Register now to get rid of these ads!

Colorado Drag Racing Pictures Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 19, 2008.

1. BobG

BobG

That's Thunder Road too... I raced there in the 70's just about every weekend

2. BobG

BobG

Great shots guys

3. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

that would be cool......

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Agreed...CDR's bleachers were built into the side of the hill...Bandimere's would be as well...

R-

5. colorado51

colorado51

Seems like there has been a lot of interest in old Colorado drag racing lately....strange.

Anyway, maybe check over at http://www.coloradodragracing.com/index.php , maybe some of the older guys might remember.

6. colorado51

colorado51

That was Mitch Mustard, wasn't it? I remember that car too.

7. colorado51

colorado51

When I worked at Kenz-Leslie, I used to take orders from F&M for parts!

F&M was a cool little shop.

BTW, Randy and Donny still run F&M (it is in Arvada now), although it is pretty much just a machine shop how, although they have some cool old stuff laying around.

I use them a lot for engine builds, I just had them build me a set of Dart heads a few months ago.

8. colorado51

colorado51

Well, while we are on the subject, do you guys remember Tom "The Bomb" Cobb and his white Opal GT?

Ichoptop & I saw his Opel sitting on a trailer next to a garage in Wheatridge a few years ago. The car was fully intact and unchanged from its racing days, and it was for sale. I wonder what ever happened to it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  9. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I have a recollection of a bad white Opel that jumped all over the Track, but don't remember whose it was-

I have been trying to find out what happened to Gary Seyfried, who had a screaming '67 small block Camaro-it had a very Physchedelic Paint job on it from Stan's Signs-anybody remember him?

10. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I don't know but I sure dig that car. I helped campaign a BBC Camaro back in the early 80's and several times it came down to us and Mustard.

Either way I was happy because even if we lost to it (which happened a lot) I liked that car so much I was OK with the lose. I didn't let the boss know I felt that way and I didn't dare go over to their pit when the boss was around....even though that car sure called to me.

As much as we went up against it, I can't remember the driver/owners name.

11. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Wasn't the track in Erie named Mountain View?

12. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Some more from CDR.

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  13. BobG

BobG

Oh yea... Tom the Bomb I remember seeing him show up with his home built motorhome, he pulled in the pits and the back opened up and the car was inside.

14. BobG

BobG

Heres a picture of Doug Jordans nitro Funny Car on display at F&M and it running the year before at Bandimere with the Jolly Rancher sponsorship

Attached Files:

15. BobG

BobG

Here is a few more Colorado cars... including my Super Comp altered at the Mile High Nationals in 87 and the same car with the Firestar Monza body on it.
    Jim Rodabaugh and I ran the red dragster
    Frank Estes in the orange 55
    Mick Mackey in the Mackey Bros. Top Fuel car

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  16. tomslik

tomslik

my mistake, it was "mustard III"

from august 93, Bracket Racing USA mag
    hope i don't get into deep shit for this;)

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  17. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

last time i was at bandimere the bleachers were on the mountain only on the west side. but then again i haven't seen you to many times at the track.

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Isn't that what I said, Flash...???

CDR's bleachers were on the west side as well, built into the hill...high enuff so the whole track -drag strip, road course and oval could be seen from that vantage point.

Naw, I don't go to Bandimere much anymore...I think the last time I was there was for the Mile Hi Nats about four years ago...I don't have much interest in present day drag racing...

R-

19. BobG

BobG

There are bleachers on the east side of Bandimere also but the picture that was posted on this thread showed the Opel staged and you would of been able to see the old round tower if it were Bandimere, plus there wasn't enough room to park a car on the east side of the track like in the picture.

20. bastard

bastard
    from colorado

If I remeber right the 55 was Mustard then there was MustardII Which was a small import but can't remember what it was(may be an anglia 100e) Then there was mustardIII.

21. colorado51

colorado51

Exactly!

The motorhome was there too. I think it was going to be towed away for scrap or something. It still had the old NHRA Winternational stickers on it from the early 80's.

22. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

You OWN the B&B rail?, I have pics of it at CDR ,64/5. Their rails were Beautiful!

23. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

Taken at Sabers Show ,64/5. Red rail was named "Burgundy Bandit" owner/driver unknown. Roadster & Chopped Coupe unknown. Anyone have full length pic. of Osgood/Wilson rail? Any help to identify unknowns apprec.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
    Deuces likes this.
  24. BobG

BobG

I used to own and wish I still had it but I traded it off for a turn key Funny Car... seemed like a good deal at the time,

I bought the complete B&B car with the enclosed trailer and a truck load of spare parts, spare wheels and tires, clutches,
    I bought the complete deal from Dan Wardlow in Arvada Colorado for $4500.00,
    The car had been sitting in a truck and trailer storage lot out by Jolly Rancher Candies.
    The whole thing was like a time capsule.
    It had been locked up in the trailer for several years, all of the tires were flat on the trailer.
    When Dan finally found the keys to the trailer he opened the rear door and there sat this beautiful Mark Williams front engine dragster complete with an injected nitro 392 Hemi, Lenco 2 speed, a chrome rear end.
    The car had a Tom Statton custom paint job with "P A" lettered on the cowl. (Performance Associates)
    In the seat was the old helmet and fire suit.
    I couldn't wait to pay him for the car before he changed his mind about selling it.

After I paid for it and went and got 4 good used tires and wheels for the trailer, we took it to my buddies house in Strasburg and started getting it all ready for the trip back to Illinois.
    I started taking everything out of the trailer so I could not only see what all was there but to get it ready for the trip.
    In one of the trailer cabinets I even found a log book with the details and settings of each run and even found a brand new Lunatti roller cam still in the box, besides stacks of gaskets and boxes of bearings there were plastic bottles of BFI gear lube and a couple of cardboard cans of Pennzoil Racing Oil (yea a few leakers too)
    There were boxes of spare pistons, rods, fuel injection parts, sprare pump, spare mag... on and on.
    I couldn't believe the treasure trove that I just got.
    Attached is a picture of the car after I got it home.

25. BobG

BobG

sorry... Here's the picture of the car

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  26. ratso575

ratso575

BobG ,

have any pics from CDR (continental divide raceway) race track that was in castle rock ?

there are a couple more drag tracks still running in colo. juelsburg to the east and grand junction to the west .....
    I`m closer to albq. NM , run there all summer...

ratso

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  27. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

There was a link posted a few years back on here that had a archive of Colorado racers and tracks. Does anyone know the link? I've been looking all morning and can't find it. Back when it was posted I sent my Dad some photos. Shit someone has to remember that link.

28. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

If it was Colorado Racing Memories the site has been closed for awhile.

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

May I assume you didn't start at the front of this thread and read ALL the way thru...???

If you had, you would have noticed that link was www.coloroadoracingmemories.com , that site has been taken down...no longer available.

R-

30. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Being as I couldn't remember the link?? Good Job!