Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods When things seem to look wrong..but yet look all so right..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Hey Plowboy, I have too late of a start to make Detroit.........But you can sit on my lap anyways!!!.........Littleman

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

My problem is I have always leaned more torwards the Race orientation than the streetability......I do not believe in cars that look fast but can be walked by a modern Mustang or other current production cars.....My Truck is still streetable and has run 10.89, but all that noise in such a small package has not made it such a favorite w/ local enforcement..But it does what a HotRod should do.......run like snott.....The street Strip concept is a hard line to follow....Your better off building a purpose built race car if you really love Drag Racing........but thats no excuse to be tooling around in a slow HotRod either......if you want to call it a HotRod......I need a family type older car that just runs on pump gas..and when I get it or build it, I will not call it a hotrod because it will not be one by my definition...Hell my Divco sits on 10'' slicks......Its just the way I think....Littleman

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  3. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

Looks great. Can't wait to see it in color.

4. Dave "YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!" that car is my ultimate dream!!! cann't wait to see it done. I hope to meet you in person some day.

5. belair

belair

That thing went all the way through wrong and wound up back in right. Not many cars/builders can do that

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How about bringing it to Detroit as an unfinished project. I know it would be a break in the time you need to finish it but it might be just what you need at that time in the build to recharge the batteries and get some attaboys. Besides, I remember the stir it caused the last time it was there and I'd like to see it at the midpoint of it's revival and conclusion.

Frank

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Were you the cat with Jimmy Shine on the reality show?

8. Yes he is.

9. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Thank's T-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

betcha its faster than fat asses falconstein !

Later, Russ

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

He sells autographed 8X10's and the funny thing is... that there actual size.....

Hahahaa

I love my littleman... Hurry back to cali dawg were missing you..

12. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Damn. That car is so bitchen I wish I was wearing it as a T shirt.

Wait I AM wearing it! And YOU should, too. So he can finish it and I can get
    ANOTHER one!!

Just read his sig! Littleman t-shirt order here. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=257944

I don't know anything about any reality TV show. I met him in the rain along side the highway!

13. Handing off sandblasters and t-bird interiors! Doesn't sound like a movie star to me?!?!

14. UH-OH.... Falconstein is pretty cool in it's own right, different style car than DDS. Herb has done alot of cool work to it to get it where it is now. Herb is still tweaking on it and it'll move once he is done breaking it in/working out the bugs.

15. Rusty

Rusty

Man you are a HOTROD!!! Everything you do or think relates to speed and going faster. It was a inspiration to see you at Bowling green changing 6 sets of jets on some 94's why everyone else was tinkering with there computers and what not. This car is destined for the strip. I cant wait to see it a HHR 09.

On a side note. Is that 1 5/8 tube you are using? Are you making it so the body can be removed over it? How close are you getting to the body with the tube? I have always wondered how the weld was done around the top edge of a full roll cage. Make logical sense that it was stopped at the point that a tig torch could fit but I have seen plenty that were rite at touching and there was no way they could get a torch in there. Just curious fixing to start my first ful cage.

I am tired of going slow. So it is time to start the journey for speed.

Once again you guys rule. Tell Don i said hello, and the guy with the fast 51 I have forgotten his name.

Rusty

16. yngrodder

yngrodder

No, Jimmy Shine was on the Littleman show,

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

100% true quote of the year.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still one of my all time favorite builds and I miss seeing updates on it. There needs to be more VIDEO FOOTAGE of this car! :D:D:D

19. Dave, nice changes to the cage..gotta love them NOT showing from the side...BUT I GOTTA ASK, no one else has noticed that the rubber on the shop floor matches the slicks hanging above 'em????? musta been a stricky throttle:eek:....u huh...........hey if you decide to fiannally pull and change those seats, let me know, i think they'ld make for an interesting BENCH SEAT IN MY PROJECT....and if ya do decide to take a break and head to cobo, let me know......willing to help with setup or whatever..been there and helped some of the larger vendors setup...and work on the transport rigs.......mark

20. Bull

Bull

Usually what is done is holes are cut in the floor of the car so the the cage can drop down and top of the cage can be welded. Once the top is fully welded, the cage is raised up and attached to the floor with foot plates at the bottom of the down tubes. At least this is how I saw many cages done when I was SCCA road racing.

21. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Hey Rusty, Yes its 1 5/8'' DOM thats because once done it will be a rollcage.....If I was fabbing up a rollbar such as I did in my Pickup I used 1 3/4'' per NHRA regs....I always build and think out things like this as much as possible...I try not to box myself into a corner...always thinking ahead such as welding access ect......I have shorter attachments to put onto my Tig torch for tight spots such as shorter cups ect.......I will design and bend the cage only tacking it in place...once done I will tear it down...Remove the body..paint the frame......install body back on but will not bolt it down yet.....Tack in cage and double check overall placement......I will raise the body a few inches and fully weld the cage.......The cage will all be welded directly to the chassis......and with some minor repainting if needed I will bolt down the body....Thats if all works out.....I did this w/ my Truck, I raised the body up to aid access.....I also afix a mirror to aid in welding also along w/ a bright light.its hard to get used too.......It can be a pain........But I know of too many partially welded cages out their...granted they are on street cars for the most part...but its like doing only part of the job..............Rusty...The only thing I am missing is the four speed right!.....ha ha ah...Yes it was great to meet you and your father........that was a very hot day....well entire weekend....................Littleman

22. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I did something similar on a Camaro for someone.....you can get away with that on the unibody stuff.......My buddy who's car it was talked me into doing it that way...was not by my choice thou......I always like to weld to actual structure and not flooring......when I did it this way I also plated the bottom also...I bolted them together first.......This car needed frame connectors before he needed a cage..........Littleman

23. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Do you have a close up pic. of the side vents? Are you still affiliated with So Cal?

24. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I LOVE the Falconstein but herb is still a fat ass. see you at thomson run for beers ......Knuk, Knuk, Knuk

25. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Dave I love seeing progress on your cars. Im not as into as the racing side as you but I always like the way you go about it. Even though they are basically race cars they still have a great hot rod look to them. That is what im going to shoot for with my track T.

26. Cshabang

Cshabang

you're not the only one..haha

27. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I will look around for some pics.........I am not affiliated w/ anyone....but the back yard garage.......Littleman......they are just some swap-meet find hood side vents off of some rather large old car.....I just bought the hood.........

28. Appleseed

Appleseed

Attached Files:

29. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have less than a 1/4'' sidewall tire to body clearance which is not enough...the black scrub marks on the body tell the tale........I already have the least amount of back spacing available thru Radir Rims...and am currently running 3/4'' spacers and with that like I said I have less than a 1/4''...........Spacers on rims and DragRacing is not a good thing....its a bad practice anytime really when it comes to wheels....its done everyday....but I am not doing it.......When I built the coupe I robbed the rearend from another project...its a 1957 Ford housing w/ brand new Moser axles....but was just not long enough....so I need to make room........I slathered on some Dykem and marked the radius profile of the slick....cut on that arc........then cut back following the bottom of the bead line torwards the rear of the body....The idea was to push in on the front of the arc for the clearance and have it tapper into the back of the body.................jury is still out if I go this route....need to play with it some more.............Littleman

You can see how close the tires are to the body.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the cut......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  30. Love the car. Loved the show, I didn't know you turned down the job. Glad to see you working on this badass ride again, hopefully I can see it in person some day:rolleyes: