Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 chevy full sheet metal kit car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31ratcoach, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jr2

jr2

Nice to see this thread 31ratcoach!

I've had a '31w Coupe for a while but as time has gone on I have come to the realization that it's a little too far gone to be a quick project. It's pretty rotten down below.
    [​IMG]

So when I found this on my local Craigslist I couldn't turn it down!!
    '29 Chevy 3w Coupe. Completely unmolested. Original Arizona car NO RUST! This will be a lot easier project than the '31!
    [​IMG]

I plan on using parts from the '31 for the '29 and seeing what's leftover when I'm done.

Stick with the Chevy's boys!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

sure ill come by toddster were are you located in missouri also i picked up a 1930 dash will that matter any

3. mx6262

mx6262

That thing is as hot as a hand full of snot!!

4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Holden MO 64040 816 305 5079

5. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I am wondering if anyone knows where i can find a roof for my 32 5 window chevy and a rear half of the car i need from the outside of the rear window back as mine was cut up for some reason and was not done correctly.As for the roof i only need the roof from the top of the door opening up.I also am looking for a windshield and frame.

6. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

ive been looking at the rollup window idea and i would like to put it in but i just dont know if i wanna mes with all that would it be a project killer if i ust put in a stationary window or should i go the distance and put the window in, also im gonna go full glass and make the rear side glass roll down instead of leaving them stationary,what do you guys think ,over the last two weeks all i can think of is ideas for my car,also i found me a set of decent doors for $300 each pluss shipping i think its a little high but what do you guys think

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

hey ratcoach I think I misunderstood about the windshield height. the metal you see in the picture is a stock panel that hides the crank mechanism for the front windshield. I will be putting the crank back in mine. but if you seal up your windshield you would not need that large of a filler which would give you more windshield height...GHOST

8. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Hey Ghost are you putting a v-12 in that thing? I like what I see there! The front frame really looks long????

9. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Hey Nash thanks for the Roll up info I need parts to complete mine

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

Naw its just the picture. wondered when someone would notice. did move the firewall back 4 inches just in case I find a big block, and also to move the radiator and engine back to allow for the condenser, and grille insert I made... this so I wont have to use the radiator as part of the grille dont trust all those rocks flying around...Is yours a 31 body without the visor...GHOST

11. Ghost28

Ghost28

Hey slickster I like 32 chevys. my last coupe I built was 5 window. converted to a 3 window. I even made the doors longer, and suicide hinged them. shoulda kept that one. try to post the pics of what you do have...GHOST

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  12. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

13. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

No my visor is painted and hanging over the walk-in door of my shop, maybe I won't lose it that way. I am going to do something about a grill/rock guard too. My girlfriend is kinda complaining about NO A/C so I need to figure out something about a AC condensor ??? Under the car??

14. thads31

thads31

Steve,
    Do you have pictures of the parts you need? You need the whole rear half of the car?

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I pieced together Ac for my '29 pickup, condenser is back under the bed in front of the gas tank with electric radiator fan. People are constantly challenging my assertion that I have AC. You can't see any of it except the compressor on the motor and switches on-under edge of dashboard. The evaporator is behind the seat.

16. jerseymike

jerseymike

great looking so far. i also have a 28 2dr sedan waiting in the wings. glad you saved the original firewall, i love the design of them. was wondering what you are going to do to replace the bodyline where you welded the seams together. i plan on replacing all the wood with steel tubing and have been wondering how to redo that bodyline. any ideas? thanks, mike

17. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Well I'm on the same page as you are There is a ton of room under the dash for the Evap That's in the future some day, I'd just like to do a roadtrip right now, oh wait it's 30 degrees, maybe in April!

18. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Valkokir, I think my 31 is different a little bit, are the 29 thru 31 the same ? I have a new board, just looking for a couple of gears, I'll post a pic if anyone needs to see what a new wood board looks like.

19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Ghost I have a lot of BBC motor parts if you just have to have a BBC:cool:

20. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

To be honest I have no idea, I just know to avoid the one's with bevel gears unless you want to shell out the bucks for new stainless gears. My original regulator had much coarser teeth than the one pictured. I picked this one up as a replacement, all other dimensions are identical; it was billed as a '28 regulator but I have no way of confirming that, the handle that came with it was a '28 though. I'm speculating that my car may have been a very early production '28. There are several parts which I have found replacements for that are definitely redesigned and improved.

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Gears and mechanisms are slightly diff, but they fit in the same sized space, lift loops on the windshield glass are same distance apart so you can adapt anything from 27 thru 32. Whatever gear set you end up with you can make your own board.

22. mink

mink
    from CT

I am all ears for any fab ideas for making my 32 chevy window roll up. Id have to make a windshield frame, and ......
    Im missing everything and havingbad luck finding any original mechanism.

23. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yea that body line was the only thing missing out of all those pieces. what I have done on other projects was to bend tubing of the same size as the missing body line. and then slice it in half. rather time consuming. On this one I will most likely do the same thing. but take it to the back edge of the body before the sharp bend. and just contour it down to join up with lower line and finish it there. just body work the rest of the seam. I used three quarter square tubing bent lightly in my vise for the inner structure. and where the curves got tight I used three quarter round tubing in those areas...GHOST

24. Ghost28

Ghost28

Hey thanks for the offer. but with the money flow the way it is I better keep this project on budget. besides small blocks in a car this size just looks cooler. but I will save your offer I might want a heavy breather big block in another project...GHOST

25. Ghost28

Ghost28

I was trying to post this yesterday. dont think it went through for some reason. anyway my condensor will be placed behind the grille guard. thats why I moved the firewall back it will be all black in the grille area should be able to hide it. your car is a lot further along than mine. under the car might be wise as long as you get enough air through it with the air on. heres a picture of the grille and insert its still rough...GHOST

Attached Files:

26. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Ghost That is really a cool grill it is different than my 31 or 32 whatever it is, Keep me posted on the progress, It is going to be the Cats Ass when you are done. A friend of mine down in NC has built a revell from 1/2 square tubing or 3/8 round and then leaded it and shaped it. He spread lead at GM for 35 years and is the best I've seen. I have enough BBC parts I don't think I'll run out before I pass on, so no big hurry!

27. It's a '28 grille

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm not working for him! but if you missed it in previous post you might try Gary Wallace he sells old chivvy parts and the windshield riser mechanisms. 600 Susan Road St . Louis, Missouri 63129 (314) 293-1991.
    E-Mail [email protected] <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

29. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I called him yesterday and he is out of town I left a msg for him thanks for the contact!
    I got a call from Gary Wallace yesterday, he priced the gears/kit @$195.00 or $225 depending on the parts you have, meaning he wants the drive gear that the handle fit onto for a core. That's a bunch of change, has anyone else purchased this from him? Does it work? I think the front windshield gasket is around a $100. This 1931 Air Conditioning is getting pricy! Thanks, oh ratcoach, 30-31 doors are the same on all body styles, 29 different I think?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  30. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

got a lead on one of my doors that i need will a door off a 31 fit my 29 if so that be great