Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some of you say Gassers can't be driven...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonDust, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

hats off to that guy man! I hate when people say that certain cars cant be driven. My theory is that if it holds together than run it wide open. it doesent matter if its a gasser or an original Model T. Rods. Rods are made to be driven. Congratulations to that guy.

2. VonDust

VonDust

Couldn't have said it better myself, old cars are meant to be driven. I hate it when folks only get their cars out on the weekends only when its nice out. But then again, that's what set us (and some of you guys) apart from them. Yea, shit may break, but it makes it that much better of a car, and that much better of an owner/builder/driver to do so.
    So hats off to ya folks that drive them and drive them hard. :D

3. I'm putting an axle in my car soon. If you don't want to call it a Gasser I really don't care. I'm driving it everywhere. Radiused wheel wells, 4spd, BBC, Hiilborns. Yeah, it's a Gasser.

4. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

A friend of mine drivers his willys everywhere, up to 600 miles on some trips. I drive my 55 on the road, but having trouble with rules on getting the car rego in Australia. I have still got stock front end so I didn't know wheater you guys will still call it a gasser these a pic on the left.

5. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

567, if it looks like a gasser, sounds like a gasser and runs like a gasser then it must be a gasser. Your chevy looks good to me and you can call it whatever you want to. Don't get too hung up on peoples stereotypes. Just drive and have fun with your car. Thats what it's all about when the dust settles.

6. If I ever get my hands a 55 Chevy 2 DR SD, will radis the rear wheel wells, it will have a small block with a 4 speed, solid front axle, and will be driven on the street! At 62, it might take me a few more years, but I sure still like banging the gears like the old days!

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Absolutely they should be driven. One of our favorite shows is the Rock n Race in Ohio. For the past 2 years, we've driven 400 miles, raced all day saturday and came back the 400 miles on Sunday. My car is no speed demon, but it sure is fun to thrash it on the track and not be scared of the return trip home.

8. hell-boy

hell-boy
    from indiana

hats off to ya yancy. all gasser do and don`t aside, you inspire me to put some mileage on my ride.

9. The Shocker

The Shocker

I couldnt agree with you more .My car has 4.57 gears ( works great in town ,just a bit slower on the freeway),spool ,4 spd.,no power steering ,etc. and it goes everywhere i do. Drag strip, taking my daughter to school ,doctors visits,work every day ,you name it ,.I drove it all summer to when premium was 4 bucks a gallon .I refuse to drive a late model and i have driven nothing but pre 62 anything daily in the last 10 years .This makes the 5th hotord i have a had in the last decade ,and just because its Gasser styled makes no difference to me .The car is awesome and the responses i get from people at redlights ,gas stations ,etc. makes it just that much better to own .I have been following that Studebaker for a while ,and i think its totally cool ,and the fact the he drives it rocks .I thought i was a dying breed ...

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I just LOVE making parts runs with this old girl. Really gets the looks. But the best part, it drives very nicely. Take your hands off the wheel at 55, hit the brakes, goes straight. No bump steer either. But it is all about how it is built, isn't it. BBC with small blower, about 6psi. Gets decent mileage, but who cares. Love sitting up so high, better visability, you know.

Attached Files:

11. Large_911

Large_911

I read the article this morning. Congrats Yancy! I thought that was really cool.

I plan on throwing a straight axle under my 57 Olds next spring and driving & racing the hell out of it. It has nothing to do w/ a fad, I have always wanted to build something like this. Plus, it's different! (Yes, it still runs an Olds engine!!!).

Also, I liked blt4speedsince79 4 door. Granted I wasn't there "back in the day," but I have a fair amount of pics from the late 50's / early 60's that show 4 doors & wagons running gas class.

Cool thread -- this makes me want to go freeze my ass off and get working!

12. CalGasser

CalGasser

The title of this thread is "Gassers can't be driven" - It does not specify current Gassers or otherwise. FYI pan-dragger, though we don't run them now, all these cars have seen track time in the past: Bad News @ Santa Maria, Orange Cty.; Energizer- throughout So. Cal & Texas in the 60's & 70's; Dennis the Menace - Midwest to Cal. in AA/G and Duncan & Shores - Illinois & Cal. We don't run these cars anymore because of replacement value if these steel bodies ever got dumped.:eek: All these cars can run down the track with some tweaking. We just enjoy taking them to shows nowadays so people can poke fun at them and say "these cars don't run on the track..." :) A '55 Gasser is in the works and I'll be back down the 1320 - a car more affordable to replace if got dumped.

13. CalGasser

CalGasser

14. Cool ride, but how about that '65 Coronet Super Stocker in the background?

15. I think it was a cool read and I congradulate him on the effort.
    I drove my garage built Olds from Mo. to Va. when I was 18, my friends also had the bet going, most said they wouldn't have driven the car out of the county. I had one small mishap in the mountains of W. Va. got it fixed and that old car made the trip back and forth a few more times. I don't think I turned the radio on for the first three hours of that first trip, listening to every noise that thing was making..lol

16. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

since this is still active?>>>one of our customer/friends ...his room mate&roommates dad built a 40 willys all steel c/gasser...while they where waiting to have the driveshaft arrive the father died the roommate gave the car to crazy bill[583 olds rear/283v8...one seat]this was bills only car...he had just got his realtor lic...used 2or 3milk crates for his clients to sit on!!!...he had trouble with clients hiheels getting stuck in the carpet....[as he made $$$ he traded me parts[1968] that i now still use on my Aford]as we installed parts to make it more 'streetable']after 3yrs hard driving EVERY DAY he came in complaining hood didnot line up>>>the frame had broke at the fire wall...i did not have any spare$$ he sold it to someone in tujunga cal 1972....

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that one is for sale. Streetable, but barely. Runs very high 10's. PM me if interested. GOOD EYE:D

18. VonDust

VonDust

19. Gasser57

Gasser57

Congrats Yancy! I thought we were a dying breed. I'll pick up an issue and check that article out. That journey must have been a blast. See ya at the Rumble, you too, Dust. Now back to"What I THINK a Gasser should be, regardless of all documented history."

20. Larry T

Larry T

21. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

amen, that's what i'm talkin about gasser is an nhra term for a class of RACE car ..........thanks

22. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

Come on guys , all BS aside, it takes a pair to do that. Congratulations! Its a good reminder that we own the cars they don't own us.

23. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

lexan side windows, full spool, 3.73 gears, 11.2:1 compression, 500 plus horsepower driven at least 100 miles weekly.

This article was copied from www.gassermadness.com
    it pretty much clears up any argument of wat a gasser should be. in the 50's-early 60's anyway.

In 1958, a gas class racer was basically a hot street coupe. No engine setback was allowed, all gassers had to have working lights, wipers, starter, generator and all other street equipment. Fans and belts were optional, but radiators were required. The car even had to be currently licensed for the street. Full exhaust systems, including mufflers, were required but could be unhooked for competition, although they had to remain on the car. Those of you old enough will remember “cutouts” that were used back then up into the early 60’s.
    What all this provided for was a class for guys to run a “hopped-up” street machine. The cars were required to have full “factory-type” upholstery although two buckets could replace the standard bench seat as long as both were fully upholstered. Customs were allowed as long as the car wasn’t chopped, channeled or sectioned a total of more than four inches. “Four stock fenders” and a rear bumper were also required.
    Full transmissions were also required. “Quick-change rear-ends, locked differentials or ratcratchet-type rear-ends (high torque) are permissible with safety hubs.” Four-wheel brakes were required as well.
    There were only five gas classes, classified according to total car weight divided by total engine displacement cubic inches. Designations were A/G, B/G, C/G, D/G or E/G preceded by car number. Use of a supercharger moved you up one class. The breakdowns were as follows:
    <CENTER><TABLE id=table1 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=365 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width=106>Class A</TD><TD width=256>0 to 8.99 pounds per cubic inch</TD></TR><TR><TD width=106>Class B</TD><TD width=256>9.00 to 10.99 pounds per cubic inch</TD></TR><TR><TD width=106>Class C </TD><TD width=256>
    11.00 to 12.99 pounds per cubic inch​
    </TD></TR><TR><TD width=106>Class D</TD><TD width=256>13.00 to 13.99 pounds per cubic inch</TD></TR><TR><TD width=106>Class E</TD><TD width=256>14.00 or more pounds per cubic inch</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>​
    As you can see, this class was designed for what was basically a modified stocker&#8230;much like the later Modified Production classes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  24. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

thank you blt4speedsince79 thats what we built this car to be...................

25. Larry T

Larry T

26. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

couldnt agree more...

27. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

i built mine to be a street car that i could race. i just hate going to nostalgia events and getting put in the comp class with trailored race cars. i recently attended an awesome event and that happened after driving 250 miles in one direction with all my stuff packed down in the car. it still ran 11.8's all day. just to prove it was a street car the next day and almost 20 passes down the track later i unbolted the slicks threw them in the trunk along with the full size floor jack. put the street tires back on, capped up the headers, put air cleaner back on and re conected the fuel tank and toped it off with 16 gallons of pump gas and retarded timing. loaded 2 coolers packed with ice and almost 2 cases of lonestar, tool boxes, bbq pit, and bags of clothes and still ran a 13.00 @ 109 mph sliding into the other lane spinning all the way up into part of third gear and kept driving until i got back home. my point is you can do whatever the hell you want, especisally when someone doubts you or seys you can't.

28. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/quote]

driven almost daily high compression open headers spool and all... runs 11.8 @ 113 too.

29. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

drags are cool, but, the street is still neat!!

30. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

little does anyone know that shortly before that road trip I watched Yancey make a kid cry who was running away from a car full of girls who were going to beat him up. The best part, the kid had a ball bat as a weapon.