Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whatever happened to Gary Kollofski's 55 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ranunculous, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Jeff J

Jeff J

Thanks Bob ! There's more to the story but wanted to keep it short !

2. Yeah, the straight axle does stick out today. But in '77 it was pretty rare to see even Camaro clip swaps, let alone the Heidt/Fat Man etc. crossmembers which came along later. If something high tech had been available then (other than TF/FC or Alston-type setups that weren't durable enough for the street), Gary might have used it rather than the straight axle. At that time, though, straight axles were something of a Midwest drag racing tradition, elsewhere as well, and many a A-arm setup was cut out in place of one to make a bad-ass streeter.....if only in our own minds.:p

I'm not trying to slam the car at all, which was and is a favorite of mine. His execution and attention to detail was excellent, and most everything on the car had a purpose, not flash. If nothing else, the rear tires were under the car instead of 8" out in the breeze...shocking!

What I'm saying is that at that time, 1977, it was COMPLETELY different than almost anything else out there on the street. A case can be made that it set a new standard.

By '80-'81 or so, there were a reasonable number of similar cars out there...Ellenburger's Vega, Saboury's cars, that Hemi Duster (Paul? somebody), etc. By the late '80s/early '90s it seemed like you could find blown Pro Streeters in the automotive section at WalMart, lots of which were tri-5s...even in our little town of 170,000.

For what it's worth, the monochrome paint schemes & the ridiculous amount of flash was what killed Pro Street for me. Dobbertin's Nova, with its gauge panel extending all the way across the car, with 10 gauges or more, not counting tach & speedometer...yeah, right. I thought his Nova was a good concept but messed up in execution...JMHO.

The original Pro Street cars (not that they considered it necessary to have a NAME, for God's sake) looked like drag strip refugees. By the early '80s, Pro Streeters looked like car show refugees. Therein lay the problem...and that to me is the critical test that all Pro Streets must pass.

I think his '55 passes the critical test damn well. :)

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

I remember that 55, and I'm only 28...haha

4. brandon

brandon

this guy had something to do with the mentioned above cutlass , or did i remember that wrong..?:rolleyes::D

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Tazhog, do you own the 55??? That is the one we were initially talking about. Regardless, fill us in with details!

6. Jeff J

Jeff J

Yes I own the 55 and it's in my garage. Hopefuly next year my new garage will be done and will be working on it ! as for now been doing a complete remodel on the house we bought last august and trying to get it done .Fourth and third floors are done . Me , myself and I are doing it ,but lately we've all been wanting to do something else ! Like yesterday my wife wanted to take her corvette on the track at Lowe's Speedway and we did .What a trip the curve banks are cool !! The wifeee was in hog heaven !!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  7. Paul Y

Paul Y

I absolutley loved this car when I was a spotty teenager and love it even more now.

As a matter of interest what are the wheels on Rea's car? I have been looking to replace my exisiting wheels with a set of slot mags and these are exactly what I am looking for.

P.

8. You sir are now my hero!

Can we get a sneak peak of it in its blown apart state?

9. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

here are some photos I took of the '55 and the Willys
    unsure when, but I know they were at the Minnesota state fairgrounds

I have to keep searching my photos, I believe i have a side shot
    of the '55 as well...

that car really tripped my trigger then...
    as I was dragracing with a friend in his black '55 at the time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. brandon

brandon

^^^^^ those motor wheel flys make that willys.... i mean , i like halibrands , but they do not do this car justice....also appears that the rearend was changed along the way....b:D

11. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I met Gary this summer, he's a pretty nice guy. He has another '55 Chevy, an unrestored little old lady car...6 cylinder, three on the tree, tons of patina. :) At that time he hadn't made up his mind yet what he's going to do with it; he may just drive it as is, or he may put something outrageous under the hood. I think either way he's leaning towards leaving the interior/exterior original.

12. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I'll second that!!!

13. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

Gary lives just around the corner. super guy. i hit him with an email and a link to this thread, maybe he'll hop in.

14. 8-Track

8-Track

I just talked to Gary and told him about this thread. he is registering right now an will reply soon.

15. Kollofski

Kollofski

Yes I'm still alive, and thanks for all the wonderful comments. This thread brings back a lot of great memories.
    I would be interested in talking to the gentleman that has the 55.
    I drove to Detroit, on Christmas day, probably 20 years ago to buy the car back from a woman that got it from her husband, who was a friend of the guy that I sold it to. It was in rough shape as it had sat outside for several years. I ended up coming home without the car as she had an inflated value for it. Wasted trip. She called me several months later and asked if I was still interested, I was but told her that I did not trust her and I was going to pass.
    As stated in another post, I bought another 55 post about 2 years ago. I initially was going to put in a V12 BMW drivetrain, then a Duramax and finally my thoughts went to a V12 Torque 860 cu. in. motor. These have been my "plans" for the car over the past 2 years, and none of them have been carried out. I'm still in limbo. One friend suggested that I "clone" the original 55. That may just be where I should go. When I first bought it, I started a search for Motor Wheel fly's and found 4 fronts and 6 rears. I now have 4 12" wide rears and a pair of 10" rears. Anybody have any 14" rears?
    Any suggestions??
    Gary Kollofski

