Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Turkey Run photos (Bel Air plaza)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Kevins89notch5.0

Kevins89notch5.0
    from Orlando

2. aceuh

aceuh

I was there all day thursday - saturday and you still posted pics of cars that I didn't see! That's me bent over checking out the interior of the 54 in that shot by the way. I walked so much my legs are still hurting! We kept talking about all the people we saw riding the handicap scooters around who didn't need em.....I bet all those people aren't bitchin about their legs hurting today though.

3. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I remarked the same thing all weekend about the hundreds of people on rascal scooter things! When did people get so lazy? I even saw a kid on one! It is one thing to be old and crippled and need one and another thing entirely to be lazy!

Also, why can people not price their cars that they have for sale? That has to be the most annoying thing ever. There were TONS of cars down there for sale (at the show and the plaza) that just said for sale and a phone number, stupid!

4. Worse than PoS, this thing was a candidate for the "Death On Wheels Award". I saw it at the Bel-Air Plaza. The mail box for an air intake was a "nice touch".

5. Welcome to FL Megan! If you sit in ANY parking lot long enough, you can watch everybody who has a friend who is a Dr. park in the handicapped spaces... Then again, it is a 2.5 mile track... They rent them scooters to solve the problem of people driving high powered motorized barstools and gi-nourmous golf carts through the swap meet. I'm a fat guy with bad knees, so I just load up on Aleve and walk until I can't.

The folks with For Sale and a phone number aren't really going to sell unless you REALLY want it...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. Kevins89notch5.0

Kevins89notch5.0
    from Orlando

I will be the first to admit, I'm young, only 25, but my feet were hurting before we even got to the plaza. If they were renting out those scooters for a fair price(I didn't see where, nor how much they were), I would have grabbed one.

I read an article about the strip in Vegas, and how long its getting. They were saying scooter renters are sharply increasing with the perfectly healthy but to its size.

7. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I have a bad back I do the same thing load up on Alieve, there is a guy there who makes and sells coolers that a motorized, last year I came a nats ass away from buying one, there were a tad over $500, I didn't buy it, didn't want to spend that kind of $$ on such an item, but hours later when I was crawling to see more of the show, I told myself I was stupid for not buying one! .lol Your legs hurt for days after the show. lol

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You must mean the flames on that 1938 Chevrolet, don't you?
    There are no 42s of any kind in those pics.

10. I'm almost ready to collect Social Seurity and I'm not gonna' cave in to riding a scooter. Yep, my feet hurt from almost non-stop walking for three days. Hurt enough that I had to put an ACE bandage on my left ankle Saturday.

But, I'm a firm believer that the scooters should be for the real handicapped folks. The ones that were dealt a bad hand in this life, but are still trying to enjoy the swap meets and shows.

I can cure my problem by losing about 40-50 lbs. Others, aren't so lucky. They might not have a cure.

11. aceuh

aceuh

The shot on the highway of the mailbox scooped shopping cart seating car was the only one I took. In all honesty I didn't really even look at it that closely while at the plaza. I can't attest to weather or not it was a safely built "art car" or a death trap. I feel that if you're building a car it should be built using safe practices and with an intent for it to be safe for the driver, passengers and anyone else on the road. I know cars of this type are generally frowned upon, shunned and generally discouraged on this forum. That's fine, they're not what this board is about. I do find it amusing that someone can take a bunch of parts and garbage that no one else wanted (or had enough sense not to use) and put it together to make something that attracts the kind of crowd some of these cars do. Sometimes, yes, they're unsafe and not fit for anything except to be shoved on and off of their prospective trailers. I've seen others that get driven reguarly for long distances without a single glitch. I don't know if they attract so much attention due to their uniqueness or if it's the old "car crash syndrome". You know it's bad...but you can't help but look. Maybe one day we'll all look back and think "remember when people thought that shit was cool?" and just be glad that it's behind us.

12. aceuh

aceuh

I did kinda dig the motorized coolers! I liked em but I'm not paying the $600 that they wanted for em. I've got a bud that works on motorized wheelchairs, I'm gonna see if he can hook me up with enough parts to build one. :D

13. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I have wintess scooter rage/abuse first hand. Last year at the GNRS some clown ran into me 'at speed' :D and didn't even apologize!

