Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 chevy full sheet metal kit car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31ratcoach, Nov 30, 2008.

1. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

just thought i put up some photos of my new find, i found it setting in a feild covered in wild rose bush,its a 1929 chevy 2 door sedan coach,sombody took this car appart 100% but all the pannels are in good shape,and the frame is rust free and in great shape ,sombody started sompthing from what i can gather they tryed making a truck cab or a 2 door coupe outta the original body ,they cut the 1/4s off it the roof has been cut up but everything is there except drivers side door,and the front window post,even got all the running gear, and what did i pay for this "sheet metal kit car" i traded a .380 hi-point hand gun worht about $100 not a bad trade in my eyes questions is were should i start body of get the frame,motor and trany in it what do you guys think
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

photos are in my profile i cant get them to load sry

3. I would start by trying to fit all the sheet metal together, and figure out what you want the car to look like. I am currently building a 30 chev 2 door sedan, and it is relatively easy to put the metal together without any wood, but you have to find out where the body is going to sit on the chassis, and the look that you are going for before you put motor mounts and suspension ect in the car. A big ? is how much to ( channelled, or chopped, ect.) You could very easily make a pick up out of it, or even a 5 window but you need to figure out what look you are going for before you start. If you don't have a vision, it is really hard to put a car together from scratch. Good luck, and have fun!

4. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

trust me i have a vision,im gonna do a 3"chop in the rear 5" chop in the front, go back to a sedan body,channel it 5"-6" what ever it takes to hide the frame rails,but theres so much to start with i just dont know were is the best place to start im gona do all steele structure instead of wood ,so i should start with the body and get a some what complete cab assembled then chop & channel it then get the body on the frame and start mocking for suspension and motor

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

I am building a 28 sedan came the same way blown apart. started with the body panels for the chop then tacked or bolted all the body panels together. then rebuilt the hinge mounting points on the doors. bolted the doors to the a piller then tacked it all together. then started on the steel substructure once it became solid. was able to open the doors with no sag. used all the stock latch hardware, and window hardware. decided to make a sedan delivery so made rear door from the back of the body. so far so good. hope this helps. by the way with all the wood gone. thats all you have left is the metal panels. i kinda like them that way...ghost

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  6. Ghost28

Ghost28

pics coming

Attached Files:

7. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

lookd great need any parts or got any spare stuff and by any chance would you make a cardboard template of your front window post/frame i dont have a frame and cant find one so i was gonna fab one up id compinsate you for your time

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I like that, have you decided on motor/front suspension, now that the heavy lifting is out of the way?

I built my '29 pickup from derelict sheetmetal from a 4 door sedan. It's channelled 2",
    250 L6 motor with carburetor twice, juice brakes, rack/pinon steering.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  9. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Man! You've got a lot of work ahead of you!

The way 'Ghost 28' did his, by getting it all lined up, tacked together, and then building a full metal structure inside, is awesome!

Here's mine. I just got it on Friday. It's a '30 2-dr sedan, with a later '36 6-cyl. engine. One website listed the engine block as a '36, 206 c.i. but, I don't know. Maybe a 216. I don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet.

Anyway, have fun with that!

[​IMG]

10. There was no windshield frame,it's a roll up window. One revolution raised it so the dash directed the air to the floor,two raised it for full "Air Conditioning".:D Here's my 29 Coach so you can see what they look like mocked together. Also a couple wood structure pics(not mine)may help understand the framing of the body. Also added a picture of a cool racecar.

Attached Files:

11. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

sweet thatnks for the help i know about the roll up window i guess i might of missed named the parts that i need , i need the parts that suport the roof to the cowl the a pillars is what i think they should have been called , im gonna do a 350sbc or 400sbc and a 700r4 for drivability with a ford 9" i want it to look nise with a good stance but i still wanna drive it across country to some god guy shows and what not

12. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

also what years had the roll up front window and what years will parts interchange to a 29

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

The rollup mechanism was basically the same on 27 to 31.
    Gary Wallace sells the windshield riser mechanisms. 600 Susan Road St . Louis, Missouri 63129 (314) 293-1991. E-Mail [email protected] <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Your missing pillars might be rare to find, might have to fab them.

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

When I did my 29 pickup I suicided the doors, to do that I fabbed pillars from oak and later covered with sheetmetal facaad. After framing it up, I had windshield cut the size of the hole,mounting the riser mechanism on the back of that top board. Then when it was all built I modified the doors to fit the pillars. crappy picture, but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

15. Glad to see that there are some chevys still out there, seems like all you hear about are fords. I have looked for a long time to find a chevy, and until recent there seemed to be none around. Mine is chopped 6.5 inches and channeled 3, and when I pie cut the frame to step it, so that it still looks stock, I was able to get a four inch step out of it. I too tacked all the sheet metal together and got the body lines to match up and then started building the inner structure. Here is a pic from a little while back.