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I remember when both of those cars came out. There was simply NOTHING to compare at the time. I wanted a twin turboed Willys in a bad way. I found an all steel example in Florida and a friend of mine and I made a bonzai run (two days down and back, Michigan to Florida to Michigan) and the thrash was on. About $10,000 later I was out of money and time. Sold the project to a friend and it still sits today in the same condition. It's got a full tube frame, narrow 9in. on coilovers, custom fabbed independent front suspension w/coilovers, motor mounts and full 3" exhaust. The 4 bolt block, steel crank, H beam rods, custom forged turbo pistons and full roller setup were sold. I've tried several times to buy it back but it's not for sale. When he dies it will got to his daughter who will probably have it hauled to the curb for trash pickup or let some junk picker tow it away for $10. I check the obituaries every day.:rolleyes::)

Frank

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

These cars are traditional. but for a different era. if a car was built during a time in which the style was just starting or had become popular, I think you can call it traditional (when looked back upon it). just like the street freaks were traditional 70's or pro street cars were traditional 80's.... and one day G machines will be traditional millenium cars.. (it might have to be around 2040 when we look back)..

Kollofski: you could never go wrong building a duplicate of your original car if the original can not be located.

18. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Welcome aboard Gary. Your cars have been a big inspiration. I must have 5 or 6 copies each of the Hot Rod magazines your cars were in.

Duane

19. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Cool! Gary Kollofski on the HAMB too!
    Glad to see another of the "envelope-stretchers" has joined our forum.
    Hope you find a home here?
    Best wishes in what will definately be another interesting and bitchin' 55!Keep us posted please?

Call this new '55 the "Delian Constant" for now?

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Hey Gary! Welcome aboard.

You and I spoke via email about a year ago when I stumbled across your white/red killer boat for sale. I was ALWAYS a big fan of your original 55 and the pics are still standouts today. The no-nonsense stance and parts list was killer and timeless.

So... now that you are here, how about a story or two about the car? I am guessing there might be a few to tell!

Thanks for taking the time to check in with the HAMB!

And regarding the current owner, I would love to see some shop pics of what the car looks like now (in whatever state it is in).

21. c57heaven

c57heaven

The black 55 was an inspiration to me. I was 16 in 1977. For the longest time I wanted a Black 55. Bought one in 1979 then realized how nice a car had to be to look good in black. I saw the hot rod mag article in my head as soon as I saw the Kollofski name. It's great that the car's current owner and Gary managed to get into this thread. HAMB RULES!
    As I recall Cary Weisner had a 56 with flames in Hot Rod too.

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I saw the willys earlier this summer and was so disappointed with its new stance. way to high in the rear. the new owner does not have an eye for style. needs to get smaller rear tires and drop the ass down a bunch. that car was burned in my brain since the first time I saw it. I guess it was the twin turbo that did it.

23. squirrel

squirrel

This is wild...the builder and the current owner of a car that influenced a lot of people 30 years ago, here in an etherial bench racing session....

Computers are amazing

24. Kollofski

Kollofski

I sold the 55 to a gentleman in Detroit whose name, I think, was Dave. He had the car for a while and took it back to Greg Fleury and had Greg chop the top and install a complete tube chassis,different dash and a narrowed Dana rear. I believe Cary bought/got the frame with the tube axle and Pontiac rear. I think, remember this was 30+ years ago, the frame was around the Minneapolis area for a while and then I lost track of it. I don't think Tazhog aka Jeff Johnson has the "complete car". What he has is, maybe, the complete frame on another 55 body, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff. If so I apologize.
    The car that I looked to buy back, was the 55 with the chopped top and Dana rear, not the original. I have no idea where that 55 is now, but would be very interested in learning where it is today and in what condition.
    I remember driving the 55 in St. Paul, Mn. on a cruise night in the late 70's and watching 2 young men, on the sidewalk, as I was driving by, remember that a blower "whine" was not common then, looking at me coming towards them, in the street. They were so engrossed with the "noise" or the car that one of them walked right into a parking meter.
    I'm going to sell a pair of the front Motor Wheel Fly's and a pair of 10" rears and a pair of 12" rears, if anyone is interested. I'm planning on keeping one set of fronts and a set of 12" rears.
    Thanks again for all the kind/thoughtful words about the 55 and the Willys. I should also thank Gary Hedden and Greg Fleury for all the work that they put into both cars. Without their input/expertise neither car would have been possible.
    All of you have started me to think about which direction I should take with the 55 I now have. I will keep you informed.

Gary

25. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

DAM I love the HAMB! Your cars were way ahead of their time and were so cool! They have preyed on my mind for a long time now, always wondering what happened to them. Great to have you!

26. Shiftee

Shiftee

Gary do you have any pics you could post. Was my fav 55 when i was a kid still have that mag and man is it wore out!!!

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome aboard Gary! Great eye for style and detail!!

What's up with the present owner's NEW STANCE on the Willys? EEGAD!

28. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

So Tazhog, which one do you have? Have you contacted Gary yet?

B:)B

29. Kollofski

Kollofski

I spoke with the owner of the Willys several years ago and he had an accident, I believe, with a rear fly and could not find a mate, so he switched to the Hallibrand's. I think the fly's "made" the car and was sorry he switched.

30. Gary, welcome to the HAMB! We can never get enough legends like you on this board! I vote for resurecting the new 55 like the original. I remember it well in the mags and wishing I had a 55 like that. Once again welcome!