[​IMG]

14. Finktim

Finktim

Man, great pictures! Thanks for posting those! I was there in the vending area Friday and Saturday, but unfortunately I never got to venture out into the field. I did get to check out some of the cars as we drove in and out and when I ran to get lunch. That black Corvette Gasser was a standout for sure! I took this shot of Sonny outside our garage vending area....
    [​IMG]
    We got to meet some great folks over the course of the weekend, and several of the HAMB guys came up and introduced themselves! Thanks for stopping by! Check out this sculpture by Kerry from the Salvagers CC! This thing is just awesome! We had several people ask us if it was a Grabowski piece! I hope to get him to make me one of these things next year before he gets too famous!! Hell of a lot of work, and it sold on Saturday! Lucky bastard! :D
    [​IMG]
    We had enough room to get Sonny's wagon in behind us. REal crowd pleaser. We had multiple assholes scratching at the hood to see if "it was a decal". Unbelievable.....
    [​IMG]
    The weather was great on Friday and Saturday, but I'm glad as hell we didn't show Sunday because it got miserable!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again for posting all the great pictures of everything we missed! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  15. long island vic

long island vic

dont figure just because someone looks good it doesnt mean that they are... i love walking any meet ,but i load up on viks and speed, not that i want to but cause my knees and heart aren,t the ones i wanted....i would love to use a skooter but i leave them for the guys that have it worst then me,,,maybe next year ill need them...........

16. Almost ready? Almost ready? I am drawing SS and have been for nearly 3 years and I walked until I was about to drop. Like you I could loose 30# and would be a lot better and I'll never, ever go to one of these things again with out my Nike's! Never! Never! .. My legs would start hurtin' way down there on the west end and then I'd get a call or something and have to go back to the car which was waaaaaay down on the east end .. But, damn, it was fun ....

17. aceuh

aceuh

Forgot that this was still on the camera.
    [​IMG]
    That's ice forming across the top of my windshield on the way home.
    Much rather still be in Daytona.

18. Pscott

Pscott

Does anybody else think the front tires are backwards? :confused: Or is it the rear tires? Thanks to all who posted pics!

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

In all the yerars I've been going to the TRR I have never once gone to Bel Aire Plaza

20. Is it just me, or did all Kevins photos go blank?

21. Unless you go in the middle of the afternoon you can't get in there. Is one crowed place. I can't believe nobody got a picture of that white COE in there. It was so friggin' cool.

22. 31modelo

31modelo

Have gone for 13 years to TRR and just last year went to Bel Aire for the first time. Nads your not missin a thing.

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I feel like heading back there this weekend to get out of the Ohio cold even though nothing car related will be going on and will take my Harley this time,it was getting repaired after a young lady on a cell phone bumped me and I checked on it the saturday before I left Ohio and they could not tell me it was done. Well I get home and a note from my mom saying the dealer called and it was done when I was up there,I would of loved to have it with me to ride around when I was down there but there is next year. Jeff

24. kruzr

kruzr

Thanks for the pics....great job.:D
    How many cars you figure attended ?

25. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

That car has drag radials on the front. That is Odd, I wonder how it drives?

26. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I'm thinking about 4600 cars in the show dont know bout the car corral Gregg

27. richie rebel

richie rebel

good job on all the great pics richie...............................

28. daren

daren

So is there any nightime cruisin the strip in Daytona, any pics. I might be planning on going to this show next year if this is the case. I like the show and the swap but just love nightime activities like cruisin.

29. cretin

cretin

Looks like there was alot of cool stuff but alot of crap too. Was probably pretty fun though

Haha, so did you pay to take this pic or what?

30. hammerd 50

hammerd 50
    from SOUTH GA

thats my car . It has the original strait eight and 3 speed trans . It has air bag sus. With a 2 link and 8" step notch in the rear and flipped spindels up front also allum air tank and 2 viair 480 comps. Smc 3/8 valves. Dp 90 primer paint job and dry rotted white walls.