Attached Files:

16. Ghost28

Ghost28

thanks... ratcoach dont believe that I need any parts. and dont have a problem with making a patern for you. are you missing the whole upper cowl frame, and header. might be able to take a close up pictures and include measurements. for you to study...ghost

17. Ghost28

Ghost28

thanks...29nash. I have a low mileage 400 small block and turbo 350 trans or 700 r have not decided on the trans yet. 9 inch ford out of a early bronco 68 I believe. going to use a 32 ford cross member and a complete pete and jakes front end, hair pins, vega box, cross steer, and 4 inch dropped axle. wanted to un clutter the front end ...GHOST I also wanted to say I like your pickemup nice job.

18. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

that would be great also i put another post up about welding the seams on the upper body to the lower body were all the little nail holes are do the two pannels get over lapped or do i butt weld them ,

19. Ghost28

Ghost28

What I did was included them into the chop harber freight makes a inexpensive air power flanging tool. that puts a 3 eights flanged lip on the metal. then I used small nuts and bolts to hold the overlapped metal together. then slowly lap welded the panels together to control warpage. the body panels normally are nailed together with a sixteenth to eighth inch gap between for the trim piece to nail through long story short lap weld. figure this into your chop...GHOST

20. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

great thats what i was gona do just didnt wanna make a bad decision that id regret,i gotta post the photos of the welds this guy did he butt welded all the back half of the car but used a stick weld and 90% of the weld didnt take it just made well atached popcorn welds the passenger side was ok but its almost a full bead on the driver side big nightmare lotta grinding its one of them should have learned to weld befor buying a project like this,also ill post photos of the so called boxed in frame thank god for a plasma cutter is all i gotta say,also were can i find a good tank for my rig what did you use

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

This is cool as hell..dont get to see many chevy's of this era..and built into Rods..way cool

22. Ghost28

Ghost28

Well heres the drawings of the windshield. frame, and posts. I included the upper portion of the windshield where the crank connects. the drawing is not the greatest and I might of missed something. hopefully not. p.m. me with your adress and I will mail the drawing to you good luck. I put a picture of what my sedan looked like when I started. YOU CAN DO IT...GHOST

Attached Files:

23. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

cool projects guys, starting to get into the body on mine while thinking up my next devious plan for the frame. Where to begin... what a mess.

24. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

like they say its only yours if you build it and well that i am gonna do so i guess its must be mine

25. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

thanks ghost for the photos they realy help,only one question did you add metal to the roof right above the front window sompthing just dont look right from other 29s ive seen and the visor looks smaller ,the window frame looks like it might have got choped wrong like its lowere than the doors might just be me though

26. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yea I added metal from a donor car. used to have a heavy drop off where the fabric met the visor. decided to flatten this area a little bit. this caused a more severe slope to the roof line made it look more chopped in the front and yes i did chop the complete roof 2 and three eights inches. because of the the thickness of the upper windshield frame where the crank sets and the way the dash mounts the windshield size will be alot smaller. I had to lower my dash down one inch to get more windshield size and to line it up with the door garnish moldings. and yes this a 28 chevy but most of it should apply. I did not add any metal to the windshield frame at all but i did thicken the tip of the visor with round tubing. it was too thin and I am not puttin fabric back on the roof so I wanted to beef it up hope this helps.. KEEP ALL THIS IN MIND ON THE HEAVY CHOP UP FRONT ON YOURS...GHOST

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  27. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Hey Rat, get in your car and come to my shop this weekend and look at mine it will answer a 1000 questions for you

Tolcon likes this.
  28. snelson57

snelson57

Hey 34 toddster - Looks great. I am building a 29. Can you tell me what you used for your front end set-up to get that height?

Dearched springs? MAS axle? If so, how many inches drop?

Attached Files:

29. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thanks it was more work to get this far than I thought it would be. Dropped the axel about 5 inches and reversed eye spring, I've driven it in the city but not the hiway yet, I'd do a MAS axel if I needed to, this axel was dropped 20 years ago by a guy in KC ,long gone I think, If I was starting with nothing I'd use a Ford dropped and a 32 Ford front crossmember etc. Good luck on your ride looks good so far

30. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

My eyes!!!