on the road...........;)

14. sledish

sledish

Killer metal work.

15. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Did you have to extend the wheels base on that chassis?

16. Shortened 6 inches? wow. I can't say I've ever seen a car that has been shortened that I liked until now.

Nice work.

17. This will be the stance it will have.The back end cant go down any further due to the section . The top of the rear tire is a half inch from the inside of the top of the quarter. The tire has nowhere to go except through the top of the fender. Hmmm,

18. the car was shortened to match up with the malibu's floorpan and wheelbase also with a 6" chop the roof would've had to have been lengthened 6".So I cut the roof off shorten body 6" welded the roof back on and it was a near perfect match

19. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Gotcha. That's a G body frame right?
    Does the rear spring perches and upper control arm mounts cut into the rear seat area any?
    Or is that not a problem with the original pan?
    Did you use the original grill surround or fab up a new one to mold it in?

20. Wow!

Very cool, but I reckon the tyres are too tall and aren't quite in proportion with the rest of the car due to the shortening and section.

Amazing workmanship though. Wow again! :)

21. Yes G body. This particular donor was a 78 malibu wagon so the rear floor is a bit different.There is no spring perches its coils .The floorpan is stock other than 8" off the rear. I even used the stock rear seat with stock lower mounts.

22. Coming from the hot rod world Ive got to have my big n littles.I guess this look is what I would call hot rod custom

23. schaefer

schaefer

Looks awesome! I can't wait to see this car!

24. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

That turned out great! with the amount of section, and chop the shortening brings the profile all together.
    I like the rake and the grille
    not a fan of the column and steering wheel though..

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I bet a lot of people are going to like it. Are you going to paint it a darker or lighter color? Gary

26. DRD57

DRD57

I like it. Good proportions. I'm not too excited about the cam/grille bar.

Was that a sedan or coupe?

27. Vudu

Vudu

Whoa! That thing is badass! Nice work. I really dig the melding of hot rod and custom. The chrome reverse really give it the right attitude to pull that off. That took some vision to be able to take so many huge slices out of the car and still have it work.

Just my 2¢ but it almost looks like it could use another 6" to 8" of shortening but this time behind the rear wheels. Since the rear needs to sit at the height it's at due to the sectioning, as you've mentioned, it gives it a hot rod rake yet to my eye the length of the rear (emphasized by the sectioning) makes me think tail-dragger kustom. I just did a crude Photoshop shortening of the profile pic to see what it looked like. Like I said, just my 2¢...it's your ride and even if you didn't change a thing it's WAY cool.

Looking forward to seeing additional photos as it progresses.

Attached Files:

28. That's cool if it's the look you're after. I think in bare metal it emphasises the wheels for some reason. Would love to see it in a dark colour, would change the whole look, but it's too late over here for me to crank up the Photoshop.

Someone get busy with some colour choices, will ya! :)

29. Plowboy

Plowboy

That's cool! I dig it.

30. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Badass car.....new category "Hot Custom Rod"